There are 168 users in the forums

Film analysis Carolina Panthers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
^^^ true...off coverage and we were respecting Ginn's speed big time!
  • thl408
I just finished doing the passing play thumbnails and will post that once jonnydel creates the GB film thread. I'll add to this thread here and there throughout the week.
Originally posted by thl408:
I just finished doing the passing play thumbnails and will post that once jonnydel creates the GB film thread. I'll add to this thread here and there throughout the week.

Awesome and thanks for your time/effort. Truly.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Head coach Rivera breaking down some plays of his own team. Would Jim do this? Yeah, right. (posted 4 days ago)

video

I wonder if Jim & his staff would watch videos of an opposing coach doing this just for another perspective on gameplanning. Obviously they break down all the relevant video of the upcoming opponent with a finetooth comb. Knowing him he's probably gathered, for example, all available game video of the Panthers (including the other coach doing a film session bit for public consumption) in the attempt for every tiny competitive edge possible. But yeah, JH would never do what Rivera's doing here LOL.

What blew me away was harbaugh saying they were already game planning for Carolina before playing GB

Most likely, they have their scouts begin research on all possible opponents. That and they also game planned for them for Week 10.

As for whether or not JH has found this CAR film breakdown, I am sure he has since they have a team that gathers all media clippings for that 0/01% advantage.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah but we were letting them play catch. It was dumb.
Originally posted by Joecool:

It's how Fangio runs his coverage schemes...not saying I agree with it (at all). Personally, I'd like to see them mix it up much more (off, disguise coverages, physical press, CB/S blitz, etc.) esp. on 3rd downs.

Or just do what Seattle/GB does and play physical, press up at the LOS and hold throughout the entirety of the play. At worst case scenario, this is the most you'll hear, "Prior to the pass, holding by the DB...5 yard penalty, automatic 1st down." Big deal!
It's how Fangio runs his coverage schemes...not saying I agree with it (at all). Personally, I'd like to see them mix it up much more (off, disguise coverages, physical press, CB/S blitz, etc.) esp. on 3rd downs.

Or just do what Seattle/GB does and play physical, press up at the LOS and hold throughout the entirety of the play. At worst case scenario, this is the most you'll hear, "Prior to the pass, holding by the DB...5 yard penalty, automatic 1st down." Big deal!

yea mix it up
i did a triple take when we did the corner blitz. that almost never happens.

With Steve Smith not 100%, I think we should do some complicated blitzes starting in the 3rd quarter and throw a wrench into CAR's halftime adjustments and try to fluster CAM. Or do it from the start but the only problem with that is on offense eventually adjusts which is why we should do it coming out of the half.

With Steve Smith not 100%, I think we should do some complicated blitzes starting in the 3rd quarter and throw a wrench into CAR's halftime adjustments and try to fluster CAM. Or do it from the start but the only problem with that is on offense eventually adjusts which is why we should do it coming out of the half.

Cam goes to Smith the second he's in trouble...I like your tactic...pressure his ass and make Ginn/Smith beat you in physical press. Why let a guy like Ginn with 4.3 speed come off the line free and clean and blow by your secondary?
  • thl408
When playing a good defense like the one CAR has, a few missed opportunities can result in a loss. When I think back at the week 10 game, I immediately think of the Vance dropped pass on a long bomb right down the middle. But there were other chances to extend drives, get a big gain, or score a TD, other than the Vance drop that would have set the 49ers up for a go ahead FG in the 4th quarter. Here are some missed opportunities in the 1st half of the week 10 game. One missed opportunity to extend a drive was shown in post #2 (play #3 of that post). Of course, not all failed 3rd down conversions are missed opportunities, but when the playcall is soild for that down, but the execution falls just a bit short, I consider it a missed opportunity.

Below: Game situation in the top right corner. CAR went predominantly zone coverage in this game and this play is no different. Vance is at the top of the screen, Boldin is the orange route, VD is at the bottom of the screen running a hitch and go. The CB lined up over Vance is the one that will end up making a play on the ball. CAR brings 5 rushers

Below: Kap's pump fake (not shown) towards VD will pull the lone deep safety over to VD's side of the field, exposing a nice throwing lane to Boldin on the skinny post. The deep safety (blue square), who was running to VD, is shown here stopping in his tracks to change directions and run towards Boldin. Kap is in the middle of his release. The orange X is where the pass will be thrown to. The yellow X is where the pass should have been placed.

Below: Because the pass is not well placed, the CB is able to cut under the route, but drops an INT.

The play:

#2:
Below: Game situation seen in the pic. Kap will miss a chance to convert here and the drive will stall after not converting on 3rd down.

Below: Kap has completed his dropback and looks to his left. Ham is open on a comeback route because the CB is playing loose over the top. Throw to the yellow X and pick up a first down. However, he did not like what he saw and does not pull the trigger.

The play: Kap will eventually throw it to Ham, but he does it while running which makes for an inaccurate throw and an incompletion. They fail to convert the 3rd down so it's Dawson time, 6-0.

This play was discussed in detail after the game. This is the play VD got concussed and it changed the entire dynamic of the 49er offense.

Below: The blue arrows on the CAR LBs show the flow of the defenders. Boldin is available in the endzone as Kap begins his windup. Kap does not give Boldin a look.

The play: VD gets his bell rung and the 49ers won't convert on the subsequent 3rd and goal. In comes Dawson, 9-0. 49ers won't score another point in the game.

Kap has more experience and more weapons this Sunday and I will be shocked if the offense only puts up 9 points. I respect the hell out of the CAR front 7, but I also have a lot of faith in the 49er offense as it stands today. I'll scan the second half for any missed opportunities besides the Vance drop.

Head coach Rivera breaking down some plays of his own team. Would Jim do this? Yeah, right. (posted 4 days ago)

video

Belichick does one too on the Patriot's website.
i'm hard
Originally posted by defenderDX:
They also torched us with deep comebacks in the 4th quarter.

Incidentally the sort of plays the 49ers should be utilizing against that defense. 49ers don't have many deep threats but with as physical as they are, teams with lesser secondaries tend to give Boldin and Crabtree cushion so they don't get knocked out of the play.
When playing a good defense like the one CAR has, a few missed opportunities can result in a loss. When I think back at the week 10 game, I immediately think of the Vance dropped pass on a long bomb right down the middle. But there were other chances to extend drives, get a big gain, or score a TD, other than the Vance drop that would have set the 49ers up for a go ahead FG in the 4th quarter. Here are some missed opportunities in the 1st half of the week 10 game. One missed opportunity to extend a drive was shown in post #2 (play #3 of that post). Of course, not all failed 3rd down conversions are missed opportunities, but when the playcall is soild for that down, but the execution falls just a bit short, I consider it a missed opportunity.

Below: Game situation in the top right corner. CAR went predominantly zone coverage in this game and this play is no different. Vance is at the top of the screen, Boldin is the orange route, VD is at the bottom of the screen running a hitch and go. The CB lined up over Vance is the one that will end up making a play on the ball. CAR brings 5 rushers

Below: Kap's pump fake (not shown) towards VD will pull the lone deep safety over to VD's side of the field, exposing a nice throwing lane to Boldin on the skinny post. The deep safety (blue square), who was running to VD, is shown here stopping in his tracks to change directions and run towards Boldin. Kap is in the middle of his release. The orange X is where the pass will be thrown to. The yellow X is where the pass should have been placed.

Below: Because the pass is not well placed, the CB is able to cut under the route, but drops an INT.

The play:

#2:
Below: Game situation seen in the pic. Kap will miss a chance to convert here and the drive will stall after not converting on 3rd down.

Below: Kap has completed his dropback and looks to his left. Ham is open on a comeback route because the CB is playing loose over the top. Throw to the yellow X and pick up a first down. However, he did not like what he saw and does not pull the trigger.

The play: Kap will eventually throw it to Ham, but he does it while running which makes for an inaccurate throw and an incompletion. They fail to convert the 3rd down so it's Dawson time, 6-0.

This play was discussed in detail after the game. This is the play VD got concussed and it changed the entire dynamic of the 49er offense.

Below: The blue arrows on the CAR LBs show the flow of the defenders. Boldin is available in the endzone as Kap begins his windup. Kap does not give Boldin a look.

The play: VD gets his bell rung and the 49ers won't convert on the subsequent 3rd and goal. In comes Dawson, 9-0. 49ers won't score another point in the game.

Kap has more experience and more weapons this Sunday and I will be shocked if the offense only puts up 9 points. I respect the hell out of the CAR front 7, but I also have a lot of faith in the 49er offense as it stands today. I'll scan the second half for any missed opportunities besides the Vance drop.

Boldin and Manningham were both open, that was a bad play by Kaepernick by locking in on VD.
On the almost INT... I think the pass was thrown accurately , but late getting there. The timing was off. Kaep should've thrown it earlier. You see Boldin turned his head at the 45yds line but the ball didn't get to him until he was at the 35yds line. It gave the defender time to recover and make a play on it. We just have to roll with it until Kaep can recognized it a tick tock earlier.

Also, look at Kaep's drop back. He paused at the end of the drop, then took another step back, like he's resetting his foot. That takes away the timing. The pass should've been thrown to between the 45-40 yard line.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone