There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Film analysis Carolina Panthers

Head coach Rivera breaking down some plays of his own team. Would Jim do this? Yeah, right. (posted 4 days ago)

video
Here's the first drive of the game where the offense looked decent. Gore racks up 32 yards on his first four carries of the game. So it's possible to get the ground game going.

#1: 22 personnel (2RBs, 2TEs, 1WR). After a bunch of motioning around, they settle on this alignment.


Below: A bit after the snap, notice all the Oline blocking to their right. It's a misdirection play for 11 yards.

The play: Gore for 11


#2
Read option and the DE the 49ers don't block is Charles Johnson. He's a badass man. Everyone else is manned up to their blocking assignments.

The play: CJ is frozen in his tracks and let's Gore run right by. 17 yard gain.


#3
It's the money down and the 49ers will again use the read option. Again they leave Johnson unblocked.


The play: This time Charles Johnson makes the stop. Not sure why Miller decided to pass on him. Is there a chance Miller was also reading the outside LB and thought Kap was going to keep the ball?
Originally posted by thl408:
Head coach Rivera breaking down some plays of his own team. Would Jim do this? Yeah, right. (posted 4 days ago)

video

I just watched the whole video. I'm speechless
Originally posted by thl408:
Head coach Rivera breaking down some plays of his own team. Would Jim do this? Yeah, right. (posted 4 days ago)

video

He probably does, but not to outsiders
Thanks for doing this thread thl408!! You and jonnydel are a wealth of information
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 6, 2014 at 11:22 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Head coach Rivera breaking down some plays of his own team. Would Jim do this? Yeah, right. (posted 4 days ago)

video

I wonder if Jim & his staff would watch videos of an opposing coach doing this just for another perspective on gameplanning. Obviously they break down all the relevant video of the upcoming opponent with a finetooth comb. Knowing him he's probably gathered, for example, all available game video of the Panthers (including the other coach doing a film session bit for public consumption) in the attempt for every tiny competitive edge possible. But yeah, JH would never do what Rivera's doing here LOL.
great start
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by thl408:
Head coach Rivera breaking down some plays of his own team. Would Jim do this? Yeah, right. (posted 4 days ago)

video

I wonder if Jim & his staff would watch videos of an opposing coach doing this just for another perspective on gameplanning. Obviously they break down all the relevant video of the upcoming opponent with a finetooth comb. Knowing him he's probably gathered, for example, all available game video of the Panthers (including the other coach doing a film session bit for public consumption) in the attempt for every tiny competitive edge possible. But yeah, JH would never do what Rivera's doing here LOL.

What blew me away was harbaugh saying they were already game planning for Carolina before playing GB
On the very next drive (2nd 49er drive of the game). The 49ers set themselves up nicely with a 3rd and 1. Like in the case of ARI, playing to the 49er strength is also playing to CAR's strength - the trenches.

CAR loads up 9 in the box as the 49ers go 22 personnel with Adam Snyder as the second TE. There's 8 49ers to block 9 Panthers. It's not a total loss if the 49ers block correctly at the point of attack. To the attack side, it's 6 on 6.


The red X is Boone. He's gonna have a nice clean jersey after this play.


The 49ers needed just 1 yard and Gore would have had it if Boone blocks out on the rookie AJ Klein #56.
I'm not going to post all stuff from week 10, but it is interesting that all of the 49ers opponents in the NFC playoffs will be opponents they've already played this year. So there's already some film in terms of head to head matchups. I'll try to post any tendencies that are noticed by the Panthers from other games as well.

I can say for certain that CAR played majority zone coverage throughout this week 10 game. We know there was no Crabs, VD for just about a half, and also lost Vance halfway. The 49ers offensive line had trouble with blitz pickup and also the basic 4 man rush. Defensively, the 49ers made Cam hold onto the ball with good coverage. Having Aldon back for the whole game is really going to force Cam to speed up his decision making.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 7, 2014 at 12:20 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by thl408:
Head coach Rivera breaking down some plays of his own team. Would Jim do this? Yeah, right. (posted 4 days ago)

video

I wonder if Jim & his staff would watch videos of an opposing coach doing this just for another perspective on gameplanning. Obviously they break down all the relevant video of the upcoming opponent with a finetooth comb. Knowing him he's probably gathered, for example, all available game video of the Panthers (including the other coach doing a film session bit for public consumption) in the attempt for every tiny competitive edge possible. But yeah, JH would never do what Rivera's doing here LOL.

What blew me away was harbaugh saying they were already game planning for Carolina before playing GB

Just in case they advanced from the Packer game. I bet they were doing some pre-playoff game planning on Seadderal as well. They might as well do a little advance film study on both possible division round opponents.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Just in case they advanced from the Packer game. I bet they were doing some pre-playoff game planning on Seadderal as well. They might as well do a little advance film study on both possible division round opponents.

"Already started" could have simply meant that, after the Saints won on Saturday, they had their film boys start prepping their scout reel on Carolina.
Originally posted by thl408:
Here's the first drive of the game where the offense looked decent. Gore racks up 32 yards on his first four carries of the game. So it's possible to get the ground game going.

#1: 22 personnel (2RBs, 2TEs, 1WR). After a bunch of motioning around, they settle on this alignment.


Below: A bit after the snap, notice all the Oline blocking to their right. It's a misdirection play for 11 yards.

The play: Gore for 11


#2
Read option and the DE the 49ers don't block is Charles Johnson. He's a badass man. Everyone else is manned up to their blocking assignments.

The play: CJ is frozen in his tracks and let's Gore run right by. 17 yard gain.


#3
It's the money down and the 49ers will again use the read option. Again they leave Johnson unblocked.


The play: This time Charles Johnson makes the stop. Not sure why Miller decided to pass on him. Is there a chance Miller was also reading the outside LB and thought Kap was going to keep the ball?

Thanks for startng this thl408. I was watching NFL Network/ESPN/PFT, etc. (shocker) last night and they had a nice breakdown of this game and one thing really stood out to me. The Panthers did an excellent job of not only assigning a "spy" on CK but running many stunts and blitzes inside while swinging their edge rushes out wider to contain CK. BUT, the downside is that it spreads the DL out and there are some big holes inside if we can hit them quickly. I like the I-back formation here and I would love to see Hunter sprint up through these holes; he also has the speed and vision to hit them inside-outside if needed. Start out with Gore but one thing I've noticed is that Gore is getting tackled from behind a lot lately (age, ankles, fatigue, etc.). He's not hitting the holes with the same early-season burst. Granted, much of that is b/c of the bunched up jumbo packages and having to be extra patient BUT, I think this may be a game where we can really exploit big holes between the tackles. As a result, if we get this going, this may be a game where we can run a reverse and fly sweep with Patton as well and really catch them off guard. Then, once they are pinching in a bit with their containment, we can run that option with CK for a big hitter as well outside. Carolina's D is very disciplined and stout but we can exploit it, IMHO. While it's a small sample size, it sure does look like their OLB/DE's are crashing down on the read option every time...looks like CK would be able to exploit them on the edge if he keeps it. Also, a jumbo formation (tip to the D it's an obvious run up the gut) would be an optimal time to run a fake inside, toss pitch wide/CK keeper.

PS: Let us know if you see anything in the passing game we could exploit!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 7, 2014 at 7:47 AM ]
Bump ^ Come on fans...where's our analysts at?
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm not going to post all stuff from week 10, but it is interesting that all of the 49ers opponents in the NFC playoffs will be opponents they've already played this year. So there's already some film in terms of head to head matchups. I'll try to post any tendencies that are noticed by the Panthers from other games as well.

I can say for certain that CAR played majority zone coverage throughout this week 10 game. We know there was no Crabs, VD for just about a half, and also lost Vance halfway. The 49ers offensive line had trouble with blitz pickup and also the basic 4 man rush. Defensively, the 49ers made Cam hold onto the ball with good coverage. Having Aldon back for the whole game is really going to force Cam to speed up his decision making.

They also torched us with deep comebacks in the 4th quarter.