There are 25 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is Kaeps worth....?

What is Kaeps worth....?

A 4 year 60M extension is fair to both sides. He plays out his rookie year and then the extension kicks in. Gives Kap an opportunity to go for another extension when he's just 30. We don't have to commit to him for 6-7 years for $100M.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AUniner:
TBH I think we're at boom or bust now. I give him 3yrs 40m or let him play out next year.

let him demonstrate to everyone next year that he is elite, then pay him elite money.
if we get more of the same, then he is what he is, and we have a decision to make: go hardline on our offer and welcome him as only a good qb, or let him walk to a pie-in-the-sky team who overpays.
Originally posted by 4ML:
A 4 year 60M extension is fair to both sides. He plays out his rookie year and then the extension kicks in. Gives Kap an opportunity to go for another extension when he's just 30. We don't have to commit to him for 6-7 years for $100M.

If he gets an extension this offseason I would think that is as good as it is going to be. The 49ers have the leverage at this point in time and if he wants to get something long term he's going to have to be reasonable.

Since when was $15 million a year a slap in the face to a QB ranked in the bottom half in the league in most of the important categories a slap in the face anyways?

Just for kicks looking at the numbers of all 12 QBs in the playoffs (just using averages, not using overall because not all QB's played the same number of games) he was 11th in passer rating, 9th in Yards Per Attempt, 9th in longest completion, 9th in yards per game, 12th/last in completion percentage.

As much as he did running the ball these are not the kind of numbers that gets someone a franchise QB contract. $60 million over 4 years is more than fair (and that is only because this is the day and age of over-inflating starting QB's contracts).
15-17 mill a year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Do we have this record without the best D in the NFL? I don't care about last year, I really don't. The point that some of you are way to sensitive on is the fact that he can't do this alone. Manning throws a million TD's a season, that equates to points he's responsible for. He can have a s**t D because he can always come back and out duel 90% of other QB's. Kap is not that player right now, probably won't be next year either. And I'm fine with that, he's a different kind of player. But that means he will need help on both sides of the ball. We can't dismantle the D and give him nobodies at WR to play with...we can't win like that. Do you remember Kap without Crabs...imagine Kap with no Crabs and no Boldin. That's a very real possibility next year and it scares the s**t out of me. If we just throw 20+ mill at him you can kiss his favorite WR's good bye. How well do you think he performs with no help at the position, you think we fight for another Super bowl again? And while we deal with that on O, we also risk cap casualties on D? Imagine this year without Bowman or Aldon. We could seriously run into the losing Iupati, Boldin, Crabtree and maybe Aldon scenario if we just give him the world. You think we are a better team under those circumstances? I sure as hell don't and will be honest about it. You give him his worth to this organization but you also take his style and needs into consideration. If he needs a top level D and great talent at skill positions to win, you take those financial costs into consideration when his contract comes into play. Superbowl win or not his value to me doesn't change. Peg him around 15-17 mill per and explain winning is better then having another 4 mill a year and losing. If he becomes the "I must be the highest paid player in the NFL" guy...we move to option B. I like the kid but this is the San Francisco 49ers, not the San Francisco Kaps.

Great post. The reason the 49ers are so good, the reason they were leading the game yesterday, is because they are the most complete roster in the NFL.

If they blow up the salary cap and turn this team into "Colin Kaepernick and a bunch of guys" they would be lucky to go 8-8 in the NFC West.
Compare his QB rating to Wilson's last night. It was what, 53 something? That is what he is worth, 53 something milliion, total.

Had we not lost a superbowl on his watch, more.

Had we not lost a NFC championship on his watch, more

Were he a decent pocket passer, more

Were the 49ers not one of the worst rated passing offenses in the leage, more

Honestly, if he dressed and acted professional like Wilson, Brady, Manning,....more.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think he'll be in the $100 mill range. Some of these dudes getting north of that aren't half the QBs Kap is. Kap has that "it" factor that a lot of these guys around the league just don't have. They're great fantasy point earners, but when the pressure is on, they fold. Kap turns it up a notch when that time comes. That's why he's gonna get paid.

Originally posted by 4ML:

i like this. Kap still has a lot to learn before i consider him elite. if he can show that he's there or close, then we can talk huge payday when he's 30.
let him play it out in 2014 to determine his worth. Right now, i would say 10 million....
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Compare his QB rating to Wilson's last night. It was what, 53 something? That is what he is worth, 53 something milliion, total.

Had we not lost a superbowl on his watch, more.

Had we not lost a NFC championship on his watch, more

Were he a decent pocket passer, more

Were the 49ers not one of the worst rated passing offenses in the leage, more

Honestly, if he dressed and acted professional like Wilson, Brady, Manning,....more.

On the last paragraph I very much hope Baalke does not function dress sense into contract negotiation. And I think in general he acts professionally

I am assuming to be consistent you propose similar standards for the other players on the O?
Originally posted by English:
On the last paragraph I very much hope Baalke does not function dress sense into contract negotiation. And I think in general he acts professionally

I am assuming to be consistent you propose similar standards for the other players on the O?

I kinda like his strategy. Crabtree had 19 catches during the regular season... That's his worth... $19 mil over 5 years.

If another player was responsible for (3) turnovers in the last quarter...yes.
Let him earn his money so far he hasnt earned a long term contract, if we go into this season with a new offense new weapons n he still struggles let him walk n lets draft a good ol fashion drop back QB, im really starting to think these NEW mobile QB's cant get teams over the hump & win the Big one.

It is not just the 49ers, it is the other 31 teams, and it does have an effect on how team's value a player. QBs are required to be pros on and off the field. And, as the face of a billion dollar franchise, GMs/ownership do take the way they dress for press conferences into account.

I guarantee there are ownership groups that would shy away from Kap for the way he dresses/acts in press conferences alone. They would not want that to be the face of their franchise. Not all of them, but some. And the less competition for your services the less you tend to get paid (not all ownership groups bid against themselves to get.keep a player).
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Let him earn his money so far he hasnt earned a long term contract, if we go into this season with a new offense new weapons n he still struggles let him walk n lets draft a good ol fashion drop back QB, im really starting to think these NEW mobile QB's cant get teams over the hump & win the Big one.

So if Russell Wilson wins in two weeks does that increase Kaepernick's perceived value?