LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 148 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

Everybody wants to get paid but I've never understood why quarterbacks want to count 20 million against the cap and paralyze the rest of the roster. Players like Drew Bree's have the Saints in a hole where they can't sign anyone else.
3 year 24.5 million
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Everybody wants to get paid but I've never understood why quarterbacks want to count 20 million against the cap and paralyze the rest of the roster. Players like Drew Bree's have the Saints in a hole where they can't sign anyone else.

Probably because their career can be over in an instant and teams are willing to pay it. It's only a team sport on the field.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

Well, I think that if the Colts give Luck 20 a year than so should the 49ers give Kap.
Originally posted by sevenup3000:
Well, I think that if the Colts give Luck 20 a year than so should the 49ers give Kap.

Fair or not, Kaepernick was a second rounder and that will likely keep him below Luck...although Luck is a year behind him. It will likely be based on success--meaning Super Bowl wins.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Fair or not, Kaepernick was a second rounder and that will likely keep him below Luck...although Luck is a year behind him. It will likely be based on success--meaning Super Bowl wins.

How would that keep him behind Luck? If anything that makes it worst. Luck has already made more money than Kap has because he was drafted 1st.

Wilson and Kap (and Dalton) are going to go for broke on their second contracts because they were "raped" on their rookie deals, and need to make up on lost income.
Wilson is getting paid something like $500,000 this season. Kap not that much more.

Yeah, Kap actually should demand MORE than Luck or Newton or RGIII because of this.
[ Edited by sevenup3000 on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:05 PM ]
How would that keep him behind Luck? If anything that makes it worst. Luck has already made more money than Kap has because he was drafted 1st.

Wilson and Kap (and Dalton) are going to go for broke on their second contracts because they were "raped" on their rookie deals, and need to make up on lost income.
Wilson is getting paid something like $500,000 this season. Kap not that much more.

Yeah, Kap actually should demand MORE than Luck or Newton or RGIII because of this.

I don't think that's how it works. The CBA is what it is. They agreed with the owners to lower rookie salaries. No team is going to care about Kap, or any player's, lost income. Kap is going to get paid fair market value regardless.

Kaps gonna get paid bank. better get his deal done before some other a*****e overpays their guy and drives the market up. luckily the redskins and cowboys arent negotiating qb contracts this year otherwise kap gets 30mil a year
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:
3 year 24.5 million

LOL
  • slip
  • Veteran
If the 9ers don't win the super bowl then a packet of chips. Salt and Vinegar, my favourite.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't think that's how it works. The CBA is what it is. They agreed with the owners to lower rookie salaries. No team is going to care about Kap, or any player's, lost income. Kap is going to get paid fair market value regardless.

Exactly. That is what I am saying.

I said that Kap should get paid whatever Luck gets paid on his new deal. He said because Luck was the first overall pick, Kap will likely be below him. That makes no sense. In fact, that is MORE reason for Kap to be greedy because he has been under paid as compared to Luck and Newton.

If I was the 49ers, I would wait to see what Luck gets, and then give Kap about the same (obviously a SB win by either would change this).

But if I was Kap/his agent (or Wilson), I would actually try to get more than Luck/Newton given he was underpaid (of course, as you indicate, this may not work as the 49ers may not care).
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Exactly. That is what I am saying.

I said that Kap should get paid whatever Luck gets paid on his new deal. He said because Luck was the first overall pick, Kap will likely be below him. That makes no sense. In fact, that is MORE reason for Kap to be greedy because he has been under paid as compared to Luck and Newton.

If I was the 49ers, I would wait to see what Luck gets, and then give Kap about the same (obviously a SB win by either would change this).

But if I was Kap/his agent (or Wilson), I would actually try to get more than Luck/Newton given he was underpaid (of course, as you indicate, this may not work as the 49ers may not care).

Draft position should have no influence in negotiations. Not everyone can be number 1 overall. If he or anyone else feels they've been underpaid they need to look at their college careers and/or genetics. I'm sure anyone in the NFL is happy to be in the NFL.

Kaeps contract negotiations should already be in progress. Luck has to wait another year. I think Newton will be the first to get a deal from this class.
Thats are ! QB ! HELLO ! Faith !
Originally posted by AUniner:
Draft position should have no influence in negotiations. Not everyone can be number 1 overall. If he or anyone else feels they've been underpaid they need to look at their college careers and/or genetics. I'm sure anyone in the NFL is happy to be in the NFL.

Kaeps contract negotiations should already be in progress. Luck has to wait another year. I think Newton will be the first to get a deal from this class.

This next Sunday will determine a lot about both their salaries.
Share 49ersWebzone