Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
He should split his next contract with Golden Tate since hes such a fan of him

I must've missed something.

He instagramed a pic with a Seattle Seahwks hat and a tank top that says Golden Tate with a caption that said.....ITS ALL GOOD, IM YOUR #1 FAN....

Might have been shopped from this.

to this

Hahahaha yep thats it!!!! my friend sent this to me.....thought it was funny....me personally, I dont car about this kind of stuff
Originally posted by Niners99:
Joe Montana won the MVP of that SB by default though. He had a solid 1st half, but did NOTHING in the 2nd half while the Niner D held off a surging Bengals comeback. Without that goalline stand, wed have lost, and people would've been saying "why did Montana disappear in the 2nd half? He cant close big games." Montana had 25 passing yds in the 2nd half.

But that's not what happened and who's to say Montana wouldn't have passed for two more TD's if necessary at the end of the game? With a lead he didn't need to do so. His history, all the way back to ND, would indicate he would have won either way. His performance in the Snow Bowl (Cotton or Chicken Soup Bowl) was incredible. I liked him before that but when he came back and won that game in the forth quarter I became a lifetime fan...then the niners drafted him! What luck!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Joe Montana won the MVP of that SB by default though. He had a solid 1st half, but did NOTHING in the 2nd half while the Niner D held off a surging Bengals comeback. Without that goalline stand, wed have lost, and people would've been saying "why did Montana disappear in the 2nd half? He cant close big games." Montana had 25 passing yds in the 2nd half.

But that's not what happened and who's to say Montana wouldn't have passed for two more TD's if necessary at the end of the game? With a lead he didn't need to do so. His history, all the way back to ND, would indicate he would have won either way. His performance in the Snow Bowl (Cotton or Chicken Soup Bowl) was incredible. I liked him before that but when he came back and won that game in the forth quarter I became a lifetime fan...then the niners drafted him! What luck!

The Niners were up 20-0 at the half, and the Bengals scored 21 in the 2nd half. Its not like we didnt need more pts. He just fell flat.

Im not trying to disparage Montana's first ring, but the point was he didnt have his best game when it mattered most. He was still young, but in that case, his D picked him up. Kap's D let him down in the SB. Outside the fact thats its totally unrealistic to compare Kap to the best QB of all time, its unfair to say Montana was farther ahead at that point in his career, based on what his D did.
The Niners were up 20-0 at the half, and the Bengals scored 21 in the 2nd half. Its not like we didnt need more pts. He just fell flat.

Im not trying to disparage Montana's first ring, but the point was he didnt have his best game when it mattered most. He was still young, but in that case, his D picked him up. Kap's D let him down in the SB. Outside the fact thats its totally unrealistic to compare Kap to the best QB of all time, its unfair to say Montana was farther ahead at that point in his career, based on what his D did.

Here are two exerts about the 4th quarter of that game--each describing niner possessions after Bengal scores:

"But the 49ers countered with a 50-yard, 9-play drive that took 4:41 off the clock, and included Montana's 22-yard pass to receiver Mike Wilson and 7 consecutive running plays."

"The 49ers then ran the ball on 5 consecutive plays, taking 3 minutes off the clock, to advance to the Cincinnati 6-yard line. Wersching then kicked his fourth field goal to increase the 49ers lead to 26–14 with less than 2 minutes left in the game.

That's what was called for, not for Montana to potentially throw the game away for better stats. My point is that there is no reason to assume Montana wasn't orchestrating sound, good football during that forth quarter even though they only kicked two FGs. If they needed TDs they would likely have called different plays or taken more risks. At any rate, he didn't throw any interceptions nor did he fumble. I believe too many are hung up on impressive stats and heroics rather than cool, methodical play. Was he setting records? No. Was he doing the simple things that led to a victory? Yes.
Niners99--I hope you are enjoying this exchange rather than seeing it as overly argumentative! I enjoy your perspective and you have brought up some things where I may be in the minority among football fans. One reason I loved the WCO is for it's efficiency, even though it often lacked pazzazz. When someone passes for high percentage and medium to low yards, but scores enough to win,...that's my cup of tea.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:17 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
He should split his next contract with Golden Tate since hes such a fan of him

I must've missed something.

He instagramed a pic with a Seattle Seahwks hat and a tank top that says Golden Tate with a caption that said.....ITS ALL GOOD, IM YOUR #1 FAN....

Might have been shopped from this.

to this

Pretty sure he didn't instagram that. Someone photo shopped the original and posted it online.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
A Snickers Bar
Here are two exerts about the 4th quarter of that game--each describing niner possessions after Bengal scores:

"But the 49ers countered with a 50-yard, 9-play drive that took 4:41 off the clock, and included Montana's 22-yard pass to receiver Mike Wilson and 7 consecutive running plays."

"The 49ers then ran the ball on 5 consecutive plays, taking 3 minutes off the clock, to advance to the Cincinnati 6-yard line. Wersching then kicked his fourth field goal to increase the 49ers lead to 26–14 with less than 2 minutes left in the game.

That's what was called for, not for Montana to potentially throw the game away for better stats. My point is that there is no reason to assume Montana wasn't orchestrating sound, good football during that forth quarter even though they only kicked two FGs. If they needed TDs they would likely have called different plays or taken more risks. At any rate, he didn't throw any interceptions nor did he fumble. I believe too many are hung up on impressive stats and heroics rather than cool, methodical play. Was he setting records? No. Was he doing the simple things that led to a victory? Yes.

Funny how people look at numbers but almost never put them in context (or purposefully leave context out of the discussion) when trying to prove their point, ain't it?

For example: in the 4 quarters made up of the 2nd half of the win in Carolina and game in Seattle the 49ers outscored their opponents by a total of 17-3. While during those 4 quarters, a full 60 minutes / a full game's worth of play, Colin Kaepernick only threw the ball 8 times (4 in Carolina and 4 in Seattle).
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Funny how people look at numbers but almost never put them in context (or purposefully leave context out of the discussion) when trying to prove their point, ain't it?

For example: in the 4 quarters made up of the 2nd half of the win in Carolina and game in Seattle the 49ers outscored their opponents by a total of 17-3. While during those 4 quarters, a full 60 minutes / a full game's worth of play, Colin Kaepernick only threw the ball 8 times (4 in Carolina and 4 in Seattle).

Dont read so much into the details. The point is that Joe Montana was not the same QB in 1981 as he was in 1989 when he demolished the Broncos.

Expecting Kap to have a title because Montana was able to win one by that age isnt a very good way to criticize Kap, which is what some people are trying to do. Thats what im saying.

Montana had a pretty pedestrian game in SB 16 overall. The defense was the star of that first SB. If the Bengals convert the goal line TD, and end up winning the game, the narrative wouldve been "Montana stood by and watched his D blow the 20 pt lead. If Kap's D came up big for him last year in the SB, hed have that same ring, and nobody would be doubting his abilities about winning the big one.

Usually a QB with 29 career starts doesnt get to have 6 of them be playoff games. Kap is building important experience that some QB wait a whole career just to attempt. The next time we head into big playoff games, were going to have a QB in his prime that already has a ton of experience in those situations.

Dont read so much into the details. The point is that Joe Montana was not the same QB in 1981 as he was in 1989 when he demolished the Broncos.

Expecting Kap to have a title because Montana was able to win one by that age isnt a very good way to criticize Kap, which is what some people are trying to do. Thats what im saying.

Montana had a pretty pedestrian game in SB 16 overall. The defense was the star of that first SB. If the Bengals convert the goal line TD, and end up winning the game, the narrative wouldve been "Montana stood by and watched his D blow the 20 pt lead. If Kap's D came up big for him last year in the SB, hed have that same ring, and nobody would be doubting his abilities about winning the big one.

Usually a QB with 29 career starts doesnt get to have 6 of them be playoff games. Kap is building important experience that some QB wait a whole career just to attempt. The next time we head into big playoff games, were going to have a QB in his prime that already has a ton of experience in those situations.

And he will throw it into coverage for Crabtree after locking on to his 1st read resulting in a interception or incomplete.....

Montana won the Super Bowl by 25 btw. Kaep is 26. You got a lot of KaEXCUSES.

First selective, now revisionist.

Joe Montana was only brought up because you said (and I quote)...

At the end of the day, he just turned 26, and was finishing his first full season as an NFL starter. Put any 26 year old QB with less than 30 starts in the Title game and tell him to beat the NFL's best D on the road, and see what happens.

Otherwise no one would have made the comparison with Joe. You brought it up. But it is not just Joe. Tom Brady was even younger than Montana was in almost the same scenario (24 years old in first season as starter, had started even less games than Montana or Kaepernick had, had a "pedestrian" game if you just look at the box score).

Ben Roesthlisberger was even younger than all three of them, and while he had started a handful more games than any of them had at the time, was in a very similar place as Kaep was this offseason having had gone deep into the playoffs the season before and failing in the 4th quarter of the AFC championship game. But the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2005, even though Ben's numbers were not great to say the least, but he made the plays that needed to be made to win the game when it mattered. Even though he was just 23 years old and had not even started two full seasons in the NFL yet.

Montana, like Brady and Roethlisberger, did everything he needed to get his team a win when it mattered, and nothing to lose the game. Just because you look at the box score and don't see 300 yards passing and 4 TDs doesn't change that.

The point is, yes, there have been multiple times when 26 year old and younger players with less than 30 starts have been in a title game and asked to make the plays needed to win the game, and not make mistakes that would lose the game, and they came through. Pedestrian stats or not.

And the details matter more than anything when analyzing these things. You say Joe had a pedestrian game. Except his team was up by 20 at halftime and Bill Walsh decided not to throw it very much at that point. Why you would not pay attention to the context of the game makes no sense, unless of course it makes your point look weak? Then I understand why you would do this.

No one is trying to criticize Kap by bringing up Montana. His name was only brought up because of a point you tried to make. Yes, you can ask a 26 year old (or younger) QB to come through in a title game when his team needs it most. It has been done before and each time I can think of he's been able to make the plays he needed to make in the 4th quarter.

That being aid I don't blame Kaep for the Seattle loss or the Super Bowl (he certainly could have played better in both of them, but this is a team sport and it is never all on one player, good or bad). Just pointing out some facts after you tried to deflect and change the subject after you brought up something you didn't want people talking about anymore.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:28 AM ]
First selective, now revisionist.

That being aid I don't blame Kaep for the Seattle loss or the Super Bowl (he certainly could have played better in both of them, but this is a team sport and it is never all on one player, good or bad). Just pointing out some facts after you tried to deflect and change the subject after you brought up something you didn't want people talking about anymore.

Haha Welcome to the Zone
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
10 years $200 million fully guaranteed.
I'm just glad we didn't have to pay this guy multi millions of dollars for nothing.
Originally posted by susweel:
10 years $200 million fully guaranteed.

LMAO
Share 49ersWebzone