There are 233 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Red zone offense.

Is it me, or do we only tend to score TD's when we're outside the 20 yard line? I know the field shrinks but when we get inside the 10, if we're not running the ball effectively I rarely see a TD pass into the endzone. This has been a problem all year and will eventually cost us a game this post season if we can't score TD's. We should have routed these guys if we could have scored early. We love living on the edge..
We arent as effective as we should be in the redzone. For starters we need to run more once we get there. We also need to be more creative with play actions. And also we need a guy that is more effective on jump balls. Crabs and Boldin are great, but they arent superstars as far as RZ targets go. Neither is VD, although he has had some success catching quick strikes right at the goalline, he is not really great on jump balls in the back of the endzone.

Most of the problems though are playcalling and creativity inside the redzone. We almost always pass from a bootleg to the right side, and we dont effectively setup third down scenarios with the run game.
We need to get better, but it is an area that has been steadily improving since Harbs started coaching the team.

Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only)

2011 -- 40.7% (30th)
2012 -- 54.7% (15th)
2012 -- 56.4% (11th)

The thing is we tend to pile up the FGs early in games, missing out on opportunities to build a significant early lead. I'd like to see us reverse that trend. Pile up TDs early, then settle for FGs when the game is out of reach.
What red zone offense?
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
What red zone offense?
He means the "Field Goal Set Up" offense
it would help if roman didnt call the same play that didnt work twice in a row. if it didnt work the first time, why would it work the second time? i think kap should audible and call his own stuff in the redzone
Roman needs to learn some bread and butter red zone plays that get the job done. We have way too much big, physical talent to be failing inside the 20 all the time.

Its all low % passes. We also dont run in the red zone enough.

The "Vernon Post" aka "The catch III". Use that more often. It works. Hes big and physical. Run Kap outside with some pulling blockers. Just no more fade routes to the corners of the endzone.

There are SO many close games this year that wouldve been blowouts had we been able to execute in the red zone, including todays game.

Its mostly Roman, but Kap also needs to work on his short to intermediate passing touch. Part of the problem is he wants to fire rockets all the time, which isnt good in a condensed field.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We need to get better, but it is an area that has been steadily improving since Harbs started coaching the team.

2011 -- 40.7% (30th)
2012 -- 54.7% (15th)
2012 -- 56.4% (11th)

The thing is we tend to pile up the FGs early in games, missing out on opportunities to build a significant early lead. I'd like to see us reverse that trend. Pile up TDs early, then settle for FGs when the game is out of reach.

I had no clue. That is better than I would have thought.
Web Zone experts, lol.

2011 -- 40.7% (30th)
2012 -- 54.7% (15th)
2012 -- 56.4% (11th)

Is that last one 2013? at 56.4%. That is a lot better than I thought. Almost top ten.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
it would help if roman didnt call the same play that didnt work twice in a row. if it didnt work the first time, why would it work the second time? i think kap should audible and call his own stuff in the redzone

Didn't that work in last year's SuperBowl? Oh wait....
We should have had a 21-7 lead at halftime in GB but instead had to settle for FG's. Imagine if we had a legit redzone offense, I think I'd be less nervous in the upcoming games.
We should have had a 21-7 lead at halftime in GB but instead had to settle for FG's. Imagine if we had a legit redzone offense, I think I'd be less nervous in the upcoming games.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

2011 -- 40.7% (30th)
2012 -- 54.7% (15th)
2012 -- 56.4% (11th)

Is that last one 2013? at 56.4%. That is a lot better than I thought. Almost top ten.

Yup, thanks for pointing that out. Meant to type 2013.
For some reason, HaRoman called more pass plays in the red zone instead of punching it in with Gore, per usual. We might see more of that in the Carolina game too.