LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 130 users in the forums

49ers give Brown a $300,000 bonus gift

Shop Find 49ers gear online
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/420338612539244544

Apparently the 49ers gave Tarell Brown a $300,000 bonus as a gesture to help from the $2M loss.

I noticed yesterday on the NFLPA Cap report that there cap room went down by $303,000 or so, so this makes sense.
Class act.

Trent didn't have to do that to a guy who'll probably leave in FA.
should have given that money to Crabtree as a goodwill gesture for his next contract
I hope other free agents are taking notice. Every franchise won't take care of you in that way.
Nice. I like it. Obviously not the full 2M but that was never going to happen. Assuming he still sues his agent and gets even more money back.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I hope other free agents are taking notice. Every franchise won't take care of you in that way.

This. That is why I'm pleased to see the 49ers take care of Brown. The 49ers weren't obliged to do anything. Many people were saying tough luck, Brown should deal with it. I'm sure potential free agents are aware of this and will look very favorably on the 49ers, if they haven't already. Very classy move.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Nice. I like it. Obviously not the full 2M but that was never going to happen. Assuming he still sues his agent and gets even more money back.

He should at least recoup his fee. His agent f**ked him.
Hopefully they can work out a deal with Brown and have him come back next year. It would be nice to have Brown, Culliver, Brock, Wright, Cox, and Morris. That would mean that Rogers was cut and his salary divied up to hold Brown. Then we need another two rookie CBs to develop in the draft and see how it all shakes out. We would have a solid backfield with Reid and possibly Whitner.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by SportsFan:

He should at least recoup his fee. His agent f**ked him.

That is what I am thinking. He will sue for the 10% (I believe it is that high) that he took out of the last contract he signed. Wasn't it like a 4 year 12 million or something. So 1.2, plus the 300k we gave him that gets him to 1.5. Not bad.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This. That is why I'm pleased to see the 49ers take care of Brown. The 49ers weren't obliged to do anything. Many people were saying tough luck, Brown should deal with it. I'm sure potential free agents are aware of this and will look very favorably on the 49ers, if they haven't already. Very classy move.

Very classy move by a classy organization!

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/420338612539244544

Apparently the 49ers gave Tarell Brown a $300,000 bonus as a gesture to help from the $2M loss.

I noticed yesterday on the NFLPA Cap report that there cap room went down by $303,000 or so, so this makes sense.

Yes yes. Very very nice and bless the 49ers gave brown the money's bonus. Awesome.. Brown is doin a great defense and tough a defense for incomplete pass and no selfish. Thank you a 49ers.. Bless you!..
Nice gesture but I don't think it will sway his decision to take a huge discount and stay with us. Would be great to have Brown Brock and Culliver but not likely to happen. I have said this before but I wouldn't blame him for going out and getting paid. He started for like 6 years at like 1-2 million a season and has played well most of them so he's been underpaid like 3-4 million a season. And thanks AB, great catch on that.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Cheap b*****ds should have at least paid him 1 million.
Originally posted by susweel:
Cheap b*****ds should have at least paid him 2 million.

FYP

Not like they didn't budget for it anyway.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by susweel:
Cheap b*****ds should have at least paid him 2 million.

FYP

Not like they didn't budget for it anyway.

For reals doe if the dude reported to camp in shape they should have paid him his money. He's a quality cb who was already being underpaid.
Share 49ersWebzone