There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is Kaeps worth....?

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by crake49:
Things change. Trends get upended. With these two contracts, certainly Romo's contract and to a lesser extent, Brees, I think the NFL owners group already realizes certain things have gotten completely out of hand.

Yep. I think the other players have too. There is going to be a per/top paid player cap in the next CBA. I have no doubt. There will only be about 10 NFLPA members that are against it and the other 1,680-something or so will be all for it.
franchise QB


http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/eight-teams-alive-nfl-playoffs-one-thing-common-210639050--nfl.html
Originally posted by jreff22:
Is Kap good enough to play with a bunch of nobodies and destroy defenses? No. Is Kap good enough to lose talent on D? No.

The defense kept us in every game this year and without that effort, we lose a lot more games. We can't pay Kap a sum that let's superstars on both sides of the ball walk. He's a 15 mill per max guy.

BINGO!

The question is are the 49ers and Kaepernick smart enough to realize that? I say yes on both accounts.

He's not going to be able to go to another team with a front 7 like the 49ers, an offensive line like the 49ers, the running game of the 49ers, and special weapons like Crabtree and especially Davis. If he gets a contract the likes of Romo or Flacco ALL of these areas will suffer and there is no doubt the 49ers know this and also no doubt Colin knows this himself.
Originally posted by susweel:
franchise QB


http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/eight-teams-alive-nfl-playoffs-one-thing-common-210639050--nfl.html

So glad we have a franchise QB. After all these years of searching.
highest paid qb in the nfl
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 16,030
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Is Kap good enough to play with a bunch of nobodies and destroy defenses? No. Is Kap good enough to lose talent on D? No.

The defense kept us in every game this year and without that effort, we lose a lot more games. We can't pay Kap a sum that let's superstars on both sides of the ball walk. He's a 15 mill per max guy.

BINGO!

The question is are the 49ers and Kaepernick smart enough to realize that? I say yes on both accounts.

He's not going to be able to go to another team with a front 7 like the 49ers, an offensive line like the 49ers, the running game of the 49ers, and special weapons like Crabtree and especially Davis. If he gets a contract the likes of Romo or Flacco ALL of these areas will suffer and there is no doubt the 49ers know this and also no doubt Colin knows this himself.

Those questions have not been answered, so let's stop pretending they are facts.

If money were no factor, which QB would you rather have Kap, Cutler, Romo, or Flacco ?
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by crabman82:
matt ryans 2nd contract after 1 playoff win: 6 years 113.7 million

joe flaccos 2nd deal after a sb win : 6 years 120 million

A.) Those were both horrible decisions by their respective GM's. No one else was going to pay either of them that much in free agency.

B.) They were after longer periods of time and more success. Ryan had just come off his 5th season throwing 4,719 yards and 32 TDs with a 69% completion percentage. He was their offense! Kap has been in the league for three and only started a season and a half. His first year as a starter he threw for 3,179 yards and 21 TDs with a 58% completion percentage. While that is a pretty good year, especially when you factor in his rushing yards and TDs, its nothing like what Ryan did the year before he got his contract.

Joe Flacco's deal was straight retarded. Such a good deal they lost Anquan Boldin and probably a playoff birth for it.

Not sure why people keep acting like other team's mistakes mean everyone is going to make the same mistake.

It's called, "the market." I'm not saying you're being illogical, I'm just saying you're not taking into consideration the leverage Kap has in terms of the going rate for "franchise QBs" and even more so if we win a title in the next few weeks (back-to-back SB appearances would undoubtedly qualify him as a franchise QB). Both sides will do their thing...the team will talk about his lack of comparable production, Kap's side will talk about how the Harbaugh system isn't set up for huge production from its QB, etc., etc., etc. Ultimately, if we want to keep Kap, we'll have to pay him at the Ryan/Rodgers level....if we don't, trust me, someone else will. And though you might say "fine, go ahead and walk then," I highly doubt this organization will let that happen. Particularly if he brings home a 6th title.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:40 PM ]
Since Crabtree made his season debut in week 13, CK7 has the 3rd highest total QBR in the NFL
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Those questions have not been answered, so let's stop pretending they are facts.

If money were no factor, which QB would you rather have Kap, Cutler, Romo, or Flacco ?

Depends on the rest of the roster but in general I would say...

Romo,
Kap,
Flacco,
Cuttler

with Romo/Kap being hard to decide for 1/2 and Flacco/Cutler being hard to decide for 3/4 but being far behind the 1/2 spots.

As far as those questions not being answered the only way they are not is if you are saying those people are stupid.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Those questions have not been answered, so let's stop pretending they are facts.

If money were no factor, which QB would you rather have Kap, Cutler, Romo, or Flacco ?

Jeez, I'd rather have Kaepernick any day than any of those guys.
Romo over Kaepernick? That's hard for me to get my head around. Somebody would rather take a veteran who clearly has a hard time winning playoff games over a young guy who has already shown that he performs well in playoff games and wins them? I don't get that.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
It's called, "the market." I'm not saying you're being illogical, I'm just saying you're not taking into consideration the leverage Kap has in terms of the going rate for "franchise QBs" and even more so if we win a title in the next few weeks (back-to-back SB appearances would undoubtedly qualify him as a franchise QB). Both sides will do their thing...the team will talk about his lack of comparable production, Kap's side will talk about how the Harbaugh system isn't set up for huge production from its QB, etc., etc., etc. Ultimately, if we want to keep Kap, we'll have to pay him at the Ryan/Rodgers level....if we don't, trust me, someone else will. And though you might say "fine, go ahead and walk then," I highly doubt this organization will let that happen. Particularly if he brings home a 6th title.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them let him walk if nothing less than a Ryan/Rodgers deal will get it done. I don't think it would happen until after the 2015 season because they can keep him until at least then and there is nothing (outside of holding out) he can do about it though.

That is why I think they'll draft a QB early in this year's draft. For one because they need a backup and also because they've proven they can put together a complete team that can win with whoever they put out there. A competent O-line and top notch D will do that for you.
Originally posted by crake49:
Romo over Kaepernick? That's hard for me to get my head around. Somebody would rather take a veteran who clearly has a hard time winning playoff games over a young guy who has already shown that he performs well in playoff games and wins them? I don't get that.

That is because you think one player/position wins and loses games in the NFL.

Romo's issue is the Cowboys do too, and they make it so he has to do it all himself. On the flip-side the 49ers do the exact opposite. They make it so the QB does not have to do it alone and the team will still win a lot of games if the QB is not having a great go of it (witness: a large portion of this season). I have no doubt if Romo was the QB of the 49ers the team would have been just as successful, if not more so, than we have been the last three seasons.

That being said his contract was horrible for a Dallas team that already had a lot of holes to fill.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM ]
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 16,030
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Those questions have not been answered, so let's stop pretending they are facts.

If money were no factor, which QB would you rather have Kap, Cutler, Romo, or Flacco ?

Depends on the rest of the roster but in general I would say...

Romo,
Kap,
Flacco,
Cuttler

with Romo/Kap being hard to decide for 1/2 and Flacco/Cutler being hard to decide for 3/4 but being far behind the 1/2 spots.

As far as those questions not being answered the only way they are not is if you are saying those people are stupid.

Lol @ Romo over Kap. It was a rhetorical question.

And the question of Kap being a guy that can't beat defenses or win games without help, or whatever, are silly questions. The guy carried us in the NFCCG in Atlanta last year. There are other games he stepped up, but he's only a year and a half a starter. To say definitively, this or that, is silly at this stage. I'd even say that there's so much evidence to the contrary that Kap can't do those things, that saying he can't shows an inability to properly assess his body of work.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
That is because you think one player/position wins and loses games in the NFL.

No, I don't think that at all. But Romo has been around a long time and has choked so many times, thrown the misguided interception at the wrong time late in games, that I think he's proven to be one of those guys who just doesn't get it done. Plus, he's towards the end of his career, whereas Kaepernick is just getting started. I can't imagine choosing Romo over Kaepernick at this point.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home