There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Wild Card Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

I bet you whitner is pretty happy he won't have to face Lacy again for quite some time. Whitner usually is the one serving the nasty hits but I saw twice yesterday where Donte was coming in with a head of steam and Lacy trucked him pretty well.
Nice analysis, Marvin, as usual. That's 23-20 two weeks in a row, with exactly the same ending - march down the field and have Dawson kick a FG as time expires. I would be happy with the same outcome in Carolina.

Kap did everything you said he did, he was outstanding in the clutch. I can forgive him the TO's. I can even forgive him for forgetting his armband. I thought he almost threw 2 more picks, one in the end zone and one in the flat near the end. Sometimes he gets that "deer in the headlights" look, but what the hell, you just can't criticize his results.

I think on the stats sheet Eric Reed had one less tackle than Navarro and one more than Patrick. They were the top 3. Eric has learned, or decided, to tackle without concussing his head, which is good.

The cold was way over-rated as a factor. Buck and Aikman announced it every time it fell by one degree. What do you expect at that time of day? It was the same for both teams, and uncomfortable I'm sure, but if it gave any team an advantage it was us. They seemed to lose a player every few minutes.

Which brings me to my last point. With their already terrible D weakened by further injuries, our O-line did not take advantage. No holes. Frank averaged 3-4 yds/carry. Our O-line is way over-rated!
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Thanks Marvin good post as always. I thought both sides of the ball played well. Questionable play calling at times but then in light of this game, the conditions, and the fact that Rodgers will keep them in any game, they won and as Cowboy would say, stats are for losers.

I can see winning at Carolina but it will be a tough game. But that is how you get to the top by beating the best.

Agree. Great job as usual Marvin49
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Our play clock management is the worst in the league. Time outs are valuable to have and we waste them game after game. get the play call in, get lined up early in the clock giving you time to change the play etc. sounds simple but apparently its not.

When has it cost us a game? You don't get to save em for the next game.

Super Bowl.

I honestly think we would have gotten that play off on time. But we didn't lose due to needing timeouts.
I honestly think we would have gotten that play off on time. But we didn't lose due to needing timeouts.

yeah but if we had at least 1 extra timeout we would've gotten the ball back around midfield or better with about 40 seconds left needing a TD. still not great odds but it wasn't out of the realm of possibility
1) Kap: Packer Slayer. Dunno whats up with that team, but they just can't figure him out. Refs were keeping those flags in their pockets so I think the stats would be different had they not, but it went both ways. There is a reason Rodgers only put up 177 and one of his biggest completions was on a play in which Ray McDonald was forcibly removed by the neck from the QB.

All in all, I'd say he had a good day...althoough that near pick at the end makes me nervous. Not sure why he even let the ball go. Looked like he was looking that way all the way and waiting for Anquan to turn.

Still...considering the conditions and the way the refs were calling the game, it was a pretty good outing. Those clutch runs at the end and the third down pass to Crab were particularly impressive.

2) Crabtree: Resign him. As soon as possible. He has moved way up to the top of pending free agents that need to be resigned. The difference in Kap with and without Crab is astounding.The trust Kap has in him and his ability to find open spots is exactly the kind of chemistry you home for when you draft a QB and a WR. They do stuff off-script for huge plays simply because they are on the same page. I thought he was a guy who would play one contract in SF. He needs to be a long term player here. Replacing him would be far harder than simply resigning him.

3) Conditions: Damn...that looked cold. LOL. Not as cold as advertised, but the Niners have to get some credit for traveling cross country and beating the Rodgers led Packers in Lambeau. Yeah, they were 8-71 and they had injuries all over the place, but Outside of the games he played against the Niners Rodgers was 6-1 and undeafeted at home. Yeah, the game probably shouldn't have been that close, but a win is a win. If they advance that far, that game may have been a pretty good practice for the Super Bowl. Cold weather game vs an all-world QB with a questionable defense. Denver? New England? Getting there is a tall order, but if they do this may have served as a good "warm up".

4) Aldon/Brooks: So nice to see those guys dominate a playoff game. 3.5 sacks between the two of them. Got pressure all day. They were a big reason Rodgers couldn't even eclipse 200 yards despite haveing all his WRs back and a true running threat.

5) Cox: I gotta give the guy credit. Yeah, he missed the sack. Yeah, he didn't play a perfect game...but he held up against possibly the best QB in the game. Not bad for a guy that was unemployed a week ago. It does concern me though that they had no confidense in Wright.

6) Reid: It didn't get much pub, but IMO Eric Reid had himself a pretty damn good game. Made so pretty good hits in run defense and made some tackles that limited the damage in a few cases. The run by Lacy might have scored if he doesn't make a sure tackle. The long reception to Cobb was also a tackle by Reid. Cobb scores without it. Not bad for the rook. He allowed Cobb to make the reception, but you aren't going to cover a guy all day.

7) Gore: Just gets the job done. Grinding out those tough yards. Made really key blocks on several of Kaps runs. Man we are going to miss him when he's gone.

8) Justin Smith: Yup. Still a monster.

9) Roman: The sites favorite whipping boy. I'm sure there are some screaming about his redzone playcalling. I'd say if the refs didn't glue their flags to their pants the redzone calls would have looked much better. He did get away from Gore at times which frustrates me, but all in all I can't be all that upset with his playcalling.

10) Carolina: Rematch. It will be a tough game...no question, but I think it's winable. Crabtree back. Vernon Back. Celek back (remember, Niners lost 2 of their 3 TEs in this game). Kap has more experience, better weapons, and is on a hot streak. He won't be running like he did in GB, but I think they'll be able to muster up enough points to win. Should be fun.

Haven't been able to re-watch the game, just about an hour of highlights but here we go:

1) Kap does seem to have green Bay's number and he played great. I forgive him the pick and near pick simply because in those weather conditions throwing the ball is different and I think in the case of the pick, Boldin ran a lazier route than he should have and the near pick was Kap trying a very difficult throw in very cold conditions and coming under that fine line of success and failure. I am going to go a little further though and say I think he's a big game baller, I really hope it continues next week against Carolina, but I look at this game, and then the 3 post season games last year where he dominated GB after throwing a pick 6, and then came back against Atlanta and nearly pulled it off in the SB. I think he's mentally tough and finds a way to win, and the GB defense played better this time than on the previous 2 games I think. They were certainly fired up and playing with heart, they did a lot of things right.

2) Crab resigning is a must, I would sacrifice Iupati for him as I think Iupati has been patchy this season and is weak in pass blocking. Scary news for the Panthers is that he's just hitting game fitness now after being out so hopefully more of the same.

3) They played the game well, I think the lack of officiating made more of an impact than the weather.

4) Aldon was double teamed all day and struggling with cramps but still was putting the pressure on. Going to be interesting seeing him going after Cam because Rodgers is more elusive than Cam and Aldon ain't going to be shrugged off easy. Brooks is having a monster year and I think the pair of them are enabling our 4 man pressure.

5) Agreed that Cox played well, didn't hear his name called much which is good.

6) This guy is legimitate star in the making and what stood out for me was his tackling on Lacy against Whitners attempted knock out blows. Donte better get some technique training from the rookie because Reid showed exactly how to stop a load like Lacy/Lynch, you wrap up and drag them down you don't try and hit them.

7) I want to see more of Hunter just to try and keep Frank fresh for the grind, but Frank is heart and soul of the offense.

8) Heart and soul of the defense. We need to get a ring for him and Frank.

9) The officiating was horrible, but 3 pass plays in a row inside first and goal when we have an Oline and RB of this quality in the run game. I think we should have put the ball in Frank's hands on at least one of the two visits in the first quarter. However it is hard to argue that the play calling was bad when it was blatent holding that stopped the TDs.

10) I think the Carolina game is going to come down to how our Oline holds up in pass protection. I think we can beat them on our defensive side of the ball, particularly with Aldon back, but for Kap to find Crabs, Patton and Vernon he's going to need longer than 1.5-2 seconds. I think we will need to run similar mis-direction plays as we did against Arizona and more quick slants etc.
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Crabs resigning is going to be a long shot. That's putting it lightly! We have to sign Kap and Aldon Smith. Whose contracts are up in a year. Which is going to be top dollar for both. Kap will sign a 100million contract, Aldon Smith will be paid the highest contract for an OLB.. Crabs is going to be looking for Fitz, Megatron type cash the $75-100million contract. So I'm enjoying Crabs for the time being. Unless he signs for cheap; which he won't!

Honestly...unless he wins the SB Kap ain't getting 100 mil. Aldon has hurt his value as well.

I think what it may come down to is Crab or Iupati. Halfway through last year, it was Iupati. No question. Not anymore.

If you see the 49ers take a massive guard in the first 3 rounds next year....don't be surprised if Iupati isn't resigned.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Our play clock management is the worst in the league. Time outs are valuable to have and we waste them game after game. get the play call in, get lined up early in the clock giving you time to change the play etc. sounds simple but apparently its not.

When has it cost us a game? You don't get to save em for the next game.

Super Bowl.

They used 2 timeouts (one earlier in the half) they could have used AFTER the 4th down play. They could actually have gotten the ball back but were unable to stop the clock because they had burned 2 of those TOs. The 49ers received the safety free kick at the end there. If the Ravens don't commit the safety (because there is still time on he clock), even less time is chewed up.

People seem to think the game ended on the 4th down pass to Crab. It didn't. There was still time on the clock.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM ]
This is what I'm talking about...

1st and 10 at BAL 5Ray Rice rush over left guard for 2 yards to the BALTIMORE 7, tackled by NaVorro Bowman and Dashon Goldson.

Timeout SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS, clock 1:42.

2nd and 8 at BAL 7Bernard Pierce rush over left end for no gain to the BALTIMORE 7, tackled by Ahmad Brooks.
3rd and 8 at BAL 7Vonta Leach rush over right guard for 1 yard to the BALTIMORE 8, tackled by Ray McDonald and NaVorro Bowman.

Timeout BALTIMORE RAVENS, clock 0:12.

4th and 7 at BAL 8Sam Koch rush over right end for a loss of 8 yards to the BALTIMORE 0 for a SAFETY.3431

Timeout BALTIMORE RAVENS, clock 00:04. 4th and 7 at BAL 20

Sam Koch punt for 61 yards, returned by Ted Ginn Jr. for 31 yards to the 50 yard line.

Look at the time that passed between those 2 TOs. THAT is where burning the timeouts killed us. Now who knows...perhaps the Ravens make a greater attempt to get a first down if the 49ers have those TOs. We'll never know though because they DIDN'T have them. Not having those TOs meant that the 4th down attempt to Crabtree effectively ended the game. If the 49ers use the timeouts and hold the Ravens to a punt there, they get the ball with good field position (Ball was at the 8 yard line) and maybe 1:20 to 1:30 on the clock.

TOs give you OPTIONS. Its just that simple.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:34 AM ]

1st and 10 at BAL 5Ray Rice rush over left guard for 2 yards to the BALTIMORE 7, tackled by NaVorro Bowman and Dashon Goldson.

2nd and 8 at BAL 7Bernard Pierce rush over left end for no gain to the BALTIMORE 7, tackled by Ahmad Brooks.
3rd and 8 at BAL 7Vonta Leach rush over right guard for 1 yard to the BALTIMORE 8, tackled by Ray McDonald and NaVorro Bowman.

4th and 7 at BAL 8Sam Koch rush over right end for a loss of 8 yards to the BALTIMORE 0 for a SAFETY.3431

Sam Koch punt for 61 yards, returned by Ted Ginn Jr. for 31 yards to the 50 yard line.

Look at the time that passed between those 2 TOs. THAT is where burning the timeouts killed us. Now who knows...perhaps the Ravens make a greater attempt to get a first down if the 49ers have those TOs. We'll never know though because the DIDN'T have them. Not having those TOs meant that the 4th down attempt to Crabtree effectively ended the game.

its the one we burned while we still had the ball that eats away at me. we're in goal to go, take the f**king 5 yard penalty and give yourself some more room.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Look at the time that passed between those 2 TOs. THAT is where burning the timeouts killed us. Now who knows...perhaps the Ravens make a greater attempt to get a first down if the 49ers have those TOs. We'll never know though because the DIDN'T have them. Not having those TOs meant that the 4th down attempt to Crabtree effectively ended the game.

its the one we burned while we still had the ball that eats away at me. we're in goal to go, take the f**king 5 yard penalty and give yourself some more room.

I also think they got the ball off and think that Kap may have scored.

Keeps me up at night. LOL.
Originally posted by crabman82:

I also think they got the ball off and think that Kap may have scored.

Keeps me up at night. LOL.

peter king tweeted after the game that in fact no flag was going to be thrown and that kaepernick would have walked in after gore blocked pollard.
Crabs resigning is going to be a long shot. That's putting it lightly! We have to sign Kap and Aldon Smith. Whose contracts are up in a year. Which is going to be top dollar for both. Kap will sign a 100million contract, Aldon Smith will be paid the highest contract for an OLB.. Crabs is going to be looking for Fitz, Megatron type cash the $75-100million contract. So I'm enjoying Crabs for the time being. Unless he signs for cheap; which he won't!

Honestly...unless he wins the SB Kap ain't getting 100 mil. Aldon has hurt his value as well.

I think what it may come down to is Crab or Iupati. Halfway through last year, it was Iupati. No question. Not anymore.

If you see the 49ers take a massive guard in the first 3 rounds next year....don't be surprised if Iupati isn't resigned.

Great points! I agree

You're right Marv in that Aldon and Crabtree might not be worth top dollar realistically, but someone will pay them. Jerry Jones would pay Crabtree megatron money in a heartbeat cause he's an idiot

disagree on 100 mil thing, cutler and romo have 2 playoff wins between them and cracked the 100 mill barrier. matt ryan too only has 1 playoff win. stafford got a new deal aswell, cant remember if it was over 100 mil though. kaepernick has 3 playoff wins in 4 tries. whether we think he is worth it or not does not matter, the market dictates he is worth over 100 mil
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM ]