LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 178 users in the forums

2013 - Wild Card Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Remember---- Eric Reid and Eddie Lacy have history..... LSU vs Bama..... I also remember that after the first hit he made on him, there was a bit of an exchange..... there was no way Reid was going to let Lacy get over on him in this game..... while others were bouncing off, Reid was wrapping up.... there was some pounding going on (both ways) in that game....
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Our play clock management is the worst in the league. Time outs are valuable to have and we waste them game after game. get the play call in, get lined up early in the clock giving you time to change the play etc. sounds simple but apparently its not.

When has it cost us a game? You don't get to save em for the next game.
Originally posted by jbeale49:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
2. Crabtree definitely needs to be resigned.

5. I don't think it's that they don't have confidence in Eric Wright. Remember Eric Wright was dealing with a hammy injury. Also Cox has had plenty experience with us playing Greenbay and has done a solid job. He was our go to guy to come on the field n past games for Patrick Willis in dime situations.

6. Yup that tackle on Cobb was a huge play. We were able to hold Greenbay to 3 and win the game because of it.

7. Gore had some key blocks. Dude is just all around smart ass baller.

8. Hope Justin Smith destroys Cam Newton.

10. It's time for payback. We were one Vance Mcdonald drop away from winning that last game without our best players in Crabtree, Vernon, and very little use of Aldon Smith. We are the better team, know what to expect from Carolina now, and thus we should win this game.

2. Crab: We haven't seen playoff Crab in the regular season. He is a big game player and his stats don't reflect where he ranks among WR1's in the league. Not that i expect a discount because of stats but I look at other teams payrolls and there is bad money. Dead money is one thing, bad money is another. Bad money, to me, is money that you regret having paid in hindsight. I look at our cap and marvel at how few dollars I regret. We have so many values on our roster, the time is now in the Quest for Six. Windows close and other windows open and I trust Baalke will get it done but 100% agree, get KingCrab back in Scarlet and Gold. He's better and more valuable than Victor Cruz but I don't want to see Cruz $$$.

Crab hasn't had that much of a chance in the regular season with Kap. The longer he plays with Kap the better he gets which is why his playoff numbers are so good. Give him a full healthy year and see what happens...my bet is HUGE numbers and a wish that we had signed him long term the year before.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Our play clock management is the worst in the league. Time outs are valuable to have and we waste them game after game. get the play call in, get lined up early in the clock giving you time to change the play etc. sounds simple but apparently its not.

Super Bowl.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Marvin: can you comment on playclock mgt. Colin just seems to take for ever to get the guys lined up and he is always rubbing up on the playclock. Which in the past has lead to TO or delay of game, none of which will be helpful moving forward in the playoffs. Is it that he is over analyzing the defenses to get the best play or is some of it by design to eat the clock?

Thanks

Great post as usual.

I think most of the time the clock issues are a product of not getting the play in with enough time and the fact that they have like 3 play calls on every down.

This time tho...those 2 second half ones weren't on him in the traditional sense. The first was that he forgot his armband. Thats just a brainfart. That armband is essential in the way they call plays. Andrew Luck used to have one and his center had another because there was too much information for just one.

The second was Patton lining up on the wrong side of the formation. When he tried to make him shift, Boldin thought he meant him and Kap called the timeout because the whole thing was mucked up.
Thanks. So is it then the Coaches taking a bit too long to get all the plays in or is it that Kaep is taking a while to read the defenses and get the best of the 3 plays called? I seriously think that Goodwin better start wearing an arm band too.
Marvin: can you comment on playclock mgt. Colin just seems to take for ever to get the guys lined up and he is always rubbing up on the playclock. Which in the past has lead to TO or delay of game, none of which will be helpful moving forward in the playoffs. Is it that he is over analyzing the defenses to get the best play or is some of it by design to eat the clock?

Thanks

Great post as usual.

I think most of the time the clock issues are a product of not getting the play in with enough time and the fact that they have like 3 play calls on every down.

This time tho...those 2 second half ones weren't on him in the traditional sense. The first was that he forgot his armband. Thats just a brainfart. That armband is essential in the way they call plays. Andrew Luck used to have one and his center had another because there was too much information for just one.

The second was Patton lining up on the wrong side of the formation. When he tried to make him shift, Boldin thought he meant him and Kap called the timeout because the whole thing was mucked up.
Thanks. So is it then the Coaches taking a bit too long to get all the plays in or is it that Kaep is taking a while to read the defenses and get the best of the 3 plays called? I seriously think that Goodwin better start wearing an arm band too.

I think the issue is that BY DESIGN the snap the ball with very few seconds left. They do it because they come to the line with 3 plays and try to force the D to declare late. Defenses know this now tho and counter by shifting very last leaving very little time for Kap to alter the play.

They are also trying to milk the clock from the first snap of the game.

Playing this way puts you on edge on every snap and they are simply going to run out of time from time to time simply because they intentionally walk that fine line.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

The thing that might bite the niners in the a** with the TO situation is if they ever need to challenge. In a game like Carolina coming up, and possibly Seattle, a challenge could very well be the difference in winning the game. These are going to be 2 VERY tough games.I would rather them lose a TO to a challenge then burn it because they can't get out of the huddle in time.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I think the issue is that BY DESIGN the snap the ball with very few seconds left. They do it because they come to the line with 3 plays and try to force the D to declare late. Defenses know this now tho and counter by shifting very last leaving very little time for Kap to alter the play.

Playing this way puts you on edge on every snap and they are simply going to run out of time from time to time simply because they intentionally walk that fine line.

You'd think that once in awhile they would snap it quicker to throw off the defense.
Crab hasn't had that much of a chance in the regular season with Kap. The longer he plays with Kap the better he gets which is why his playoff numbers are so good. Give him a full healthy year and see what happens...my bet is HUGE numbers and a wish that we had signed him long term the year before.

I agree, I did the math with Crab vs. Megatron 2012 after the Bears game after Kap took over. It was almost 800 yards and 7TD in half a season. We know what Megatron did in the stretch to beat Rice's record but Crab's numbers were comparable. That performance, coupled with the playoffs and whatever he does this year are going to be what dictate what it costs us. All of that being the case, paying him insane Cruz$$$ is largely speculative from a statistical standpoint. As far as my eye test goes, I think Crab can put up top 5 WR #'s with a full season. Not as many mouths to feed on our roster as others. I'd be curious to see a team with worse stats from WR3. I feel Manningham is grossly overrated. I'd rather see the General.
Crabs resigning is going to be a long shot. That's putting it lightly! We have to sign Kap and Aldon Smith. Whose contracts are up in a year. Which is going to be top dollar for both. Kap will sign a 100million contract, Aldon Smith will be paid the highest contract for an OLB.. Crabs is going to be looking for Fitz, Megatron type cash the $75-100million contract. So I'm enjoying Crabs for the time being. Unless he signs for cheap; which he won't!

Originally posted by Baldie:

You'd think that once in awhile they would snap it quicker to throw off the defense.

Yeah, if they go 4-receiver set, spread offense from a no-huddle (b/c no pre snap read needs to be done), CK is going to score in 2 plays (1 run) and (1 bomb).
This game highlighted what is wrong with officiating in general and that is its inconsistency from crew to crew.

Clear pass interference needs to be called because it gives the defender a huge advantage. Arm grabbing in particular needs to be flagged because it is usually so effective and obvious.

Holding that involves clear grabbing needs to be called, especially on the outside where it is obvious and effects the game so much.

It might help to have full-time officials and continuous instruction, grading and the removal of those who don't have the skill to do it. We all hate those phantom calls, yet no calls effect the game at least as much.

Whoever draws up the Warrior's inbound plays should be hired to draw up the Niner red zone plays. Other teams with inferior personnel seem to do better.
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Crabs resigning is going to be a long shot. That's putting it lightly! We have to sign Kap and Aldon Smith. Whose contracts are up in a year. Which is going to be top dollar for both. Kap will sign a 100million contract, Aldon Smith will be paid the highest contract for an OLB.. Crabs is going to be looking for Fitz, Megatron type cash the $75-100million contract. So I'm enjoying Crabs for the time being. Unless he signs for cheap; which he won't!

Ooof. Thats harsh. I wasn't even thinking Megatron or Fitz $. Maybe with a superbowl win and monster games through the playoffs. If we don't get it done, he can't command that dough. I'd expect something more along the lines of Welker $. History of injury, a high drop %, speed...he's a tweener in every category. Not 6'4" with blazing speed or physical body. Without the achillies in May i was fully expecting a line like this: 90Rec 1,500, 10TDs...in which case, yes...he will cost big bux, didn't happen. Remember, he's on the market with Nicks, Decker, Jacoby Jones, Boldin, Maclin, Golden Taint, Riley Cooper. Boldin at $8M being the high ticket of the bunch right now. I think Decker will get $10M.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah, if they go 4-receiver set, spread offense from a no-huddle (b/c no pre snap read needs to be done), CK is going to score in 2 plays (1 run) and (1 bomb).

Seriously, no-huddle ever once in a while would be nice, didn't Harbaugh/Roman run some no huddle when Alex was here?
Originally posted by jbeale49:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
2. Crabtree definitely needs to be resigned.

5. I don't think it's that they don't have confidence in Eric Wright. Remember Eric Wright was dealing with a hammy injury. Also Cox has had plenty experience with us playing Greenbay and has done a solid job. He was our go to guy to come on the field n past games for Patrick Willis in dime situations.

6. Yup that tackle on Cobb was a huge play. We were able to hold Greenbay to 3 and win the game because of it.

7. Gore had some key blocks. Dude is just all around smart ass baller.

8. Hope Justin Smith destroys Cam Newton.

10. It's time for payback. We were one Vance Mcdonald drop away from winning that last game without our best players in Crabtree, Vernon, and very little use of Aldon Smith. We are the better team, know what to expect from Carolina now, and thus we should win this game.

2. Crab: We haven't seen playoff Crab in the regular season. He is a big game player and his stats don't reflect where he ranks among WR1's in the league. Not that i expect a discount because of stats but I look at other teams payrolls and there is bad money. Dead money is one thing, bad money is another. Bad money, to me, is money that you regret having paid in hindsight. I look at our cap and marvel at how few dollars I regret. We have so many values on our roster, the time is now in the Quest for Six. Windows close and other windows open and I trust Baalke will get it done but 100% agree, get KingCrab back in Scarlet and Gold. He's better and more valuable than Victor Cruz but I don't want to see Cruz $$$.

If we signed him for Victor Cruz money that honestly would be perfect. I think Cruz was signed for 5 years, 43 million which would be a huge discount.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Seriously, no-huddle ever once in a while would be nice, didn't Harbaugh/Roman run some no huddle when Alex was here?

It would be nice to see that and would be a nice change up. We really do have the personnel to run a variety of different things. Our passing game has really been held back in spite of the fact that we have improved the talent level at receiver. We could've done more with what we had last year (Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, Davis, and Walker) and chose not to. Going four wide with Davis, Patton, Crabtree, and Boldin where Kaep quickly gets rid of the ball would be a site to see. It will require quick decision making however and taking advantage of some sure mismatches instead of looking for the big play or favorite target.
Share 49ersWebzone