LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

2013 - Wild Card Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wasn't wright battling a hamstring strain as well? I don't know if it was the coach's having more confidence in Cox, or if it was because wright just wasn't 100%
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Marvin: can you comment on playclock mgt. Colin just seems to take for ever to get the guys lined up and he is always rubbing up on the playclock. Which in the past has lead to TO or delay of game, none of which will be helpful moving forward in the playoffs. Is it that he is over analyzing the defenses to get the best play or is some of it by design to eat the clock?

Thanks

Great post as usual.

I think most of the time the clock issues are a product of not getting the play in with enough time and the fact that they have like 3 play calls on every down.

This time tho...those 2 second half ones weren't on him in the traditional sense. The first was that he forgot his armband. Thats just a brainfart. That armband is essential in the way they call plays. Andrew Luck used to have one and his center had another because there was too much information for just one.

The second was Patton lining up on the wrong side of the formation. When he tried to make him shift, Boldin thought he meant him and Kap called the timeout because the whole thing was mucked up.
Did Tarell Brown give up a completion against? I am not saying yes or no, but I don't remember seeing him as the DB on any plays by the Packers.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Did Tarell Brown give up a completion against? I am not saying yes or no, but I don't remember seeing him as the DB on any plays by the Packers.

i saw him defend a few nicely. I wish we could find a way to keep Brown and dump Rogers.
Our play clock management is the worst in the league. Time outs are valuable to have and we waste them game after game. get the play call in, get lined up early in the clock giving you time to change the play etc. sounds simple but apparently its not.
Originally posted by buck:
Only two penalties for 10 yards in the whole game!!!!!

Reid lost an interception when Brooks was offside.

Granted Rogers knew he had a free play but still....

Yeah, but to be fair Rodgers never would have thrown the ball if Brooks weren't offsides. Rodgers knew it was a free play.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

i saw him defend a few nicely. I wish we could find a way to keep Brown and dump Rogers.

I am not a cap expert, but that does seem to be a workable possibility.
  • buck
  • Veteran
double post sorry
[ Edited by buck on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM ]
I'd sign Crabtree>Iupati for sure.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

I am not a cap expert, but that does seem to be a workable possibility.

They may both be gone.

Rogers is a foregone conclusion.

*Eric Reid's tackle on Cobb saved the game for us. No one is talking about it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
They may both be gone.

Rogers is a foregone conclusion.

Right. Rogers is gone. Brown is a question mark. They'll definitely use a first or a second on the best corner available. T Brock has come into his own and they get Culliver back next season, so they may let Brown walk if he garners big bucks on the FA market. And, let's not forget Daryll Morris, the fastest guy on the team. I keep thinking he's the answer to quick slot guys like Auston and Harvin next season.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
*Eric Reid's tackle on Cobb saved the game for us. No one is talking about it.

I am.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Kap: Packer Slayer. Dunno whats up with that team, but they just can't figure him out. Refs were keeping those flags in their pockets so I think the stats would be different had they not, but it went both ways. There is a reason Rodgers only put up 177 and one of his biggest completions was on a play in which Ray McDonald was forcibly removed by the neck from the QB.

All in all, I'd say he had a good day...althoough that near pick at the end makes me nervous. Not sure why he even let the ball go. Looked like he was looking that way all the way and waiting for Anquan to turn.

Still...considering the conditions and the way the refs were calling the game, it was a pretty good outing. Those clutch runs at the end and the third down pass to Crab were particularly impressive.

2) Crabtree: Resign him. As soon as possible. He has moved way up to the top of pending free agents that need to be resigned. The difference in Kap with and without Crab is astounding.The trust Kap has in him and his ability to find open spots is exactly the kind of chemistry you home for when you draft a QB and a WR. They do stuff off-script for huge plays simply because they are on the same page. I thought he was a guy who would play one contract in SF. He needs to be a long term player here. Replacing him would be far harder than simply resigning him.

3) Conditions: Damn...that looked cold. LOL. Not as cold as advertised, but the Niners have to get some credit for traveling cross country and beating the Rodgers led Packers in Lambeau. Yeah, they were 8-71 and they had injuries all over the place, but Outside of the games he played against the Niners Rodgers was 6-1 and undeafeted at home. Yeah, the game probably shouldn't have been that close, but a win is a win. If they advance that far, that game may have been a pretty good practice for the Super Bowl. Cold weather game vs an all-world QB with a questionable defense. Denver? New England? Getting there is a tall order, but if they do this may have served as a good "warm up".

4) Aldon/Brooks: So nice to see those guys dominate a playoff game. 3.5 sacks between the two of them. Got pressure all day. They were a big reason Rodgers couldn't even eclipse 200 yards despite haveing all his WRs back and a true running threat.

5) Cox: I gotta give the guy credit. Yeah, he missed the sack. Yeah, he didn't play a perfect game...but he held up against possibly the best QB in the game. Not bad for a guy that was unemployed a week ago. It does concern me though that they had no confidense in Wright.

6) Reid: It didn't get much pub, but IMO Eric Reid had himself a pretty damn good game. Made so pretty good hits in run defense and made some tackles that limited the damage in a few cases. The run by Lacy might have scored if he doesn't make a sure tackle. The long reception to Cobb was also a tackle by Reid. Cobb scores without it. Not bad for the rook. He allowed Cobb to make the reception, but you aren't going to cover a guy all day.

7) Gore: Just gets the job done. Grinding out those tough yards. Made really key blocks on several of Kaps runs. Man we are going to miss him when he's gone.

8) Justin Smith: Yup. Still a monster.

9) Roman: The sites favorite whipping boy. I'm sure there are some screaming about his redzone playcalling. I'd say if the refs didn't glue their flags to their pants the redzone calls would have looked much better. He did get away from Gore at times which frustrates me, but all in all I can't be all that upset with his playcalling.

10) Carolina: Rematch. It will be a tough game...no question, but I think it's winable. Crabtree back. Vernon Back. Celek back (remember, Niners lost 2 of their 3 TEs in this game). Kap has more experience, better weapons, and is on a hot streak. He won't be running like he did in GB, but I think they'll be able to muster up enough points to win. Should be fun.

1. I can tell when Kaep is struggling to read because his eyes and his body movements at the line show it. if I can see it, so can the defense. It usually comes when a team is showing some blitz and the majority of the time he is overreacting. Time to time he takes a timeout but in general I hope he grows a comfort in these situations. I love how he plays against the Pack and just wish he would show his eagerness to run against other teams. I have noticed that at least in the playoffs he is inclined to scramble when his first reads are not there after throwing a pick. The sample is short, but that is what has happened in both games against GB.

2. Mike Crabtree is never gonna be a burner. Jerry wasn't a burner but all he did and all Mike does is get open and you don't let guys like him walk. He's got a ton or tread on his tires and his chemistry with Kaep makes him worth it.

3. My feeling is that we handled the conditions better than the Packers. Was it the weather or was it our brute power that knocked out a handful of their players. In the end there were more 49ers standing than Packers. The weather thing was way overrated. Was it just me or did they find it hardest to stay warm in the on-field post game interviews?

4. If it wasn't for the other two inside guys they would be even bigger names in the game. Aldon Smith is the best pass rusher in the game and Ahmad isn't that far behind. Ahmad is under praised and under appreciated.

5. Parrish Cox is a ball player and he should never be cut again. Find a place for him. He is young and he has skills worth developing. He bailed out butt out so show some gratitude. We got lucky he was available.

6. Eric Reid is the total package. He covers all receivers, he supports the run and he hits. And he also does something more important; he wraps up when he tackles most of the time. Whitner should watch his protege as much as his watches him. I loveREALLY this kid and he will end up being considered a steal of the draft.

7. Gore....Fraaaaaaank. That's my war cry during games. There is a reason I went out and bought a helmet with his autograph on it, I love him, I love his heart and I love his smarts. We REALLY don't appreciate him enough and I want to see him get a ring more than anything. He is always there for the team and does even the little things and that is what makes him a HOF'er in my book. He is a special, special player.

8. Good God, how does a man that size throw around much smaller men like he does. The call Lynch a "Beast", then what is Justin? We need to clone him!

9. This is always an area where I disagree with you and yes he is my whipping boy and yes the ref's calls were bad but there is more than one way to punch the ball into the endzone. His play calling just lacks the imagination he is supposed to have at times. I'd just like to see him use all of his playmakers down there and come away with TD's and not FG's. If he isn't the problem then what is? Hopefully he continues to turn it up in the next few weeks.

10. We do "owe" these guys and I'd like to see that "e" change to a "n". Our players are better, our stats are better and with a full team we will be better. I see a different offensive outcome in this game. The defenses will be the same but the offenses will make the difference. The weather will be less of a factor and even if it rains a little as predicted it will be so much better at 60 degrees than at -10.

11. I'm adding something. I think we should use Dixon in the passing game a little more like we used Miller. His catch and run yesterday was really nice and he is much shiftier than Miller. Tukuafu drew some praise form a buddy of mine who is a bear friend. He called him "a load". Yep, not too bad for a lineman.

I feel confident and I think the team is as well. Now can we be "road warriors" and win this whole darn thing on the road (I don't think the Saints do it.)? In 2011 we were a surprise, in 2012 we did what was expected, but this year just feels different. We are a rough and tough, confident team who I think can win everywhere and beat anyone. Weather, great players, hostile environment, bad situations, they just don't back down. When one think about it, they are Jim Harbaugh. Tough and tough-minded, confident and they believe that no matter what they can always win. Scoring tons of points and pitching shutouts doesn't make a team champions. Doing whatever is needed in any situation and never backing down makes a team champions. It makes for high blood pressure and short finger nails but it makes for some fun football.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
2. Crabtree definitely needs to be resigned.

5. I don't think it's that they don't have confidence in Eric Wright. Remember Eric Wright was dealing with a hammy injury. Also Cox has had plenty experience with us playing Greenbay and has done a solid job. He was our go to guy to come on the field n past games for Patrick Willis in dime situations.

6. Yup that tackle on Cobb was a huge play. We were able to hold Greenbay to 3 and win the game because of it.

7. Gore had some key blocks. Dude is just all around smart ass baller.

8. Hope Justin Smith destroys Cam Newton.

10. It's time for payback. We were one Vance Mcdonald drop away from winning that last game without our best players in Crabtree, Vernon, and very little use of Aldon Smith. We are the better team, know what to expect from Carolina now, and thus we should win this game.

2. Crab: We haven't seen playoff Crab in the regular season. He is a big game player and his stats don't reflect where he ranks among WR1's in the league. Not that i expect a discount because of stats but I look at other teams payrolls and there is bad money. Dead money is one thing, bad money is another. Bad money, to me, is money that you regret having paid in hindsight. I look at our cap and marvel at how few dollars I regret. We have so many values on our roster, the time is now in the Quest for Six. Windows close and other windows open and I trust Baalke will get it done but 100% agree, get KingCrab back in Scarlet and Gold. He's better and more valuable than Victor Cruz but I don't want to see Cruz $$$.
Share 49ersWebzone