LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

the link is worth clicking to see the stats he put in there.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Yes, others (myself included) brought Alex up. We did so in context of expectations and salaries.

Somehow that means we're hung up on him and we're calling for the replacement of Kap. That is the argument you're making and it is disingenuous.

Look bro agree or disagree with me but don't call me a fraud. I'm not some snake oil salesman. I am responding to what I am reading. If you don't like it. Fine. But no need to shoot me as disingenuous. Cmon bro. If you same me in the flesh you would know what a straight shooter I am. Might not always agree with me but being a phony ain't my style
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by MrJoeCool:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Yards per attempt. Alex was, and still is, one of the lowest in the league. Kap is one of the highest.

"Yards per attempt" is a much stronger correlation to the highest rated quarterbacks, than "Yards per game".

Yes let's reward attempts [Could be incomplete pass, could be interception] over actual yards....moving the football. You are a clown. Please stop posting already scrub.

It's yards-per-attempt, not attempts. Two different things. Understand the post before you insult someone.

For the record, your statment is false. In 2012 Alex was at the top of the league (2nd place?) in YPA. Which is even more impressive when you consider he did it with a hand injury for 2-3 games. Sure his average went down in 2013. New offense, new chemistry and you're really going to say he had as much talent to throw to in KC as he had in SF in 2012?

Come on.

Right....but there is a reason.

Smith had a good yards per attempt because he threw short passes at a high completion %. Kap has a HIGHER YPA with a lower comp% because he is pushing the ball down the field far more than Alex ever did.

Don't disagree, but the results were similiar at the end of the day. Kap was more explosive, Alex was more consistent. Which brings us back to..if the results are the same, why pay more?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Yes, others (myself included) brought Alex up. We did so in context of expectations and salaries.

Somehow that means we're hung up on him and we're calling for the replacement of Kap. That is the argument you're making and it is disingenuous.

Look bro agree or disagree with me but don't call me a fraud. I'm not some snake oil salesman. I am responding to what I am reading. If you don't like it. Fine. But no need to shoot me as disingenuous. Cmon bro. If you same me in the flesh you would know what a straight shooter I am. Might not always agree with me but being a phony ain't my style

I didn't say you were..I said your argument was.
Yards per attempt. Alex was, and still is, one of the lowest in the league. Kap is one of the highest.

"Yards per attempt" is a much stronger correlation to the highest rated quarterbacks, than "Yards per game".

Yes let's reward attempts [Could be incomplete pass, could be interception] over actual yards....moving the football. You are a clown. Please stop posting already scrub.

It's yards-per-attempt, not attempts. Two different things. Understand the post before you insult someone.

For the record, your statment is false. In 2012 Alex was at the top of the league (2nd place?) in YPA. Which is even more impressive when you consider he did it with a hand injury for 2-3 games. Sure his average went down in 2013. New offense, new chemistry and you're really going to say he had as much talent to throw to in KC as he had in SF in 2012?

Come on.

Smith had a good yards per attempt because he threw short passes at a high completion %. Kap has a HIGHER YPA with a lower comp% because he is pushing the ball down the field far more than Alex ever did.

Don't disagree, but the results were similiar at the end of the day. Kap was more explosive, Alex was more consistent. Which brings us back to..if the results are the same, why pay more?

Because they aren't the same.

Getting a particular stat to almost even out doesn't equal "the results are the same".

Come on.

Getting a particular stat to almost even out doesn't equal "the results are the same".

You're absolutely correct on the bolded. But this was the stat that was pointed to as a differentiator. I was pointing out that there wasn't much of a difference.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Mar 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM ]
If these $17-20 million average demands are accurate, I'll lean heavily towards playing out 2014 before getting too far down the road with Kap.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
If these $17-20 million average demands are accurate, I'll lean heavily towards playing out 2014 before getting too far down the road with Kap.

its a slippery slope though, short of him bombing and flaming out, the price is only going to grow. as evidenced in that la canfora piece stating how the ravens wanted flacco at around 16.5 million, he declined and played it out, then that became 20 million per.

If you believe anything in the la Canfora article, then that would not be a smart thing to do. As the caption below the very nice photo of Kaepernick says, "The sample size is small, but Colin Kaepernick's numbers as a starter are elite."

I'm beginning to think a contract that looks like $18 mil a year would be a bargain for the Niners. But let's keep in mind that even if it looks like that, it doesn't mean anything close to an $18 mil cap hit especially for the first 2 or 3 years.
Money quote from towards the end of the article:

"The warts in Kaepernick's game -- a completion percentage below 60, for instance -- only stand to improve, and his accuracy I suspect will shine over time (recall he played almost exclusively in the shotgun in college in an offense that, at the time, was considered a novelty). He is just starting to morph into what he will become, he has the kind of size and speed and instincts that cannot be taught, and he has thrived despite having to deal with some offensive limitations around him in terms of game-breaking personnel."

What I like about this is that it acknowledges that he is actually NOT surrounded by a "stacked" offense like some posters around here like to pretend. As I keep pointing out, where is the outside speed you see on almost every other team in the league? The good news is that this looks like a great year to pick that up in the draft.

Originally posted by crake49:

If you believe anything in the la Canfora article, then that would not be a smart thing to do. As the caption below the very nice photo of Kaepernick says, "The sample size is small, but Colin Kaepernick's numbers as a starter are elite."

I'm beginning to think a contract that looks like $18 mil a year would be a bargain for the Niners. But let's keep in mind that even if it looks like that, it doesn't mean anything close to an $18 mil cap hit especially for the first 2 or 3 years.

....they might negotiate that he play this year under his current deal and then the extension hits NEXT year....IE a true "extension" of his contract.

6 years, 120 million.

#questfor6,7,8

I think what happened was that 49ers viewed Alex as a bandaid on a super bowl roster all along. I didn't want to believe it but the way things played out speaks volumes. They drafted Kap played Alex courted Manning paid Alex bandaid starter money then elevated Kap now they want to pay him like a franchise guy. Its just what I see
  • pd24
  • Veteran
18 is right on the money. It is what he is worth in the NFL today. If we don't sign him for that and wait until next year, it will be more with the Cap going up and other Qb's about to get paid.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I think what happened was that 49ers viewed Alex as a bandaid on a super bowl roster all along. I didn't want to believe it but the way things played out speaks volumes. They drafted Kap played Alex courted Manning paid Alex bandaid starter money then elevated Kap now they want to pay him like a franchise guy. Its just what I see

Might be true.
Share 49ersWebzone