LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I get what you're saying BUT guys use salary as a measure of their worth to their teams, company organization etc. This is a business and guys treat it as such because the teams treat it that way. Imagine if the 9ers don't want to pay him and say the Texans do, think he leaves? Hell yes he does, still a good team and let's not forget no state taxes and 5+ million more. I would bounce and he would too IMO.

That's a definite possibility but there are a number of reasons for taking less money, including the endorsements. If he went to NYJ then the endorsement argument wouldn't hold water, but Houston? Sorry, but "Hi, I'm Colin and I love Enron" doesn't really sound very promising. JK but there is a lot to love about California and the Bay Area. New stadium, endorsements, close to Hollywood, great team with an improving line, two first rate receivers and likely more after the draft, several first rate RBs...He will be a wealthy guy no matter what. Hope he gets good advice.
If he wants to play with 0 vet talent and have no D to bail him out....he better make a wise deal. Would he rather play with Kyle Williams and Patton or Boldin and Crabs?
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Plus they likely take a QB #1, Teddy, Manziel, or Bortles.

You would think so but lots of talk of a trade too.
Originally posted by jreff22:
If he wants to play with 0 vet talent and have no D to bail him out....he better make a wise deal. Would he rather play with Kyle Williams and Patton or Boldin and Crabs?

Wait. How does a handsomely paid Manning have weapons like Damaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas ?
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:

Wait. How does Manning have weapons like Damaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas ?

They don't have the payroll on defense like we do. Imagine our D without Bowman this year if we couldn't afford him.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
It depends. If we extend him this offseason, he might be willing to take a serious discount to mitigate the '14 injury risk. Still, it'd still likely be north of $100 million/at least $45M guaranteed after seeing these deals that clowns like Stafford, Romo, Cutler, Ryan, etc. have gotten. And he's great and I love him and he'll deservedly get that, but it does make you wonder just how enticing the possibility is of just always going with cheap-ass dudes on rookie contracts knowing we have by far the best QB guru on the planet who knows how to identify gems and turns anything he touches into gold. Would enable us constant massive financial flexibility everywhere else on the roster. Wouldn't really ever have to fear guys like Crab, Aldon, Iupati, etc. getting away if we don't want them to (barring another team flagrantly overpaying)

Trade him to Texans for 3 #1's. We can draft Bridgewater and in a couple years time Bridgewater's replacement!!

/sic...... sort of. Fkn intrigued now.
I dunno but unlike college he won't be standing outside of the Reno 7'11 waiting for fans to by him snacks. A friend of mine bought him stuff several times. Lol. He'd always reply, "thanks momma" because she was in her late 30's. I don't watch college ball so at the time I didn't think much of it.
[ Edited by Olejohnnyboy on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM ]

Wait. How does Manning have weapons like Damaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas ?

They don't have the payroll on defense like we do. Imagine our D without Bowman this year if we couldn't afford him.

Exactly my point. There are still ways to provide weapons to a highly paid QB. Manning isn't the only one. The money we need will have to come from the D. That means letting go of our older defenders. After this postseason is complete and hopefully with our 6th superbowl championship, I think Baalke will rebuild the D with cheaper younger talent while keeping core young defenders (Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Brock, Reid) .

I have a feeling Justin Smith will retire if we get the ring. His retirement should save us some space. I would love to cut Carlos Rogers and let Whitner walk. That'll save some space as well. We will have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft. If Baalke can hit a homerun with this upcoming draft while this year's draftee's (Carradine, Dial, Lattimore) hopefully become ready, we should have plenty of talent coming in. Out with the old, in with the new. That's the NFL

We might take a step back next year, but our future will be setup for the next decade imo.
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:50 PM ]

Exactly my point. There are still ways to provide weapons to a highly paid QB. Manning isn't the only one. The money we need will have to come from the D. That means letting go of our older defenders. After this postseason is complete and hopefully with our 6th superbowl championship, I think Baalke will rebuild the D with cheaper younger talent while keeping core young defenders (Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Brock, Reid) .

I have a feeling Justin Smith will retire if we get the ring. His retirement should save us some space. I would love to cut Carlos Rogers and let Whitner walk. That'll save some space as well. We will have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft. If Baalke can hit a homerun with this draft and this year's draftee's (Carradine, Dial, Lattimore) become ready, we should have plenty of ammo to replace some guys and still maintaining a very good team.

We might take a step back next year, but our future will be setup for the next decade imo.

Let me start by saying this isn't a Kap "hater" response, but a reality check.

He is not good enough to win on his own. Guys like Brady and Manning have done that for years. Kap has had an all world D at his disposal since the beginning. The D has kept almost every game within an easy reach for most of the season. The last time I looked we had an average score of 13 and change scored on us. Kap is not at the point where we can give up 28 a week and still win. Without the D, loads of field goals, and key turnovers and ST play...we aren't in the playoffs. He just isn't good enough to dismantle the D and give him the remaining cash. And if we need the cash after a monster deal, would he take a cut like Alex? Look at it like this, why was Boldin let go? They couldn't afford him after the Flacco deal, do we want that?

and regrading Trent...

He has one one stellar draft, one s**t draft, and one unknown draft. I'm not willing to bet the farm on that body of work.

I have a feeling Justin Smith will retire if we get the ring. His retirement should save us some space. I would love to cut Carlos Rogers and let Whitner walk. That'll save some space as well. We will have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft. If Baalke can hit a homerun with this draft and this year's draftee's (Carradine, Dial, Lattimore) become ready, we should have plenty of ammo to replace some guys and still maintaining a very good team.

Let me start by saying this isn't a Kap "hater" response, but a reality check.

He is not good enough to win on his own. Guys like Brady and Manning have done that for years. Kap has had an all world D at his disposal since the beginning. The D has kept almost every game within an easy reach for most of the season. The last time I looked we had an average score of 13 and change scored on us. Kap is not at the point where we can give up 28 a week and still win. Without the D, loads of field goals, and key turnovers and ST play...we aren't in the playoffs. He just isn't good enough to dismantle the D and give him the remaining cash. And if we need the cash after a monster deal, would he take a cut like Alex? Look at it like this, why was Boldin let go? They couldn't afford him after the Flacco deal, do we want that?

and regrading Trent...

He has one one stellar draft, one s**t draft, and one unknown draft. I'm not willing to bet the farm on that body of work.

You're not a Kap hater? I can tell just by your post you worship the old "pocket passer" pass for alot of yards type QB's and think it's all that is holy. But I got news for you. The NFL is evolving. It's always evolving. Those guys haven't won jackcrap for a long time. Championship teams these days are getting good at stopping these one dimensional threats. But the type of QB defenses have the most problems with are the QB's that can pass and throw. Why? Because it adds an element defenders and game plans can't account for.

Oh, you like to give credit to the D and our kicker, but it seems you do not give any credit to Kaepernick who accounted for 325 of the team's 377 yards of offense. His success is not limited to just this previous playoff game. Look at last year's playoff games. In fact, he has been amazing in all 4 playoff games. In last year's playoff games against GB and ATlanta and the Baltimore Ravens, where was our awesome defense?? Teams were scoring at will against our 'great' D

I think you're living in a past world fellow
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM ]

You're not a Kap hater? I can tell you worship the old "pocket passer" pass for alot of yards type QB's and think it's all that is holy. But I got news for you. The NFL is evolving. It's always evolving. Those guys haven't won jackcrap for a long time. You like to give credit to the D and our kicker, but you do not give any credit to Kaep who accounted for 325 of the team's 377 yards of offense. It's not just this playoff game. Look at last year's playoff games. BTW, do you realize how young he is and how he is only going to get better?

It takes a full season before you get to the playoffs. Without the supporting cast, Kap is not in the playoffs. Funny that you mention I'm a stats guy when your argument is stats...ironic? One great playoff game doesn't wipe out a season of struggle. I was one of the few who were talking about Kap early. Go look in the Kap thread and you will see me talking about him during the Senior Bowl practices. I don't need a pocket passer, but I do need strong play week in and week out. And at this point his play has not shown he can do it all alone. One over expensive player can cripple a roster...Flacco, Fitzgerald, Bradford etc etc. If Kap can't spread the ball to a second WR not named Crabtree, it's more wise to ask for less and keep his favorite player.
7 years 130 million (More than Flacco or Rogers) but with 45 guaranteed.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:35 PM ]
You're not a Kap hater? I can tell just by your post you worship the old "pocket passer" pass for alot of yards type QB's and think it's all that is holy. But I got news for you. The NFL is evolving. It's always evolving. Those guys haven't won jackcrap for a long time. Championship teams these days are getting good at stopping these one dimensional threats. But the type of QB defenses have the most problems with are the QB's that can pass and throw. Why? Because it adds an element defenders and game plans can't account for.

Oh, you like to give credit to the D and our kicker, but it seems you do not give any credit to Kaepernick who accounted for 325 of the team's 377 yards of offense. His success is not limited to just this previous playoff game. Look at last year's playoff games. In fact, he has been amazing in all 4 playoff games. Against GB and ATlanta and the Baltimore Ravens, where was our awesome defense??

Teams that are winning SB's are playing good defense. Ravens & Giants did this. Even Green Bay & NO lead the league in turnovers because of defensive pressure.You can't dismantle the defense in order to throw money at Kaep.

When was the last time a running QB won the Superbowl... eventually someone is going to hit him and he won't get back up in a hurry. The NFL isn't going to protect running QBs.
Originally posted by AUniner:

Oh, you like to give credit to the D and our kicker, but it seems you do not give any credit to Kaepernick who accounted for 325 of the team's 377 yards of offense. His success is not limited to just this previous playoff game. Look at last year's playoff games. In fact, he has been amazing in all 4 playoff games. Against GB and ATlanta and the Baltimore Ravens, where was our awesome defense??

Teams that are winning SB's are playing good defense. Ravens & Giants did this. Even Green Bay & NO lead the league in turnovers because of defensive pressure.You can't dismantle the defense in order to throw money at Kaep.

When was the last time a running QB won the Superbowl... eventually someone is going to hit him and he won't get back up in a hurry. The NFL isn't going to protect running QBs.
Letting Whitner and Carlos Rogers walk doesn't mean dismantling the defense. Why is it so difficult to imagine playing without those guys?

We still have Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Brock, Brooks, Reid, Culliver, etc... Was it a big mistake to let Goldson walk?

Nate Clements, Takeo Spikes,... it's not a big deal to replace vet defenders with younger guys ... I have faith in our scouting department. Maybe you guys don't have as much faith as I do.
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM ]
Hes going to get 100 mil with 50 guaranteed. What hes "worth", im not sure.

The only thing that matters is that in the NFL, you need a franchise QB to win titles, and were going to hold on tight to Kap regardless of the cost.
Share 49ersWebzone