There are 359 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

• rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's not worth as much as the WZ believes but he will probably get paid a lot because the league is QB desperate. And anything moderately functional at QB will get paid. He has had success but mostly because he was handed the keys to a Ferrari and his defense really carries him. He's not doing it by himself. Plus he tends to choke at the worst times. Like 4th quarter in the biggest games. See Super Bowl and NFC Championship game vs. Seattle.

Lets see in the Super Bowl he led scoring drive after scoring drive in the 2nd half only to fall one short after Baltimore scored a TD in the 4th.

In this game he led a scoring drive to return the lead to 7 after Seattle tied the score.

In Green Bay this year every time GB scored he led a scoring drive on the next possession to keep the 49ers ahead.

In the Panthers game he came through and put the team into position to score when it was needed.

How many scoring drives did he lead in Atlanta to come back and win last year.

Not exactly the record of someone that chokes in big games.
Originally posted by ayetee:
Originally posted by NinersGiants:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think he'll be in the $100 mill range. Some of these dudes getting north of that aren't half the QBs Kap is. Kap has that "it" factor that a lot of these guys around the league just don't have. They're great fantasy point earners, but when the pressure is on, they fold. Kap turns it up a notch when that time comes. That's why he's gonna get paid.

"it" factor, he was 31st in passing through week 11 and had less running than Alex Smith lol

Kaep is capable of bring home the SB whereas it is a pipe dream with Alex Smith.

I agree did you see the Chiefs choke on a 28 point lead. Alex Smith managed to get his team
a couple field goals when the onslaught began. I know the defense didn't help him out, but you have to step up to the plate
When your team needs you.

For Kaep 6 years around $100 million is what I'd do.
Worst thing we can do is to blow up our salary cap when we extend Kap. Look what happen with the Ravens when they extended Flacco/ I know they have a short time line to get their money because it's a violent sport but say he gets the 120 million dollar extension, we wont have money to extend Crab, Iupati or Boone. His Oline will consist of free agents past their prime or rookies and his recievers will consist of the Jon Baldwins and Kyle Williams of the NFL. Counter productive.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
I agree did you see the Chiefs choke on a 28 point lead. Alex Smith managed to get his team
a couple field goals when the onslaught began. I know the defense didn't help him out, but you have to step up to the plate

You mean after his 2 best RB's and 2nd & 3rd receiving options were knocked out of the game. he was rolling with a triple covered Bowe and AJJ lol.

Keep Alex out of this thread everyone. It's not constructive or relevant.
When your team needs you

Not to get into this but he made a perfect play on that last pass to Bowe. Had it been complete they most likely kick a relatively short FG and win the game. Its not Alex's fault that no PI was called (Bowe was blatantly pushed towards the sideline before the ball got there) or that Bowe jumped for a pass that he should have caught in stride (my biggest NFL pet peave, Vernon Davis is the worst about doing this), which is the reason his second foot came down out of bounds.

Regardless of the outcome he did all anyone could to "step up to the plate when your team needs you".
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
Worst thing we can do is to blow up our salary cap when we extend Kap. Look what happen with the Ravens when they extended Flacco/ I know they have a short time line to get their money because it's a violent sport but say he gets the 120 million dollar extension, we wont have money to extend Crab, Iupati or Boone. His Oline will consist of free agents past their prime or rookies and his recievers will consist of the Jon Baldwins and Kyle Williams of the NFL. Counter productive.

The unfortunate truth.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:

The unfortunate truth.

What's the alternative? Get a new QB every 3-4 years? Just go pluck whoever off the franchise QB tree whenever we need to? Or maybe we should purposely go after mediocre QBs that won't command much money? That doesn't sound conducive to sustained success.

Guys, if you want to lock up a QB, any QB, long term as your franchise guy, you must pay him market rate. That's just the way it is. If we don't, someone else gladly will.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 22, 2014 at 5:49 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
15 million per year

If we can lock Kaep to a 5-6 year contract at that, we'll probably be lucky.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
What's the alternative? Get a new QB every 3-4 years? Just go pluck whoever off the franchise QB tree whenever we need to? Or maybe we should purposely go after mediocre QBs that won't command much money? That doesn't sound conducive to sustained success.

Guys, if you want to lock up a QB, any QB, long term as your franchise guy, you must pay him market rate. That's just the way it is. If we don't, someone else gladly will.

There are maybe 15 teams that don't already have a starting QB under contract long term that could even think about signing another one. Of those Kap probably has no interest in going to the vast majority of them, and of the ones he would be interested in going to they may not be able to make it work. In my estimation Cleavland, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, and Oakland (maybe the Jets if you think they want to bring on that dram after just drafting Geno Smith) are the only ones with cap space to sign a guy to a huge deal and a lack of the guy they want/are financially committed to under center already. And we have no idea how much the front office of any of these teams like Kap or would offer him.

The dude is going to get paid. But if paying him MAKES THE TEAM WORSE by making it so you cannot retain your best/core players and thins out your dept as well then yes, getting a new QB isn't the worst idea in the world. There is no reason to get stupid with his contract. Just because other teams go Sabean and bid against themselves until Joe Flacco is making $121 million, $52 million guaranteed, doesn't mean they all will make that mistake. Especially when we are not talking about a top 5 or 10 QB in the NFL (he may be one day, but sure as hell isn't today).

You think he wants to go to Oakland for a couple extra bucks?
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
If we can lock Kaep to a 5-6 year contract at that, we'll probably be lucky.

That is probably what he'll have on the table this year. It'll be take that or play out the contract and test free agency (or the 49ers will to franchise him). Security VS a chance to make more.

Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
So if Russell Wilson wins in two weeks does that increase Kaepernick's perceived value?

You mean "if the Seattle Seahawks win in two weeks", and the answer is no. It will not increase Kaepernick's value.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

There are maybe 15 teams that don't already have a starting QB under contract long term that could even think about signing another one. Of those Kap probably has no interest in going to the vast majority of them, and of the ones he would be interested in going to they may not be able to make it work. In my estimation Cleavland, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, and Oakland (maybe the Jets if you think they want to bring on that dram after just drafting Geno Smith) are the only ones with cap space to sign a guy to a huge deal and a lack of the guy they want/are financially committed to under center already. And we have no idea how much the front office of any of these teams like Kap or would offer him.

The dude is going to get paid. But if paying him MAKES THE TEAM WORSE by making it so you cannot retain your best/core players and thins out your dept as well then yes, getting a new QB isn't the worst idea in the world. There is no reason to get stupid with his contract. Just because other teams go Sabean and bid against themselves until Joe Flacco is making $121 million, $52 million guaranteed, doesn't mean they all will make that mistake. Especially when we are not talking about a top 5 or 10 QB in the NFL (he may be one day, but sure as hell isn't today).

You think he wants to go to Oakland for a couple extra bucks?

He certainly won't jump ship just for a few extra dollars. But it's going to be expensive to keep him, on par with what Romo and Cutler signed for IMO. That is unavoidable to me, unless we let him walk.
He certainly won't jump ship just for a few extra dollars. But it's going to be expensive to keep him, on par with what Romo and Cutler signed for IMO. That is unavoidable to me, unless we let him walk.

Right now I think the 49ers have a lot of the leverage. If he balls out next year, no biggie, slap him with the Franchise Tag. No shame in using the FT on a QB that the "market rate" is dictating you pay top 5 money no matter what. Still works out to a 2('14&15) year deal for 22-25M?

Meanwhile we draft a new QB in the 3rd and another again in 2015. We need another(couple) anyway just for the backup position. In 2016 after the FT has been used they can choose to pay him again or try out our previous backup at a starting role.

Kaep has 2 options, work out a deal(take a team friendly and make money off sponsors) or test FA. I'm fairly confident at least half of those teams looking for a Franchise QB today will be looking for one in 2 years time because bad franchises are bad.

So, Mr. One read, whatcha wanna do?
  • pfizz
I dont think it's as simple as just slapping the franchise tag and "no biggie". if kap balled out and the niners were forced to use the franchise tag it would instantly destroy the salary cap and put us way over the cap. Kap has all the leverage because if he doesnt get the contract he can bet on himself, at worse get the franchise tag(20m+) or sign a huge contract somewhere else.

He did step up to the plate. Had Bowe not jumped Davis-style to get the nicely placed ball, his feet would have been in bound, and all the Chiefs needed to do was kicking a FG and win the game.
Share 49ersWebzone