There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our in-house priority list

Originally posted by 9erred:
Good organizations re up contracts one year before player hit FA. That being said, the thread should be which players do you re up in 2014, AND which players are you willing to test FA and which player are you willing to franchise. Also which player are you willing to let go??

CK7 signed through 2014-
offer him 5 years 80 million, if he balks, let him play in 2014 for his contract, then franchise him in 2015 and 2016. This would be 3 years 30 million.

Crabtree- Offer to pay him as a top 3 WR, He is signed through 2014 because I do not believe he hit his outs.

Aldon Smith- Keep him on his rookie contract as his legal troubles need to play out.

Iupati- Let him play out his contract in 2014, in 2015 franchise him for a 1st round pick, if someone makes an offer, let him sign and take the first.

Boldin- Must sign him to 2 year 12 million dollar contract.

Frank Gore- falls into bucket of let him play out his contract for one more season, or gulp, let him go due to depth and his cap number. He will be like losing Montana, you know it is the right call, but it seems wrong.

This.
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Good organizations re up contracts one year before player hit FA. That being said, the thread should be which players do you re up in 2014, AND which players are you willing to test FA and which player are you willing to franchise. Also which player are you willing to let go??

CK7 signed through 2014-
offer him 5 years 80 million, if he balks, let him play in 2014 for his contract, then franchise him in 2015 and 2016. This would be 3 years 30 million.

Crabtree- Offer to pay him as a top 3 WR, He is signed through 2014 because I do not believe he hit his outs.

Aldon Smith- Keep him on his rookie contract as his legal troubles need to play out.

Iupati- Let him play out his contract in 2014, in 2015 franchise him for a 1st round pick, if someone makes an offer, let him sign and take the first.

Frank Gore- falls into bucket of let him play out his contract for one more season, or gulp, let him go due to depth and his cap number. He will be like losing Montana, you know it is the right call, but it seems wrong.

This.

yeah I liked this but I don't believe the tag figure.
Originally posted by AUniner:
Originally posted by kronik:
LOL, Harbaugh hand picked Kaep. Kaep has done more than ANY young QB so far in the NFL. If not him, then who?

It's not about keeping Kaep. I think we all want that. It's about keeping him at the right price.

IMO we need the other pieces for him to be successful. We need Crabs there. Possibly Boldin too... imagine this season without that guy here. Aldon can not leave.

We're a team pressed hard up against the cap with cheap guys that are in need of extensions. We need Kaep. We need Aldon. We need Crabs. How can we fit them all in. Those 3 are going to eat 50M cap room straight up.

If you think our coaches are going to throw rookies in there to replace every other FA, and there is a lot of them, I think you're mistaken. They don't operate like that. Eric Reid and Bruce Miller are the only rookies that have come in and started day 1 in this 3 year regime.

QB for the next 10 years trumps any other position. That's how the NFL is setup. Signing Kaep does not mean cutting everyone else. Please stop exaggerating. How does Denver sign Manning with Welker and all those other weapons?

Eventually (maybe as soon as next year), we will save cap room from letting Gore, C Rogers, Whitner, McDonald, Smith go. We will find cheaper replacements, no problem. There will be plenty of cap room for Aldon and Crabs in the future.
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM ]
LOL, Harbaugh hand picked Kaep. Kaep has done more than ANY young QB so far in the NFL. If not him, then who?

It's not about keeping Kaep. I think we all want that. It's about keeping him at the right price.

IMO we need the other pieces for him to be successful. We need Crabs there. Possibly Boldin too... imagine this season without that guy here. Aldon can not leave.

We're a team pressed hard up against the cap with cheap guys that are in need of extensions. We need Kaep. We need Aldon. We need Crabs. How can we fit them all in. Those 3 are going to eat 50M cap room straight up.

If you think our coaches are going to throw rookies in there to replace every other FA, and there is a lot of them, I think you're mistaken. They don't operate like that. Eric Reid and Bruce Miller are the only rookies that have come in and started day 1 in this 3 year regime.

QB for the next 10 years trumps any other position. That's how the NFL is setup. Signing Kaep does not mean cutting everyone else. Please stop exaggerating. How does Denver sign Manning with Welker and all those other weapons?

Eventually (maybe as soon as next year), we will save cap room from letting Gore, C Rogers, Whitner, McDonald, Smith go. We will find cheaper replacements, no problem. There will be plenty of cap room for Aldon and Crabs in the future.

McDonald and smith!? Not happening, didnt we extend smith to a team friendly extension? McDonald still makes plays so you keep him, you just continue to rotate them with tank playing next year and others.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
McDonald and smith!? Not happening, didnt we extend smith to a team friendly extension? McDonald still makes plays so you keep him, you just continue to rotate them with tank playing next year and others.

If we win it all I wouldn't be surprise to see Smith retire. He'll be keeping that pretty close to the chest though.

McDonald is a on a pretty good team deal already I think. He signed before they made him the starter. They'll be looking for him to be the vet presence on the line when Smith is gone.
The Super Bowl win

New Stadium

And hosting of 50 will make this all moot

Between Paraag and his sidekick Goodell, it will all happen.

The league will greatly loosen the Salary Cap

Cap dollars will flow like Google dollars. Or wine.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

I said eventually. Doesn't mean next year. As for Smith, it's all on his terms. I think he's only playing for the ring right now and nothing more. I think he plans to retire and join the WWE. He owes Ric Flair a favor
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM ]
Iupati > Cully
[ Edited by 21SandersMoss84 on Jan 7, 2014 at 10:56 PM ]
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Iupati > Cully

We need Culliver. Without him, plus Brown and Rogers leaving? Were down to Brock and Daryl Morris.

CK7 signed through 2014-

2 franchise tags, interesting.

Originally posted by Nuns:

I'd RFA Crabs. See if someone is willing to dump a first rounder AND pay Crabs the money he wants. That way the niners can have the option to pick up the contract or take a draft pick, let someone else negotiate. Is restricted free agency still a thing? Been a while since I've seen it in action.

I do not believe it is like it used to be. I believe the team only has control for 4 years and the player is free after that(or franchise tag), unless they were a 1st then the team has an option for the 5th year that has to be taken between year 3-4. But don't quote me on that. Also teams can not sign them to a second contract until after year 3.

CK7 signed through 2014-

Those are short term solutions, that are great for next season, but this is going to cause more problems in the long run.

Offering Kap less then Flacco, Romo, Cutler, Stafford and others? Come on. And then franchising him? That is like two slaps in the face. Why fiddle fart around with your franchise quarterback? A Colin Kaepernick doesn't just come along every year, even if they do, there is no guarantee we can draft them.

If we pay all those other guys, and then keep Aldon on his rookie deal, we will have no room for him next year. Bye bye historic record breaking pass rusher. I mean, who needs those types of players? Maybe the Seahawks could pick him up, just like we gave Dallas Haley many years ago. Carroll would LOVE to stick it to Harbaugh like this.
This would be catastrophic.

I agree that we should keep Crabree, but that leaves little room for Boldin.

No one is going to lose a first round pick for a guard, and we're already out of money at this point. And how many players are we franchising here?

I say we just bite the bullet. Stop fantasizing about home town discounts. We sign Kap, Aldon, Crabs. Everybody else plays out their contracts, and then bye bye, we can't afford you anymore, make room for some rooks. This is what top franchises do, they bite the bullet, and show early commitment to the players they want.
Right now, the 49ers roster is stacked head to toe with top talent.

Paying a few players (on Rookie contracts/underpaid vets) creates a MASSIVE domino effect though. Now, I know the 49ers are GREAT when it comes to their draft recently, and will be expected to replace when required BUT:-

Expect a drop off. There will be cap casualties, you can count on it. No team can sustain such a nucleus of gems for a prolonged period of time because the NFL is first and foremost, a business.

The romantic notion that all the players pending FA will put the team first is sadly misconstrued - as there will be teams who need some of the Niners' current players more than the Niners do:-

For example, if Aldon Smith were to hit the open market (highly unlikely) - I can see a bottom barrel franchise giving him Rodgers' money.
Originally posted by RabidNiner:

CK7 signed through 2014-

This.

That.
Kap
Crabtree
Boldin
Aldon Smith

Dawson

Iupati

CK7 signed through 2014-

You had me until letting Gore play out his contract which expires after next season and letting him go. Although I am confident one of the backs we have on our roster will emerge as the #1 guy, I think Baalke will at least wait until that guy makes himself known. It will also be on the coaching staff to give the other guys enough opportunities to prove they can indeed carry the load. It should've started this season, but for whatever reason it didn't. It may sound crazy, but I'd like to see Gore signed through 2016, but in a reduced role if he'll take it (also a lower cap number, 3 million a year tops). In 2014 let the load be shared a little more with Gore getting about half the carries (get him down to 15 a game). An extension could also lower his cap number and keep us in a position where we have several starting caliber running backs going into 2015 (assuming he is still productive). Of course, we could always luck out and we win back-to-back Super Bowls and Frank Gore and Cowboy retire after our victory at Levi Stadium, but I'm probably asking for too much .