There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Film analysis Carolina Panthers

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Boldin and Manningham were both open, that was a bad play by Kaepernick by locking in on VD.

I remember that last play. I felt Mario should have slanted shorter right into the group of 3 defenders or stopped right in front of them for a short curl. This play appeared to be a one read designed timing play to VD on the motion out similar to what we used to run for Jerry. Take a look at Mario on the gif. He obviously runs around the group of defenders as his initial vector was right into the group. If he seals that or even cuts in front of them, they don't catch VD and it is VD one on one with the CB which I will take anyday.

If you notice, Mario ended up at the same level as Boldin, which is not right. Mario should have been on the underneath level. The lack of execution on this play was all on him.


That was like this past w/e's INT to VD. Nobody bought Boldin's clear-out route for a second...they must have scouted this one; inside the RZ get ready for a sprint right toss to...oh wait...we're still doing that!

This play would be prefect if they redesigned it to have the WR stop on a Curl and then begin to shuffle to the sidelines which will clear up VD or clear up the backside WR even more as attention will be on the WR running the curl and shift to the right. In case both VD and Boldin are covered, then you rifle one to Mario's ankles or knees hoping he will drop and catch it at the goalline.

Agreed. If Ham runs a pick on the safety that ended up giving VD the concussion, the throw to VD has a chance to score.
Originally posted by thl408:
Gore had 12 carries for 60 yards in the first half (5.0 ypc) which was solid. I'm not a mathologist, but that leaves 4 carries for 22 yards in the second half. Something like that. What stands out is, like you said, Gore didn't get the touches in the second half. A few possible reasons for this though. With VD out, was CAR crowding the line that much more? There were several negative plays on 1st down in the second half for the 49er offense including sacks and penalties, which can kill the chance for running on 1st/2nd down.

Good question!
Originally posted by thl408:
Agreed. If Ham runs a pick on the safety that ended up giving VD the concussion, the throw to VD has a chance to score.

Excellent point...And if CK throws the ball a tad bit more out in front of VD towards the corner, that helps as well. VD doesn't have to jump or slow down or break stride.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I think the 49ers should bunch formation 3 wrs and VD and spread out this tough Panther defense. Its next to impossible to run on these guys. I think quick hitters and hook & curls could be there all day though.

You're overrating them...they are not impossible to run on. Gore ran off some big runs of them last time we played.

16 for 82, we simply just went away from it

yeah that was one of the criticisms of Roman was that he didn't feed Gore in the second half.

Gore had 12 carries for 60 yards in the first half (5.0 ypc) which was solid. I'm not a mathologist, but that leaves 4 carries for 22 yards in the second half. Something like that. What stands out is, like you said, Gore didn't get the touches in the second half. A few possible reasons for this though. With VD out, was CAR crowding the line that much more? There were several negative plays on 1st down in the second half for the 49er offense including sacks and penalties, which can kill the chance for running on 1st/2nd down.

Or the 49ers prepared to pass more during the week and changing from that by running more would have limited the looks they can give CAR to the point the run formations would eventually be obvious. Of course, they can dial up plays worked on from previous weeks, but the execution may not be as crisp since it wasn't recently practiced.

It could also be that VD is so involved in the running plays in terms of blocking that putting that burden on a 3rd stringer/rookie would not result in solid execution.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I think the 49ers should bunch formation 3 wrs and VD and spread out this tough Panther defense. Its next to impossible to run on these guys. I think quick hitters and hook & curls could be there all day though.

You're overrating them...they are not impossible to run on. Gore ran off some big runs of them last time we played.

16 for 82, we simply just went away from it

yeah that was one of the criticisms of Roman was that he didn't feed Gore in the second half.

Gore had 12 carries for 60 yards in the first half (5.0 ypc) which was solid. I'm not a mathologist, but that leaves 4 carries for 22 yards in the second half. Something like that. What stands out is, like you said, Gore didn't get the touches in the second half. A few possible reasons for this though. With VD out, was CAR crowding the line that much more? There were several negative plays on 1st down in the second half for the 49er offense including sacks and penalties, which can kill the chance for running on 1st/2nd down.

Or the 49ers prepared to pass more during the week and changing from that by running more would have limited the looks they can give CAR to the point the run formations would eventually be obvious. Of course, they can dial up plays worked on from previous weeks, but the execution may not be as crisp since it wasn't recently practiced.

It could also be that VD is so involved in the running plays in terms of blocking that putting that burden on a 3rd stringer/rookie would not result in solid execution.

Oh yeah, forgot. VD and Celek were both out so 2 TE sets were a no go for the entire second half, and we know the 49ers love to run out of 2 TE sets. VD is one of the best run blocking TEs in the league, definitely a factor.
Also...on the play, wtf is Anthony Davis doing? Blocking thin air?
[ Edited by kray28 on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by kray28:
Also...on the play, wtf is Anthony Davis doing? Blocking thin air?

We do that...a lot. I don't know if it's individual skill set or confusion d/t the D or play designs but I do see this more often than not.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by kray28:
Also...on the play, wtf is Anthony Davis doing? Blocking thin air?

We do that...a lot. I don't know if it's individual skill set or confusion d/t the D or play designs but I do see this more often than not.

My guess is that the entire Oline is selling the play fake (run left). Due to the alignment of the Dline, it just happens that ADavis had no one to block. He could have blocked the OLB to his right, but that would deviate from what the rest of the Oline is doing (selling the run).
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by kray28:
Also...on the play, wtf is Anthony Davis doing? Blocking thin air?

We do that...a lot. I don't know if it's individual skill set or confusion d/t the D or play designs but I do see this more often than not.

My guess is that the entire Oline is selling the play fake (run left). Due to the alignment of the Dline, it just happens that ADavis had no one to block. He could have blocked the OLB to his right, but that would deviate from what the rest of the Oline is doing (selling the run).

No question on this play in particular.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,461
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Gore had 12 carries for 60 yards in the first half (5.0 ypc) which was solid. I'm not a mathologist, but that leaves 4 carries for 22 yards in the second half. Something like that. What stands out is, like you said, Gore didn't get the touches in the second half. A few possible reasons for this though. With VD out, was CAR crowding the line that much more? There were several negative plays on 1st down in the second half for the 49er offense including sacks and penalties, which can kill the chance for running on 1st/2nd down.

Good question!
i think we all know why gore did not get more carries that was the game of the infamous fourth and one at the one and of course roman went into a fetal position and told the team they were not good enough to get a yard,, kind of like sunday with first and goal from the five,,,, kind of like the super bowl and second and goal from the five. can you people not see a pattern? by the way remember the colts game where we had one good drive, that one good drive was running the ball but of course we ran away from it. lol at people who think roman will "get it: this sunday
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Gore had 12 carries for 60 yards in the first half (5.0 ypc) which was solid. I'm not a mathologist, but that leaves 4 carries for 22 yards in the second half. Something like that. What stands out is, like you said, Gore didn't get the touches in the second half. A few possible reasons for this though. With VD out, was CAR crowding the line that much more? There were several negative plays on 1st down in the second half for the 49er offense including sacks and penalties, which can kill the chance for running on 1st/2nd down.

Good question!
i think we all know why gore did not get more carries that was the game of the infamous fourth and one at the one and of course roman went into a fetal position and told the team they were not good enough to get a yard,, kind of like sunday with first and goal from the five,,,, kind of like the super bowl and second and goal from the five. can you people not see a pattern? by the way remember the colts game where we had one good drive, that one good drive was running the ball but of course we ran away from it. lol at people who think roman will "get it: this sunday

Do you think Roman made that call to kick a FG, or was it Jim, the head coach? I get that you hate Roman, but come on, cc.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by bonafidejonb:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
On the almost INT... I think the pass was thrown accurately , but late getting there. The timing was off. Kaep should've thrown it earlier. You see Boldin turned his head at the 45yds line but the ball didn't get to him until he was at the 35yds line. It gave the defender time to recover and make a play on it. We just have to roll with it until Kaep can recognized it a tick tock earlier.

Also, look at Kaep's drop back. He paused at the end of the drop, then took another step back, like he's resetting his foot. That takes away the timing. The pass should've been thrown to between the 45-40 yard line.

Kaep doesn't throw them open...he waits until they're open and trusts that his "strong arm" will make up for it...that is his biggest weakness...if he could just trust the receivers to be where they're supposed to be and throw before they make that break, this offense would be wide open!!

Sadly, this is very true much of the time. I have a long list of things CK must improve upon. Perhaps next year he can lift less weights and work on QB mechanics with Harbaugh?

Originally posted by NCommand:
Sadly, this is very true much of the time. I have a long list of things CK must improve upon. Perhaps next year he can lift less weights and work on QB mechanics with Harbaugh?

Kap will always have trouble throwing receivers open with that long, charge-up release of his.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Kap will always have trouble throwing receivers open with that long, charge-up release of his.


He has one of the fastest recorded releases in the NFL.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Kap will always have trouble throwing receivers open with that long, charge-up release of his.


He has one of the fastest recorded releases in the NFL.

Those bombs he threw to VD in the Tampa game proved that.
Originally posted by kray28:
Also...on the play, wtf is Anthony Davis doing? Blocking thin air?

He played like sh!t in that game. Has to do a better job vs the all-pro Charles Johnson. Staley handled Greg Hardy but I worry about that matchup this time around on the road