There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Wild Card Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

1) Kap: Packer Slayer. Dunno whats up with that team, but they just can't figure him out. Refs were keeping those flags in their pockets so I think the stats would be different had they not, but it went both ways. There is a reason Rodgers only put up 177 and one of his biggest completions was on a play in which Ray McDonald was forcibly removed by the neck from the QB.

All in all, I'd say he had a good day...althoough that near pick at the end makes me nervous. Not sure why he even let the ball go. Looked like he was looking that way all the way and waiting for Anquan to turn.

Still...considering the conditions and the way the refs were calling the game, it was a pretty good outing. Those clutch runs at the end and the third down pass to Crab were particularly impressive.


2) Crabtree: Resign him. As soon as possible. He has moved way up to the top of pending free agents that need to be resigned. The difference in Kap with and without Crab is astounding.The trust Kap has in him and his ability to find open spots is exactly the kind of chemistry you home for when you draft a QB and a WR. They do stuff off-script for huge plays simply because they are on the same page. I thought he was a guy who would play one contract in SF. He needs to be a long term player here. Replacing him would be far harder than simply resigning him.


3) Conditions: Damn...that looked cold. LOL. Not as cold as advertised, but the Niners have to get some credit for traveling cross country and beating the Rodgers led Packers in Lambeau. Yeah, they were 8-71 and they had injuries all over the place, but Outside of the games he played against the Niners Rodgers was 6-1 and undeafeted at home. Yeah, the game probably shouldn't have been that close, but a win is a win. If they advance that far, that game may have been a pretty good practice for the Super Bowl. Cold weather game vs an all-world QB with a questionable defense. Denver? New England? Getting there is a tall order, but if they do this may have served as a good "warm up".


4) Aldon/Brooks: So nice to see those guys dominate a playoff game. 3.5 sacks between the two of them. Got pressure all day. They were a big reason Rodgers couldn't even eclipse 200 yards despite haveing all his WRs back and a true running threat.


5) Cox: I gotta give the guy credit. Yeah, he missed the sack. Yeah, he didn't play a perfect game...but he held up against possibly the best QB in the game. Not bad for a guy that was unemployed a week ago. It does concern me though that they had no confidense in Wright.


6) Reid: It didn't get much pub, but IMO Eric Reid had himself a pretty damn good game. Made so pretty good hits in run defense and made some tackles that limited the damage in a few cases. The run by Lacy might have scored if he doesn't make a sure tackle. The long reception to Cobb was also a tackle by Reid. Cobb scores without it. Not bad for the rook. He allowed Cobb to make the reception, but you aren't going to cover a guy all day.


7) Gore: Just gets the job done. Grinding out those tough yards. Made really key blocks on several of Kaps runs. Man we are going to miss him when he's gone.


8) Justin Smith: Yup. Still a monster.


9) Roman: The sites favorite whipping boy. I'm sure there are some screaming about his redzone playcalling. I'd say if the refs didn't glue their flags to their pants the redzone calls would have looked much better. He did get away from Gore at times which frustrates me, but all in all I can't be all that upset with his playcalling.


10) Carolina: Rematch. It will be a tough game...no question, but I think it's winable. Crabtree back. Vernon Back. Celek back (remember, Niners lost 2 of their 3 TEs in this game). Kap has more experience, better weapons, and is on a hot streak. He won't be running like he did in GB, but I think they'll be able to muster up enough points to win. Should be fun.
Thanks Marvin good post as always. I thought both sides of the ball played well. Questionable play calling at times but then in light of this game, the conditions, and the fact that Rodgers will keep them in any game, they won and as Cowboy would say, stats are for losers.

I can see winning at Carolina but it will be a tough game. But that is how you get to the top by beating the best.
Nice job!! I agree pay kingcrab!!! I think the nfc championship will be niners seahawks. We'll have Crab, Vernon, Patton, Celek, Reid,and Aldon all available in witch we didn't have the last time. Kap is coming into his own. And the coaches always seem to save plays for the playoffs. I fully expect a W in Carolina.
Good call about Reid... he has several key tackles that were TD savers...

I have full confidence in him.
Good postMarv,

My 2 cents.

Dawson is awesome. Resign him as well.

Cox really impressed. He played almost every D-snap and special teams.

Osgood played very well - also needs to be resigned.

Is Ventrone under contract next season?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Good call about Reid... he has several key tackles that were TD savers...

I have full confidence in him.

Fully agree as well.

Other rookies throughout the league may have put up gaudier stats, but Reid has really solidified the secondary and made it much more consistent. I think Baalke knocked this one out of the park.
Great read and always love your analysis! I have to agree that a decision on Crabs needs to come quickly after the season, hopefully after a super bowl victory. Both sides played well and Brooks and Smith collapsed the edges quickly all game. McDonald and J. Smith were monsters in the middle. I loved the fact that the refs let the boys play some real old school football today... besides the more than obvious holding call on McDonald it was an evenly called game. Can't ask for more than that.

On to Carolina -- They will see a different 9er team next Sunday. We need to rest up, as we left that game pretty healthy considering the playing conditions. One of my fears was winning this game and getting a bit beat up in the weather and field conditions. Personally I think we need to attack the Panthers similar to the way we did the Cardinals a couple weeks ago. Take it to the perimeter when they stack the box (which they will). Quick passes to Boldin, Patton, or Crabs. I think we need to use some swing passes to Hunter or James too. Pull out all stops -- It's win or go home!!! I think we get the W and HOPEFULLY see the Saints march into Seattle do the heavy lifting that sets up the NFC Championship game at the Stick!!!
Nothing to be concerned about that Wright didn't play over Cox. Hamstring injuries in that kind of weather are extremely difficult to play through.
Really good game by the 49ers considering the environment as well as the boost the Packers got from the return Rodgers back. It's important to understand that Green Bay with Rodgers all year is NOT an 8-7-1 team. Add in the cold weather and the noise and the 49ers and Kaepernick played great. What's becoming evident as the year progresses is most defenses are unable to cover both Crabtree and Boldin, it seems like a pick your poison affair out there at times and last night the Packers paid more attention to Boldin.

Next week should be a very good, tight game that is winnable for the 49ers. The Panthers are in many ways a mirror image of the 49ers. They have strong, physical fronts on both sides of the ball, good tight ends and running backs, and young QB's with superstar potential who can run as well as throw.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good postMarv,

My 2 cents.

Dawson is awesome. Resign him as well.

Cox really impressed. He played almost every D-snap and special teams.

Osgood played very well - also needs to be resigned.

Is Ventrone under contract next season?


Wow...how did I leave out Dawson?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Wow...how did I leave out Dawson?


Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Wow...how did I leave out Dawson?




hehe.
Does Rogers get his job back?

This secondary has been cut throat when it comes to a guy playing well in place of the injured starter. In 2011, Culliver took Brock's spot after injury. This year Brock took Nnamdi's job after injury. Then Brock held on to Brown's job when he was healthy again. I think Brown only started again because Rogers went down.. right?

Donatell and Fangio haven't been quick to give the job back after good performances.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Kap: Packer Slayer. Dunno whats up with that team, but they just can't figure him out. Refs were keeping those flags in their pockets so I think the stats would be different had they not, but it went both ways. There is a reason Rodgers only put up 177 and one of his biggest completions was on a play in which Ray McDonald was forcibly removed by the neck from the QB.

All in all, I'd say he had a good day...althoough that near pick at the end makes me nervous. Not sure why he even let the ball go. Looked like he was looking that way all the way and waiting for Anquan to turn.

Still...considering the conditions and the way the refs were calling the game, it was a pretty good outing. Those clutch runs at the end and the third down pass to Crab were particularly impressive.


2) Crabtree: Resign him. As soon as possible. He has moved way up to the top of pending free agents that need to be resigned. The difference in Kap with and without Crab is astounding.The trust Kap has in him and his ability to find open spots is exactly the kind of chemistry you home for when you draft a QB and a WR. They do stuff off-script for huge plays simply because they are on the same page. I thought he was a guy who would play one contract in SF. He needs to be a long term player here. Replacing him would be far harder than simply resigning him.


3) Conditions: Damn...that looked cold. LOL. Not as cold as advertised, but the Niners have to get some credit for traveling cross country and beating the Rodgers led Packers in Lambeau. Yeah, they were 8-71 and they had injuries all over the place, but Outside of the games he played against the Niners Rodgers was 6-1 and undeafeted at home. Yeah, the game probably shouldn't have been that close, but a win is a win. If they advance that far, that game may have been a pretty good practice for the Super Bowl. Cold weather game vs an all-world QB with a questionable defense. Denver? New England? Getting there is a tall order, but if they do this may have served as a good "warm up".


4) Aldon/Brooks: So nice to see those guys dominate a playoff game. 3.5 sacks between the two of them. Got pressure all day. They were a big reason Rodgers couldn't even eclipse 200 yards despite haveing all his WRs back and a true running threat.


5) Cox: I gotta give the guy credit. Yeah, he missed the sack. Yeah, he didn't play a perfect game...but he held up against possibly the best QB in the game. Not bad for a guy that was unemployed a week ago. It does concern me though that they had no confidense in Wright.


6) Reid: It didn't get much pub, but IMO Eric Reid had himself a pretty damn good game. Made so pretty good hits in run defense and made some tackles that limited the damage in a few cases. The run by Lacy might have scored if he doesn't make a sure tackle. The long reception to Cobb was also a tackle by Reid. Cobb scores without it. Not bad for the rook. He allowed Cobb to make the reception, but you aren't going to cover a guy all day.


7) Gore: Just gets the job done. Grinding out those tough yards. Made really key blocks on several of Kaps runs. Man we are going to miss him when he's gone.


8) Justin Smith: Yup. Still a monster.


9) Roman: The sites favorite whipping boy. I'm sure there are some screaming about his redzone playcalling. I'd say if the refs didn't glue their flags to their pants the redzone calls would have looked much better. He did get away from Gore at times which frustrates me, but all in all I can't be all that upset with his playcalling.


10) Carolina: Rematch. It will be a tough game...no question, but I think it's winable. Crabtree back. Vernon Back. Celek back (remember, Niners lost 2 of their 3 TEs in this game). Kap has more experience, better weapons, and is on a hot streak. He won't be running like he did in GB, but I think they'll be able to muster up enough points to win. Should be fun.

2. Crabtree definitely needs to be resigned.


5. I don't think it's that they don't have confidence in Eric Wright. Remember Eric Wright was dealing with a hammy injury. Also Cox has had plenty experience with us playing Greenbay and has done a solid job. He was our go to guy to come on the field n past games for Patrick Willis in dime situations.

6. Yup that tackle on Cobb was a huge play. We were able to hold Greenbay to 3 and win the game because of it.

7. Gore had some key blocks. Dude is just all around smart ass baller.

8. Hope Justin Smith destroys Cam Newton.

10. It's time for payback. We were one Vance Mcdonald drop away from winning that last game without our best players in Crabtree, Vernon, and very little use of Aldon Smith. We are the better team, know what to expect from Carolina now, and thus we should win this game.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Does Rogers get his job back?

This secondary has been cut throat when it comes to a guy playing well in place of the injured starter. In 2011, Culliver took Brock's spot after injury. This year Brock took Nnamdi's job after injury. Then Brock held on to Brown's job when he was healthy again. I think Brown only started again because Rogers went down.. right?

Donatell and Fangio haven't been quick to give the job back after good performances.


Rogers will be back (assuming he can play). He has his issues, but he's far better than Cox.

He's done in SF tho after the season.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM ]