There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is Kaeps worth....?

What is Kaeps worth....?

i would be ecstatic if the guy took less money and set some sort of example. i know tom brady did it, but thats in the late 30's after years of top tier money. if kaep or someone else does take less to help the team on their 2nd pro contract (usually the one guys try to cash in on) then i will tip my cap to them, but its just tough for me to see anyone doing it. i like what i heard from him today, but on the flip side, whats he supposed to say? i'm gonna take them to the cleaners? i'm still skeptical.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

"I think it's a balance," Kaepernick says of possible contract extension. Says he wants to be paid fairly but realizes others must be signed

what else would he say lol

"nah all da money go to me and a WR of my choosing"

Idk, Ron. I'd don't hear many football players talk like that. Most guys say, "that's something my agent will handle." Kap says he's telling his agent to give the Niners a team friendly contract. That's pretty special.

BTW, I think more QBs should realize that if they took less they might make more through endorsements if they can assemble a winning team. QB is probably the only position that can probably get away with that since they tend to be the face of the franchise. Breeze, Flacco, Romo and even Rogers might be good to great QBs, but I'll be surprised if they ever win it all again with their new contracts.
[ Edited by KungFuJoe on Jan 30, 2014 at 2:59 PM ]
I want to congratulate the guy for showing maturity & understanding how to keep a team at the top of the game, but I want to see a contract first that backs up his words.
Originally posted by KungFuJoe:

"I think it's a balance," Kaepernick says of possible contract extension. Says he wants to be paid fairly but realizes others must be signed

Idk, Ron. I'd don't hear many football players talk like that. Most guys say, "that's something my agent will handle." Kap says he's telling his agent to give the Niners a team friendly contract. That's pretty special.

BTW, I think more QBs should realize that if they took less they might make more through endorsements if they can assemble a winning team. QB is probably the only position that can probably get away with that since they tend to be the face of the franchise. Breeze, Flacco, Romo and even Rogers might be good to great QBs, but I'll be surprised if they ever win it all again with their new contracts.

Well, if I was blessed, and was a great player, I'd ask for a lot.... but with keeping in mind, I'd restructure IF it meant bringing in or keeping a guy we need to win. That way I could have an influence on how my benevolence is spent.

But that's all fantasy land. Who knows how many of us would go full A-rod with that much talent.
Originally posted by Geeked:

Well, if I was blessed, and was a great player, I'd ask for a lot.... but with keeping in mind, I'd restructure IF it meant bringing in or keeping a guy we need to win. That way I could have an influence on how my benevolence is spent.

But that's all fantasy land. Who knows how many of us would go full A-rod with that much talent.

I wonder if Kap realizes his current limitations as a QB. I'm still troubled by his lack of production when Crabtree was out. IMO, top QBs are very good at spreading the ball around. I just don't see that in Kap, yet.

Also, I wonder if his comment about Boldin and Whitner implies that he knows something behind the scenes about contract negotiations? Wishful thinking.

He might say nothing like Flacco did and just let his agents try to gouge the team for all they can.
He should be paid compensatory to the others. $80 Million or less.. Thats fair
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by crake49:
Here you go, doubters. I thought Kaepernick seemed like the kind of player who was "all-ball" and would take the big picture when it came to contract time and it looks like I was right about him:

"I think it's a balance. You want to be paid fairly for what you feel like you're doing in comparison to your peers," Kaepernick said. "But at the same time, you have to realize, if we want to get Anquan Boldin back, if we want Donte Whitner to come back, we're going to have to make moves to get them back. And there has to be room for everyone. And that's something I'm going to let my agent and the organization try to figure out. But hopefully, it's a position where we can assemble the best team we need."

This is what I am talking about in the beginning. Kap isn't selfish. He will get his money in due time. Other needs are more important, we need to get Boldin back, and maybe Whitner. Plus others who need extensions soon, Vernon, Willis, Boone, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati is likely gone. Kap is important, not saying he isn't, but we have a lot of guys to retain, so I don't see a $20M a year contract for Kap happening anytime soon.

That sounds all very nice, but we'll see exactly what kind of "team discount" actually happens.

Anquan Boldin and Donte Whitner together make over 10,000,000 dollars a year. That's ten MILLION dollars a year. Is Kap going to say goodbye to TEN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR, just so the team can keep those extra weapons?

"He doesn't have to give up that much...", you say? So he just says goodbye to, let's say four million a year. OK great, but that doesn't pay for EITHER Anquan Boldin or Donte Whitner.

"But Tom Brady cares about winning, Kap should follow his example." Huh? Tom Brady has already made tens of millions of dollars in his career, and his wife makes even more than him. Not only that, but Brady's contract is guaranteed for INJURY.
Kap is a young kid who has NOTHING GUARANTEED to him. He could get injured and then it's all over for him. It would be an absolutely UNPRECEDENTED move of Kap to throw ten million dollars a year into the garbage for "rah, rah, rah, team". It has never happened before, and once Kap sits down with his agent, all the nice TALK about how "everybody needs to get paid", will begin to look very, very, VERY expensive.

Kap has just made a huge mistake. Because of these comments, now fans expectations for the contract are going to be pure fantasy. If the contract is anything over 10 million, fans will turn on him, call him a "liar", a "cheat", etc. This is going to get ugly.

Kap, that was a very dumb thing for you to say.
Why are you assuming that Boldin and Whitner together make over $10 mil? Boldin refused to take a pay cut on a contract he had already worked out with the Ravens. He's also a lot older than he was when he worked that contract out. I don't expect him to demand anything close to that $6 mil a year as a 33 year old. Whitner is smart enough to see the writing on the wall - they let Goldson go last season and got a better Safety than Goldson in the draft. Reid has better coverage skills, was a solid tackler and had a grand total of zero flags thrown against him all season. Goldson was the most flagged safety in the league and even had to sit out a game with a suspension over unnecessary roughness penalties. So, the Niners can do the same thing this year. They can easily get the highest rated SS in the second round and Whitner is smart enough to know that.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I wonder if Kap realizes his current limitations as a QB. I'm still troubled by his lack of production when Crabtree was out. IMO, top QBs are very good at spreading the ball around. I just don't see that in Kap, yet.

Also, I wonder if his comment about Boldin and Whitner implies that he knows something behind the scenes about contract negotiations? Wishful thinking.

Kaepernick said his offseason will focus on getting better, not his contract situation. He is scheduled to begin his offseason workout program on Monday in Miami, he said. Kaepernick said he will work out at a training facility Frank Gore and Boldin recommended.

"To me, I'm trying to focus on what I need to do to get ready for next season and improve myself so I can help improve this offense and ultimately help win the Super Bowl," Kaepernick said.

Kaepernick said he will work on his all-around game -- not just his skills as a pocket passer.

"I think pocket passing is something is something that's overlooked as far as what I do," Kaepernick said. "I think people see me running around and they see me throwing on the run. They see me running down field and that's just what he does.

"When you step up in the pocket and make a normal throw, it gets overlooked because you're not running around. To me, it's something, yes, you want to get better at that. I want to get better at throwing on the run, going through progressions quicker, I want to get better at everything. But I don't think that (pocket passing) specifically is being addressed."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/kaepernick-next-contract-must-strike-balance
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Kap has just made a huge mistake. Because of these comments, now fans expectations for the contract are going to be pure fantasy. If the contract is anything over 10 million, fans will turn on him, call him a "liar", a "cheat", etc. This is going to get ugly.

Come on. $10 million would be a bargain for the Niners and you know it. If fans are going to be angry about that kind of number, they just have no grasp on reality.
Why are you assuming that Boldin and Whitner together make over $10 mil? Boldin refused to take a pay cut on a contract he had already worked out with the Ravens. He's also a lot older than he was when he worked that contract out. I don't expect him to demand anything close to that $6 mil a year as a 33 year old. Whitner is smart enough to see the writing on the wall - they let Goldson go last season and got a better Safety than Goldson in the draft. Reid has better coverage skills, was a solid tackler and had a grand total of zero flags thrown against him all season. Goldson was the most flagged safety in the league and even had to sit out a game with a suspension over unnecessary roughness penalties. So, the Niners can do the same thing this year. They can easily get the highest rated SS in the second round and Whitner is smart enough to know that.

Even if they cut their salaries in HALF (which is not happening). The same logic still applies. Kap would have say "adios" to five million dollars PER YEAR.
This kid isn't filthy rich like Tom Brady. He has a LOT to lose by being such a "great dude" and paying his teammates salaries.

Come on. $10 million would be a bargain for the Niners and you know it. If fans are going to be angry about that kind of number, they just have no grasp on reality.

If Kap makes ten million next year, it will be because he has a lot more guaranteed money coming later, and fans will complain about that too. I would hate nothing more than to mortgage our future with a balloon contract, that kills us in 3 - 4 years, but let's us sit pretty for 2 - 3 years.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Here you go, doubters. I thought Kaepernick seemed like the kind of player who was "all-ball" and would take the big picture when it came to contract time and it looks like I was right about him:

"I think it's a balance. You want to be paid fairly for what you feel like you're doing in comparison to your peers," Kaepernick said. "But at the same time, you have to realize, if we want to get Anquan Boldin back, if we want Donte Whitner to come back, we're going to have to make moves to get them back. And there has to be room for everyone. And that's something I'm going to let my agent and the organization try to figure out. But hopefully, it's a position where we can assemble the best team we need."

This is what I am talking about in the beginning. Kap isn't selfish. He will get his money in due time. Other needs are more important, we need to get Boldin back, and maybe Whitner. Plus others who need extensions soon, Vernon, Willis, Boone, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati is likely gone. Kap is important, not saying he isn't, but we have a lot of guys to retain, so I don't see a $20M a year contract for Kap happening anytime soon.

That sounds all very nice, but we'll see exactly what kind of "team discount" actually happens.

Anquan Boldin and Donte Whitner together make over 10,000,000 dollars a year. That's ten MILLION dollars a year. Is Kap going to say goodbye to TEN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR, just so the team can keep those extra weapons?

"He doesn't have to give up that much...", you say? So he just says goodbye to, let's say four million a year. OK great, but that doesn't pay for EITHER Anquan Boldin or Donte Whitner.

"But Tom Brady cares about winning, Kap should follow his example." Huh? Tom Brady has already made tens of millions of dollars in his career, and his wife makes even more than him. Not only that, but Brady's contract is guaranteed for INJURY.
Kap is a young kid who has NOTHING GUARANTEED to him. He could get injured and then it's all over for him. It would be an absolutely UNPRECEDENTED move of Kap to throw ten million dollars a year into the garbage for "rah, rah, rah, team". It has never happened before, and once Kap sits down with his agent, all the nice TALK about how "everybody needs to get paid", will begin to look very, very, VERY expensive.

I see what you've done with the math but I think most fans would be happy with a $15M p/a deal.

If Boldin & Whitner are good to take deals close to their current then I think it's very workable. Of course others will need to restructure, Willis, Davis & Bowman the likely candidates and have done so in the past. Gore's deal will certainly be scrutinized.

Rogers' & Brown's money should go to Aldon so I don't think we save there.
If Kap goes for $15 million annually he had taken a severe cut for the Niners based on the market right now. I am wondering if we can nab him for about $17 million annually?