There are 258 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Film analysis Carolina Panthers

Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm not going to post all stuff from week 10, but it is interesting that all of the 49ers opponents in the NFC playoffs will be opponents they've already played this year. So there's already some film in terms of head to head matchups. I'll try to post any tendencies that are noticed by the Panthers from other games as well.

I can say for certain that CAR played majority zone coverage throughout this week 10 game. We know there was no Crabs, VD for just about a half, and also lost Vance halfway. The 49ers offensive line had trouble with blitz pickup and also the basic 4 man rush. Defensively, the 49ers made Cam hold onto the ball with good coverage. Having Aldon back for the whole game is really going to force Cam to speed up his decision making.

They also torched us with deep comebacks in the 4th quarter.

Killed us with em. Seems like Brock struggles with this.
Do you think Roman made that call to kick a FG, or was it Jim, the head coach? I get that you hate Roman, but come on, cc.

In my mind Harbaugh made the call. Hes conservative on a fundamental level so in a defensive battle like this points are at premium and with a score like 10-9 he's right too.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed. If Ham runs a pick on the safety that ended up giving VD the concussion, the throw to VD has a chance to score.

Excellent point...And if CK throws the ball a tad bit more out in front of VD towards the corner, that helps as well. VD doesn't have to jump or slow down or break stride.

Since we are talking about VD. It should be noted that even when he doesn't have to... he still prefers to jump for the ball which makes him slow down and break stride.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Agreed. If Ham runs a pick on the safety that ended up giving VD the concussion, the throw to VD has a chance to score.

Excellent point...And if CK throws the ball a tad bit more out in front of VD towards the corner, that helps as well. VD doesn't have to jump or slow down or break stride.

Since we are talking about VD. It should be noted that even when he doesn't have to... he still prefers to jump for the ball which makes him slow down and break stride.

LOL...this is true!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Boldin and Manningham were both open, that was a bad play by Kaepernick by locking in on VD.

I remember that last play. I felt Mario should have slanted shorter right into the group of 3 defenders or stopped right in front of them for a short curl. This play appeared to be a one read designed timing play to VD on the motion out similar to what we used to run for Jerry. Take a look at Mario on the gif. He obviously runs around the group of defenders as his initial vector was right into the group. If he seals that or even cuts in front of them, they don't catch VD and it is VD one on one with the CB which I will take anyday.

If you notice, Mario ended up at the same level as Boldin, which is not right. Mario should have been on the underneath level. The lack of execution on this play was all on him.

That was like this past w/e's INT to VD. Nobody bought Boldin's clear-out route for a second...they must have scouted this one; inside the RZ get ready for a sprint right toss to...oh wait...we're still doing that!

This play would be prefect if they redesigned it to have the WR stop on a Curl and then begin to shuffle to the sidelines which will clear up VD or clear up the backside WR even more as attention will be on the WR running the curl and shift to the right. In case both VD and Boldin are covered, then you rifle one to Mario's ankles or knees hoping he will drop and catch it at the goalline.
If the play were designed against zone coverage then yes, but this play is designed against man-coverage. The reason Manningham runs his route so deep is because they're anticipating man coverage and he's supposed to run a "rub" route to pick off Boldin's man. They run the play action to hold the LB on Vernon. A lot of teams try and blitz near the goal line on us to take away any runs(ala Ravens 4th down in the SB). So we expect man coverage, the run fake(in man coverage) puts a lot of pressure on the LB covering Davis, is the LB does well the next read is to Boldin on a double crossing route "rub" combo with Manningham and the 3rd read being Kap running. I think Kap really does make the correct progression read on this play, it's a good call by Carolina near the goal line. They believed in their guys being able to stop the run without blitzing. I don't think Kap looked towards Boldin because of the depth of the Corner in his zone, throwing back across your body against zone coverage can be a very dangerous throw. After the play fake he turned around and saw zone coverage with the DE having a free release at him, he tried to take what was there. I think, given the circumstances and design of the play he made the right choice. I would rather take an incompletion there with than have kap try and play so loose and fast with the ball, 9/10 times throwing back across your body against zone coverage is gonna get you picked off.