LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

Whatever contract you think Andrew Luck deserves, Kap deserves about the same. Whatever Stafford desires, Kap desires. Whatever Dalton gets, Kap should get a little bit more.

If you think that the Colts should let Luck walk at the end of next season to get a cheaper QB, so should 49ers.

The only fan bases that that I hear making statements about their QB such as just let him walk and he has not proven to be a franchise QB are Carolina, Seattle, and 49ers

In Philly, Cinny, Kansas, and Chicago, even the Dolphins and St. Louis I am reading about what kind of contract they deserve. Only in Carolina, Seattle, San Fran, and Washington am I seeing statements like: just let him walk after his contract and draft his replacement.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Screw paying a QB more than 15 mill, we see what it did to the Ravens. In this pass happy league where you can't touch the QB or the WRs and Rookies are coming out more prepared than ever I would not blow all of my cap space on a QB. QBs like Brady, Manning, and Brees can keep your team viable but they will not solely win you a super bowl. Unless Kap goes out and destroys every opponent we face from here to the Super Bowl (if we get there). I wouldn't seriously consider paying him more than 10 mill a season but if he did I would give him the other 15 mill.

Unless you plan on being stuck with the Jason Campbell's and Matt Flynn's of the world and/or have no interest in winning anything, be prepared to pay a QB that isn't on their rookie deal more than 12 million per season.
Screw paying a QB more than 15 mill, we see what it did to the Ravens. In this pass happy league where you can't touch the QB or the WRs and Rookies are coming out more prepared than ever I would not blow all of my cap space on a QB. QBs like Brady, Manning, and Brees can keep your team viable but they will not solely win you a super bowl. Unless Kap goes out and destroys every opponent we face from here to the Super Bowl (if we get there). I wouldn't seriously consider paying him more than 10 mill a season but if he did I would give him the other 15 mill.

Yet they have all won SBs, while the rest of the league can only dream of a SB appearance as they continually cycle through QBs.

You need stability at QB for a prolonged period of time if you want to be a consistent contender. You have to find that guy.

So you agree with me that Kap should be dealt to Houston for their #1 pick
Originally posted by sevenup3000:
Whatever contract you think Andrew Luck deserves, Kap deserves about the same. Whatever Stafford desires, Kap desires. Whatever Dalton gets, Kap should get a little bit more.

If you think that the Colts should let Luck walk at the end of next season to get a cheaper QB, so should 49ers.

The only fan bases that that I hear making statements about their QB such as just let him walk and he has not proven to be a franchise QB are Carolina, Seattle, and 49ers

In Philly, Cinny, Kansas, and Chicago, even the Dolphins and St. Louis I am reading about what kind of contract they deserve. Only in Carolina, Seattle, San Fran, and Washington am I seeing statements like: just let him walk after his contract and draft his replacement.

They have the same problems we have - except Redskins of course. They need RG3 plain and simple.

Seattle & Carolina both have dominant defenses that the fan base knows without them they don't win. I and many others on this board believe likewise. There are also many that are saying QB is the highest priority by a mile and screw the rest of the team.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yet they have all won SBs, while the rest of the league can only dream of a SB appearance as they continually cycle through QBs.

You need stability at QB for a prolonged period of time if you want to be a consistent contender. You have to find that guy.

Hard to believe people don't get that by now.
Originally posted by AUniner:
They have the same problems we have - except Redskins of course. They need RG3 plain and simple.

Seattle & Carolina both have dominant defenses that the fan base knows without them they don't win. I and many others on this board believe likewise. There are also many that are saying QB is the highest priority by a mile and screw the rest of the team.

The QB is the most important position and the highest priority, but that doesn't mean screw the rest of the team.
His worth is 80M but he is likely to get around 100M
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Guess something similar to this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world....

Most long-term NFL contracts amount to three-year projections. In the case of quarterback Jay Cutler's new deal with the Chicago Bears, that's especially true.According to contract details obtained Monday by USA TODAY Sports, Cutler didn't receive a signing bonus on the seven-year, $126.7 million contract he signed last week, instead getting guaranteed base salaries of $22.5 million in 2014, $15.5 million in 2015 and $16 million in 2016.That essentially makes it a three-year, $54 million contract, with rolling club options each year from there and no salary cap repercussions if the Bears release Cutler anytime after the 2016 season because there's no bonus to prorate.None of the money in the deal's last four years — base salaries of $12.5 million in 2017, $13.5 million in 2018, $17.5 million in 2019 and $19.2 million in 2020, plus $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses each season — is guaranteed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bears/2014/01/06/bears-jay-cutler-contract/4341931/

I could of told you that, lol

I see it as a deal like that if they go the 6 or 7 yr route. I still say he should take a 4yr $65M deal. That's $16.25 million a year average. At most a $72M deal, which is $18 million a year average.

I could be wrong, but I believe you structure deals like that (guaranteeing years instead of giving guaranteed signing bonuses) only if you presently have plenty of cap room to spare. There's no way we, given our tight cap situation, could have one player take up $22.5M in cap room next year and still be a viable team. We'd have to clean house to do that.

The Cutler/Chris Long-type deals (guaranteeing years) give teams flexibility down the road, allowing them to cut high-salary players with no cap hit in the later years of the deal.

Going the "guaranteed money" route allow for the opposite....it provides lower cap hits on the front end of the deal (which gives teams more present flexibility) but higher cap hits on the back end of the deal. IMO, we'd have to take this approach with Kap and then hope to restructure his deal later when the high salary years come in to play.
My question for all of you that think he isn't worth 100mil. What makes a guy worth that amount?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Guess something similar to this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world....

Most long-term NFL contracts amount to three-year projections. In the case of quarterback Jay Cutler's new deal with the Chicago Bears, that's especially true.According to contract details obtained Monday by USA TODAY Sports, Cutler didn't receive a signing bonus on the seven-year, $126.7 million contract he signed last week, instead getting guaranteed base salaries of $22.5 million in 2014, $15.5 million in 2015 and $16 million in 2016.That essentially makes it a three-year, $54 million contract, with rolling club options each year from there and no salary cap repercussions if the Bears release Cutler anytime after the 2016 season because there's no bonus to prorate.None of the money in the deal's last four years — base salaries of $12.5 million in 2017, $13.5 million in 2018, $17.5 million in 2019 and $19.2 million in 2020, plus $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses each season — is guaranteed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bears/2014/01/06/bears-jay-cutler-contract/4341931/

I could of told you that, lol

I see it as a deal like that if they go the 6 or 7 yr route. I still say he should take a 4yr $65M deal. That's $16.25 million a year average. At most a $72M deal, which is $18 million a year average.

I could be wrong, but I believe you structure deals like that (guaranteeing years instead of giving guaranteed signing bonuses) only if you presently have plenty of cap room to spare. There's no way we, given our tight cap situation, could have one player take up $22.5M in cap room next year and still be a viable team. We'd have to clean house to do that.

The Cutler/Chris Long-type deals (guaranteeing years) give teams flexibility down the road, allowing them to cut high-salary players with no cap hit in the later years of the deal.

Going the "guaranteed money" route allow for the opposite....it provides lower cap hits on the front end of the deal (which gives teams more present flexibility) but higher cap hits on the back end of the deal. IMO, we'd have to take this approach with Kap and then hope to restructure his deal later when the high salary years come in to play.

Yeah, I can't see them not giving Kap a signing bonus. We can't afford a $20M+ cap hit for a QB in the next 2 seasons, 2016 we have about 78M in cap room.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
My question for all of you that think he isn't worth 100mil. What makes a guy worth that amount?

I'm not say he isn't worth it. I am saying if he is smart he takes a short deal, and then ashes in 2 years after with a huge deal. I think Kap is better than Romo and Cutler. Even Ryan. Whatever Luck gets, Kap will get.

The price your team pays for not having a franchise-type QB who's only in his 1st full season and is already on the cusp of leading this team to back-to-back SB appearances. That, my friend, is a heavy price to pay and is WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than giving Kap $100M.

The gamble is a simple one....do you think he's going to get better or worse going forward? If you think he's going to get worse, let him walk or offer him a deal that is less than QBs who haven't accomplished what this guy already has (see Cutler, Stafford, Ryan, Romo). But if you think this guy can actually get better (which I happen to) even after everything he's already done, you pay him AT LEAST what those other guys are getting.

The line is already drawn, you can't skimp on paying top QBs in the NFL. If you have a franchise QB (or what you consider a potential franchise QB), you:

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:55 PM ]

I'm not say he isn't worth it. I am saying if he is smart he takes a short deal, and then ashes in 2 years after with a huge deal. I think Kap is better than Romo and Cutler. Even Ryan. Whatever Luck gets, Kap will get.

This.
I think a deal worth between 15-18 million a year would be fair for both sides. 6years for 90mil is what I would shoot for.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone