There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is Kaeps worth....?

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
You are crazy if you let Aldon go. Dude is a straight up beast and will be for years. The team let Charles Haley go and he owned the Niners as a Cowboy.

gee, thanks for making me relive that nightmare.
Give him whatever he wants.
Originally posted by MILFS:
if he leads us to the promise land this year and wins, he's priceless. give him the entire salary cap.

That's what they said and did with Flacco. We all saw how the Ravens ended up this year. You really want a potentially similar fate for your Niners?
Originally posted by enchantedskillz:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Aldon Smith had 8.5 sacks in his down year. He played in 11 games with 8 starts. Tell me where else can we find that.

probably no where, and i'm not saying we are gonna find that. but we can save some $ and find someone close to that.
Gallette, Mathis, Abraham, Houston, Orakpo, Pace, Brooks, Dumervil, Worrlids, Cole... on and on. Now I have no idea any of their contract situations. But i'm sure some of them can be had for cheaper and produce 10+ sacks a year.

If this were 1987 and free agency rules as they are today were in effect, would you let Reggie White go for say, Clyde Simmons? Or a Charles Mann? Both good pass rushers in their own right. But come on.
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Originally posted by MILFS:
if he leads us to the promise land this year and wins, he's priceless. give him the entire salary cap.

That's what they said and did with Flacco. We all saw how the Ravens ended up this year. You really want a potentially similar fate for your Niners?

the flip side of it, low ball him watch him laugh at it and spend another 10 years looking for a quality qb. every team with a young qb whos good is going to go through this.
Let him finish out his final contract year in 2014... draft an early rd QB this May... pay Crabtree and Aldon... let Kaep walk in 2015. In this scheme, we can always get a one read QB with a strong arm and good wheels. That way, no need to ever pay a QB 20+ mil a year. Just keep developing them quickly in this stacked team, and the recycled (and cheap) QBs can do well.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Let him finish out his final contract year in 2014... draft an early rd QB this May... pay Crabtree and Aldon... let Kaep walk in 2015. In this scheme, we can always get a one read QB with a strong arm and good wheels. That way, no need to ever pay a QB 20+ mil a year. Just keep developing them quickly in this stacked team, and the recycled (and cheap) QBs can do well.

its sad people think like this. its like they forgot the last 10 years.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joseglopez00:
Kap has (including the Postseason):

a 20-7 record
an NFC Championship and, consequently, a Super Bowl Berth
a 3-1 postseason record (only loss in playoffs is in the superbowl by 3)
a 36-14 TD to INT ratio
8.1 yards per passing ATTEMPT
6.9 yards per rushing attempt
12 rushing TDs
6 fumbles lost
(for a total of 48 TDs to 20 turnovers)
6 game-winning drives, including 5 in the 4th quarter...

Don't be driven by emotion, Kaepernick is a good QB with a ton of upside. He is the franchise QB and will be for years now. If you don't like it, please stop complaining about it and go be a Seahawks fan.
All that and you don't name a price?
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame

You'd think the decade of the 2000s taught people that good QBs don't grow on trees, and even number 1 overall picks can take years to develop. Kap may be great, you don't simply let greatness walk.
Originally posted by kronik:
He'll get more than Cutler

I hope not. He can walk if he wants a huge contract.
Originally posted by xela510:
Originally posted by kronik:
He'll get more than Cutler

I hope not. He can walk if he wants a huge contract.

then what? draft a guy and wait for him to develop while the core gets older? its not realistic.
Yeah let's let Kaep walk so we can go through 5 QBs a year like we did in the last decade. I am sure a 7th round pick like Cody Pickett or Ken Dorsey can fill in just fine for a QB that has already taken this team to the SB and is just getting started. All of the NFL teams that make the playoffs every year and have remained perennial contenders (NO, GB, NE, Indy/Den with Manning) all have one thing in common. They all have flaws somewhere on their roster but they all have franchise QBs.
Originally posted by socalniner:
The thing is, with his style of play (good or bad), we're always going to have to surround him with quality receivers that can get open which isn't going to come cheap. As we've seen in the recent past, not an easy thing to do.

Once this happens, say good bye defense. That's all the non NFC West teams are--explosive high dollar offenses with s**tty defenses since there's not enough cap space to have anything more than a serviceable defense, which in AFC terms are a bunch of high-resistance turnstiles.

We're not the only team in the NFC West that's going to face this issue. On the Shehags, Baby Jesus and Whoopi Sherman are going to want mega contracts and so something has to give. With QBs being payed so much, owners and coaches want to protect their investment, so they're going to have to protect his blind side with a top-tier guard and give him at least one elite target to throw the ball to. Then it's, "Hello, Lions/Cowboys." The days of dominant defenses may be a thing of the past.

But hey, we wanted an explosive, high-reward QB so, whatever...
[ Edited by BleedsRedNGold on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM ]

Okay, that's just flat-out crazy. Teams that are contenders year in and year out almost always feature an elite QB and a top Head Coach. The Niners have a top Head Coach who is in the process of molding Kaepernick into an elite QB. That's a process that goes on for years. You can't just draft an early round QB and assume he's going to be successful in the NFL. There are more failures at that than successes.

The other thing is that I don't think Kaepernick will demand $20 mil or more even if he is the Super Bowl MVP this year. Brady doesn't even make that kind of money. And, everyone sees what's happened to the Ravens and what's going to happen to the Cowboys and Saints as a result of their deals with Romo and Brees. I think Kaepernick, because he's still learning and loves playing for Harbaugh, will want to give a bit of a hometown discount to the Niners. I'll be surprised if there is any real contention at all on his contract.
Originally posted by crake49:

Okay, that's just flat-out crazy. Teams that are contenders year in and year out almost always feature an elite QB and a top Head Coach. The Niners have a top Head Coach who is in the process of molding Kaepernick into an elite QB. That's a process that goes on for years. You can't just draft an early round QB and assume he's going to be successful in the NFL. There are more failures at that than successes.

The other thing is that I don't think Kaepernick will demand $20 mil or more even if he is the Super Bowl MVP this year. Brady doesn't even make that kind of money. And, everyone sees what's happened to the Ravens and what's going to happen to the Cowboys and Saints as a result of their deals with Romo and Brees. I think Kaepernick, because he's still learning and loves playing for Harbaugh, will want to give a bit of a hometown discount to the Niners. I'll be surprised if there is any real contention at all on his contract.

forget about failures and success with a drafted qb. ask yourself the question do we want to go through the growing pains at qb with a win now roster? we just had these discussion 3 months ago when kaep wasnt playing that great. now he turns it on and some fans think we should move on before paying him. we're getting him at a discount now, we need to take care of him. i'm floored some people are thinking like this, i've seen about a dozen posters mention this, its insane.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home