There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Wild Card Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

This game really has me changing my stance on Crabtree. He will probably be an expensive guy to resign, but the fact remains he is a man that rises to the occasion. He wants the ball in the big moment and is prepared to due damage. Fans of other teams and writers are attacking certain players tendency to be anti-clutch (Tony Romo, Andy Dalton, among others) and we have four guys who are legitimately big time players in big time situations. Those players are Colin Kaepernick, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, and Michael Crabtree. It's hard to find it. Might be easier to keep #15 than try to replace him.

From a player standpoint, I really thought we did well taking everything into consideration.
Let's give
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Does Rogers get his job back?

This secondary has been cut throat when it comes to a guy playing well in place of the injured starter. In 2011, Culliver took Brock's spot after injury. This year Brock took Nnamdi's job after injury. Then Brock held on to Brown's job when he was healthy again. I think Brown only started again because Rogers went down.. right?

Donatell and Fangio haven't been quick to give the job back after good performances.

Let's give Cox another shot. He played well.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Marvin: can you comment on playclock mgt. Colin just seems to take for ever to get the guys lined up and he is always rubbing up on the playclock. Which in the past has lead to TO or delay of game, none of which will be helpful moving forward in the playoffs. Is it that he is over analyzing the defenses to get the best play or is some of it by design to eat the clock?

Thanks

Great post as usual.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good postMarv,

My 2 cents.

Dawson is awesome. Resign him as well.

Cox really impressed. He played almost every D-snap and special teams.

Osgood played very well - also needs to be resigned.

Is Ventrone under contract next season?

Wow...how did I leave out Dawson?

I would also give props to our rookie long snapper too. Thanks for the analysis and information.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This game really has me changing my stance on Crabtree. He will probably be an expensive guy to resign, but the fact remains he is a man that rises to the occasion. He wants the ball in the big moment and is prepared to due damage. Fans of other teams and writers are attacking certain players tendency to be anti-clutch (Tony Romo, Andy Dalton, among others) and we have four guys who are legitimately big time players in big time situations. Those players are Colin Kaepernick, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, and Michael Crabtree. It's hard to find it. Might be easier to keep #15 than try to replace him.

From a player standpoint, I really thought we did well taking everything into consideration.

with Kaep in the playoffs, Crabtree's stats:

4 games, 28 receptions (7.0 per game), 410 yds (102.5 yd/game), 3 TDs (0.75 TDs/game)

c'mon Crabtree... let's see another 7 catch 103 yds, and 1 TD on Sunday!

I'd say Boldin is a legitimate big time player in big time situations. He has stepped up big at various time throughout the year with key 3rd down completions for 1st down and a lot of big TD catches. Plus, the dude killed us in the Super Bowl.. it doesn't get bigger than that.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

with Kaep in the playoffs, Crabtree's stats:

4 games, 28 receptions (7.0 per game), 410 yds (102.5 yd/game), 3 TDs (0.75 TDs/game)

c'mon Crabtree... let's see another 7 catch 103 yds, and 1 TD on Sunday!

I'd bet Boldin is the star on Sunday. Teams are goofy, they look at the previous weeks big performer and key in on him. So the Panthers will probably key in on Crabs and VD and then leave Boldin with the one-on-one. Kind of the way it has been going the last 2 months in my opinion and why each week one of the three has a big day receiving but it is never the same guy back to back weeks.
Two words: Awesome Dawson
I enjoy it when the refs let teams play, especially when there is good defenses playing. But the refs have got to throw a flag on the second redzone trip to Crabtree and the McDonald neck choke,

1. Crabtree - He's my favorite niner to watch. His yards after the catch are awesome. He's very shifty. Seems like he is playing angry right now for missing the regular season.

2. Our Free Agent signings/trades are paying off big time. Boldin, Dorsey, Dawson, etc...

3. When you rewatched, did anyone notice Aldon on some of his pass rushes? Was he giving up on plays? Or frustrated that he was getting held all day? It seemed like he would get locked up and then kind of stop.

4. Kaep's played pretty well considering the circumstances. If Rodgers never got hurt the Pack probably would have been better than 8-7-1. Kaep's deep ball seemed to be off. His pick probably wouldn't have been a pick if Boldin had went full go on his sprint route. He slowed up which allowed the safety to not have to follow him. Kaep's near pick at the end was just scary.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I enjoy it when the refs let teams play, especially when there is good defenses playing. But the refs have got to throw a flag on the second redzone trip to Crabtree and the McDonald neck choke,

3. When you rewatched, did anyone notice Aldon on some of his pass rushes? Was he giving up on plays? Or frustrated that he was getting held all day? It seemed like he would get locked up and then kind of stop.

Aldon was out of the game for many plays. I think he was cramping up.

At half time, they had to give an IV to prevent or overcome dehydration.

1. Crabtree - He's my favorite niner to watch. His yards after the catch are awesome. He's very shifty. Seems like he is playing angry right now for missing the regular season.

2. Our Free Agent signings/trades are paying off big time. Boldin, Dorsey, Dawson, etc...

4. Kaep's played pretty well considering the circumstances. If Rodgers never got hurt the Pack probably would have been better than 8-7-1. Kaep's deep ball seemed to be off. His pick probably wouldn't have been a pick if Boldin had went full go on his sprint route. He slowed up which allowed the safety to not have to follow him. Kaep's near pick at the end was just scary.

I'm blaming that on the cold weather.

Since it won't be this cold the rest of the way, all should be fine.
I think the deal with Aldon was that he was dealing with hydration/cramping issues. People usually associate cramping with heat, but you can also get dehydrated in extreme cold.

I noticed it a few times. One was on that Jordy nelson TD. Rodgers ran in the opposite direction of him, but still, you never know what might happen. GET TO THE BALL!

To his defense though, the OL had a full on bear hug on him and of course, no flag.

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I'm blaming that on the cold weather.

Since it won't be this cold the rest of the way, all should be fine.

With the SB in New Jersey, it might be similar conditions.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Only two penalties for 10 yards in the whole game!!!!!

Reid lost an interception when Brooks was offside.

Granted Rogers knew he had a free play but still....