LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Method:
My point is simple: gutting this team for Kap would be a mistake. We can replace his production with any number of QBs, and Imo some rookie QBs and get the same type of stats (and better in the playoffs. Kaps playoff passing stats this season were horrendous). And the biggest thing... He's just not clutch at all. That's my biggest negative with him

You're way off. Kap's postseason stats are pretty good. In 6 games, he averages 230 passing yards and 85 rushing yards per game. He came through in the clutch big-time against ATL in the NFCCG. Lit GB on fire, twice. And came within five yards of completing the greatest comeback in SB history, a game that was lost by our defense and special teams.

But if you want to keep turning a blind eye and just put all the blame on the QB, go ahead. I thought we learned from the previous guy that it doesn't all fall on the QB.

oh

snap
My point is simple: gutting this team for Kap would be a mistake. We can replace his production with any number of QBs, and Imo some rookie QBs and get the same type of stats (and better in the playoffs. Kaps playoff passing stats this season were horrendous). And the biggest thing... He's just not clutch at all. That's my biggest negative with him

And which rookie QBs do you have in mind for this season or next? Eventually we're going to have to gut our team with a franchise QB.
I say keep him for next year and draft a young QB. Make them battle it out like Montana and Young (not comparing them at all). I think Keap needs someone to compete and feel in danger of losing his starting spot if he messes up. If Keap takes us to the promise land next year then he can get a nice contract. If he asks too much we know we have a backup plan too. Can't destroy a team for just one player.

the f**k, n***a......
Originally posted by pdizo916:
the f**k, n***a......

Summing it up Kap has trouble navigating the back field/pocket. He needs to get beyond the LOS to be effective and that gets risky. Kap will never be more than a back up with some play sporadic play making ability.
Originally posted by 4eninder:
Summing it up Kap has trouble navigating the back field/pocket.

Yes

He needs to get beyond the LOS to be effective and that gets risky.

No

Kap will never be more than a back up with some play sporadic play making ability.

Potato
Originally posted by 4eninder:
Summing it up Kap has trouble navigating the back field/pocket.

Yes

He needs to get beyond the LOS to be effective and that gets risky.

No

Kap will never be more than a back up with some play sporadic play making ability.

Potato

That summery was more "potato" than a potato salad prepared by Mr. Potato Head soaking in a bath of french fries.
I agree that gutting a team for any one player would be a mistake. But to say he isn't clutch shows you have an agenda.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Pay him the same amount as the highest paid QB that hasn't a SuperBowl. I guess that would be the fair market value.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:
Pay him the same amount as the highest paid QB that hasn't a SuperBowl. I guess that would be the fair market value.

Just because tools like Jerry Jones handed out massive contract to Tony Romo...doesn't mean that's fair market value.

...also, Kap is playing on his 2nd round rookie deal. He has clearly out-performed his contract and we should reward him for that. But, it also means that we can negotiate with him below market value. His next contract is when he will hold the upper hand (if he continues to get better) and at that time we will likely have to over-pay him. You don't want to over-pay twice. We want to keep this roster together for as long as possible.

well hopefully our failed season drops his price tag a little
You're way off. Kap's postseason stats are pretty good. In 6 games, he averages 230 passing yards and 85 rushing yards per game.

Out of all playoff QBs he's 9th to 12th (there were only 12) in all of the important QB averages in this year's playoffs.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:26 AM ]
Nope. I think this team is more talented since 2011. I think what we're suggesting is that while Kap is a dynamic QB, he probably goes 8-8 in this division with a less talented roster. Same could be said about Russell Wilson if his team wasn't so stacked.

So it's important to manage the cap, take a bit of a hardline stance, and structure a fair deal for him that still makes it possible to retain other key players. Instead of overhauling the roster like the Ravens had to do with Flacco.

This.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
You're way off. Kap's postseason stats are pretty good. In 6 games, he averages 230 passing yards and 85 rushing yards per game.

Out of all playoff QBs he's 9th to 12th (there were only 12) in all of the important QB averages in this year's playoffs.

Yep. He's been crap.

In your opinion, which rookie QB or veteran that we can realistically trade for could replace the overall production (stats and winning) of Kaep in the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone