LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 176 users in the forums

The one consistent problem that has continued all season....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Burning timeouts. I have been saying to myself all season long, "They can't keep burning timeouts like this once they make it to the playoffs." Well we just experienced game 1 of the playoffs, and this may have been the worst example yet of wasting timeouts. What is going on??? Why has this not been fixed yet?
It's the problem with Roman's offense.
It hasn't been just this season. It's been since Harbaugh has been hired. Quite honestly I think it is because of all the pre-snap shifting this team does as well as a complicated relay system to get the call to the QB.

And I highly doubt this will be fixed any time soon. Just the nature of Roman's offense or Harbaugh's playcalling system.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Burning timeouts. I have been saying to myself all season long, "They can't keep burning timeouts like this once they make it to the playoffs." Well we just experienced game 1 of the playoffs, and this may have been the worst example yet of wasting timeouts. What is going on??? Why has this not been fixed yet?

Because everybody know's that without Romans genius pre-snap shifting, we would never be able to complete a pass or run the ball.

On those last few drives, there was almost no pre-snap b******t, yet somehow we were able to move the ball and get first downs. Interesting.
You mean a team can just line up and run a play, and still have it work?.........naaah wHAT YOU.....FAHGETTABOUTIT
  • sfout
  • Veteran
The timeout at the beginning of the second half apparently was the result of Kaepernick forgetting to put his wristband play sheet back on. Hearing that makes me say WTF!

Especially when we lined up in the same formation after the timeout and got stuffed.
New season..... Same problem
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
New season..... Same problem

As long as we have play-calling by committee in place, the offense will always appear clunky and disjointed. Illegal formations, false starts, and delay of games will always persist with this system.
My favorite was when Kaep called a timeout after we was trying to draw them offsides.... Only to punt it
Just once, I'd like to see the offense set up, and quick snap it. That would trick the defense, the fans, and camera crew. 49ers tried to draw the eagles offsides (and blows a timeout), but that won't happen because everyone knows Kap's play doesn't start until the play click hits zero (or later

Kap needs to be more aware of the playclock and just go with the play called if there isn't enough time, but the big problem is the offense. We call two plays and let Kap audible to the other. Kap needs to gain more responsibility and know appropriate plays to audible to so that only one call is given. Two calls takes way too much time and leaves Kap with no time to audible or read the defense. We need to make a change in our system so that we stop having this problem. Kap needs more time to read the D and audible if he needs to.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I put this all on Kap. He needs to do a better job at getting the call and getting to the line as quickly as possible so he has plenty of time to make his reads and change the play if needed. When there's less than 10 seconds on the clock and they are breaking to get to the line, you can already feel a TO is coming or a delay of game penalty.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Just once, I'd like to see the offense set up, and quick snap it. That would trick the defense, the fans, and camera crew. 49ers tried to draw the eagles offsides (and blows a timeout), but that won't happen because everyone knows Kap's play doesn't start until the play click hits zero (or later

Yeah the niners aren't going to draw anybody offsides because their cadences are predictable. They don't usually hike it until after 2-3 hikes before that. Maybe once in awhile don't change the play just hike it to throw them off. This works alot on the short yardage runs because the D aren't completely ready. Sometimes you get a big play out of it to.
Share 49ersWebzone