LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

I think it isn't in Kaepernick's interest to sign any extension with low numbers (for example what Smith signed) this season. If he believed in himself, he'd work hard, get a really good year, then the 49ers would have no choice but paying him what Cutler got.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He certainly won't jump ship just for a few extra dollars. But it's going to be expensive to keep him, on par with what Romo and Cutler signed for IMO. That is unavoidable to me, unless we let him walk.

I would let him test FA if they can't come to a deal that keeps the team competitive.

I may have said this before but "Colin Kaepernick and a bunch of guys" probably goes 8-8 in the NFC West.
Originally posted by fastforward:
He did step up to the plate. Had Bowe not jumped Davis-style to get the nicely placed ball, his feet would have been in bound, and all the Chiefs needed to do was kicking a FG and win the game.

I thought I was the only one! I hate that about Vernon and was yelling at Bowe for it before I even knew he came down out of bounds...

That said Bowe WAS pushed before the ball got there. He still shouldn't have jumped, and his jump is the reason he came down out of bounds and it probably the reason the Cheifs didn't win that game, but there was blatant PI on that play that caused him to be closer to the sideline than he otherwise would have been.
I think Kaep will only improve from here on. We all know he's a one-read QB, surely JH will work on changing that in the offseason. Otherwise he's a running threat, has a laser for an arm and is still young and developing. Good grief, the guy has already gotten us to a Super Bowl and NFC championship game, damn near got us to a second SB this season... Pay the man and let's move forward. In this league you can't afford to play money games with your QB.
Originally posted by carioca49er:
I think Kaep will only improve from here on. We all know he's a one-read QB, surely JH will work on changing that in the offseason. Otherwise he's a running threat, has a laser for an arm and is still young and developing. Good grief, the guy has already gotten us to a Super Bowl and NFC championship game, damn near got us to a second SB this season... Pay the man and let's move forward. In this league you can't afford to play money games with your QB.

HE got us to the NFC Championship and Superbowl?

I'm pretty sure this is a team sport and the 49ers are the most complete/best TEAM in the NFL. THEY got to the Super Bowl and three NFC Championships in a row. Not HE.

In this league you can't afford to overpay your QB is what you should have said. We see what happens when you do that and its not good.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Gavintech:
He certainly won't jump ship just for a few extra dollars. But it's going to be expensive to keep him, on par with what Romo and Cutler signed for IMO. That is unavoidable to me, unless we let him walk.

I would let him test FA if they can't come to a deal that keeps the team competitive.

I may have said this before but "Colin Kaepernick and a bunch of guys" probably goes 8-8 in the NFC West.

Agree with you there.
Originally posted by carioca49er:

HE got us to the NFC Championship and Superbowl?

I'm pretty sure this is a team sport and the 49ers are the most complete/best TEAM in the NFL. THEY got to the Super Bowl and three NFC Championships in a row. Not HE.

In this league you can't afford to overpay your QB is what you should have said. We see what happens when you do that and its not good.

Trade him to Texans for their #1 pick and take Bridgewater. Win-win situation.
Apart of me wants to take Eddie D. and Carmen Policy's take on Kap, in terms of how his next contract will turn out. They both believe (in the time spent around Kap) that he's one of those 'guys' that's loyal to the franchise (guys who they had on 'their' team, like Lott, and Clark), and that Kap will take what Baalke offers him at the end of the day.

There's a lot of pressure amongst the teammates right now urging each other to take a pay cut to give it one more shot at a title. They don't wanna separate, this team is as focused/complete as it ever will be. If Kap takes a whammy contract, the first 3 years will be peanut money, like Brady's recent deal in NE near 64 Mil.
50-60 million max for 5 years. Don't think he should get more. He'll probably sign for 80 million for 5 years is my guess.

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Trade him to Texans for their #1 pick and take Bridgewater. Win-win situation.

Hmm. Would the Texans do that? Maybe. They need something to get the fans excited and we all know Kaepernick does that.

I like Bridgewater but I don't think the 49ers would (or should) do that either. They re favorites to win the Super Bowl next year already. Going to a rookie, even a polished QB like Teddy, would only hurt their chances at ring #6 in 2014.
I'd go 5 years 75 million. I don't think we have to overpay him since we have one of the few QB whispers in the game. We could go find another game manager in the draft although we would have to start over. Not to say Kap is a game manager he is capable of more and especially with what he brings running but with our defense and run game and the way we play we don't have to rely on the QB to win. Wish we would rely on him a little more though and go more 3 WR sets and start passing out of the backfield more. So anyways, I wouldn't overpay him (5 years 100 million or 6 years 120 million) because we have a lot of pieces to sign and we can't have 20 mil a year tied up into a QB that isn't Brees, Rodgers, Brady or Manning.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
He deserves a nice fat contract...

HOWEVER, if it's based on last years SB (final seconds at goal line) and the 4th qtr of this years NFCC, then he shouldn't even be offered a dirty penny off the ground!!!!

Agree with you there.

Hmmm...this team has had a similar performance for the past 3 years...that being losing or just short of making the superbowl. Are you suggesting that there was more talent on the team in 2011 before Kap started and we've gotten worse since and Kap has made up the difference? Or?
i think people underestimate Jim Harbaugh's ability to develop a QB. Look at what he did with Andrew Luck at Stanford and Alex Smith and Kap in SF. All three QBS made the playoffs this year. Harbaugh has proven he can take just about any QB and coach them to get to a higher level. In fact one could say Harbaugh got Alex Smith and Kap to overachieve in terms of their skill set.

The question then becomes is Kap really the ideal fit for the 49ers offensive style? would they rather have a pure passer and not worry so much about athletic ability and speed like Kap has? in the long run Kap will probably be more like a Michael Vick type QB.

One could say Kap is the most dangerous QB in the NFL from an athletic stand point but i think his passing ability probably will never be at the level of a Aaron Rodgers. But on the otherhand QBs like Rodgers usually dont have the speed and athleticism of Kap. So in the end you gotta choose which is more important athletic ability or passing ability.
Share 49ersWebzone