LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

I can't be the only one who LOVED the officiating!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I can't be the only one who LOVED the officiating!

It is really clear to me that there was an edict from the league to leave the flag in your pocket for the playoffs. Watching all the games it wasnt just ours where PI and offensive holding were completely ignored all day. I think it sucks because it benefits certain teams like the Hawks a lot more than us, but we are going to have to adjust our tactics and try to keep up...Not sure what we can do though, our defense is based on pass rush and coverage corners...so we are screwed by one non-call and not using the kind of personel like Seattle that are accustomed to using the other.
#69, Bahktiari loved it as well, that piece of s**t was hugging, mugging, and grasping and grabbing Aldon Smith right up until he left with an injury. Green Bay received more benefit from the s**tty officiating then we did, so no I thought it sucked! Arron Rodgers great escape and 24 yard toss is the number one pass play of the week, and you can see Ray Mac getting pulled from behind (holding) to free Rodgers up! That game should have been a blow out, Aldon would have had a hat trick in sacks, or Green Bay would have held the fullback, or TE in to help out. Letting Bahkteari hold like that radically effected the game. Don't even get me started on the PI in the end zone!
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
The play was 4th down. Would have been ZERO points

That was a huge non-call

No, if they had accepted the holding penalty it would have backed them up 10 yds and a replay of 4th down again. Probably would have tried a long field goal instead.
I am on the fence. I can see both sides. The game wasn't decided by a bad call, therefore "letting them play" is fine with me. On the flip side Green Bay players were holding us lots.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
#69, Bahktiari loved it as well, that piece of s**t was hugging, mugging, and grasping and grabbing Aldon Smith right up until he left with an injury. Green Bay received more benefit from the s**tty officiating then we did, so no I thought it sucked! Arron Rodgers great escape and 24 yard toss is the number one pass play of the week, and you can see Ray Mac getting pulled from behind (holding) to free Rodgers up! That game should have been a blow out, Aldon would have had a hat trick in sacks, or Green Bay would have held the fullback, or TE in to help out. Letting Bahkteari hold like that radically effected the game. Don't even get me started on the PI in the end zone!

I saw that as well! I am glad we managed to come out of it with a win, but had some of the more flagrant non-calls been flagged it would not have been so close IMHO.
What does "letting them play" even mean? Play what? What makes the game is rules. Of course, the officials can't see every infraction and just what is an infraction is often a judgment call on the part of a ref, but the more the officials deliberately don't enforce rules they see are clearly broken, then the less it is a game and the more it is just a free-for-all. And when blatant offenses against rules aren't called, then the penalties that are called seem all the more arbitrary.

And then there's this thing - false equivalence. Were there penalties not called on both sides? Yes. Were they equal in quantity and quality? Not even close (hence, the false equivalence) - especially when comparing the the calls that should have been made against Green Bay's offensive line. Every 49er pass rusher was routinely grossly held (and often mauled). I'm not as sure about the false equivalence when it comes to the pass receivers/pass defenders since the broadcast often didn't show what was happening down field.
The people who are in favor of the non calls in yesterdays game will be screaming bloody murder if and when the 49er's play the Seahawks and watch the likes of Sherman maul the receivers. So ....no, I'm not in favor of it. They SHOULD call penalties as ruled.

When Rodgers escape after being trapped and the Packers lineman was physically choking the defensive player and no penalty was called, I began to wonder if mugging has become acceptable in the game.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
No, if they had accepted the holding penalty it would have backed them up 10 yds and a replay of 4th down again. Probably would have tried a long field goal instead.

4th and 2 at SF 30(Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass deep right to R.Cobb to SF 4 for 26 yards (P.Cox).

Penalty puts them at 40

Field goal of approx. 55 yards in those conditions? Doubt they attempt that and risk giving us great field position

*EDIT*
Even our strong legged kicker didn't feel good with anything over 47 yards per the Mercury News

"I saw, from my perspective, a guy come off the left wing jump prior to the snap, and I hurried up a little bit," said Dawson, who figured his range probably was maximum 47 yards.
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

tom jackson on espn said the greatest thing last night when he said aldon made 69 check out. as you know i refuse to blame refs for things but yes there is no excuse for the non call on the great escape. i think packers fans are mad because they say gore got away with a hold during the last drive. bottom line the niners were able to over come non calls and roman to get another heart stopping win. i wish they would make it easier on us
I am hoping that after the league sees how much cheating was allowed they tighten it up BIG TIME for the rematch in Seattle. If they don't let those DB's cheat like that, we win.

I love it when the refs let the players play but you have to call the blatant and obvious ones.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
had it been any other OC we would have run it three times and got 7 on the first drive.. ok i will meet you guys halfway and say had the flag been called the second time on the hold vs crabs we would have got it at the one and again the "OC other than roman" would have run it in for another 7, add on the 7 we got and we are up 21-0
  • dj43
I saw all four games this weekend and in each one it appeared the officials were "letting the guys plays" as opposed to trying to call every foul they saw.

In any game, but especially in playoffs, I want to see the players play. Too often this season the game has been taken over by tick-tacky calls that did not really impact the play. That is not what I want in the playoffs. I want the game to be decided by the players, not the zebras.

Of course there will be situations that we could fault. The final KC pass play in the Indy game is one example. The defensive back clearly had an arm bar on Dwayne Bowe and was using it to push Bowe to the sideline before the pass arrived. Had the arm not been there, Bowe clearly had enough room to get his right foot down in bounds (it was out by 8"), or had PI been called, the Chiefs would have been milking the clock for a last second field goal and a win. However, the officials hadn't been making that call all game long and to make it in that situation after having, in essence, told the defenders they could use an arm bar, would have been wrong.

Officiating is a tough gig, and even in the playoffs where the best of the best officials are working, there will be disagreements, but I like to "let the players play."
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
The people who are in favor of the non calls in yesterdays game will be screaming bloody murder if and when the 49er's play the Seahawks and watch the likes of Sherman maul the receivers. So ....no, I'm not in favor of it. They SHOULD call penalties as ruled.

When Rodgers escape after being trapped and the Packers lineman was physically choking the defensive player and no penalty was called, I began to wonder if mugging has become acceptable in the game.

OK. So to play the devil's advocate, I am tired of people complaining about how the Seattle secondary plays.

It is obvious the officials see no problem with how they play. If I am the 49ers defensive back coach, I am going to tell my players to play AGGRESSIVELY until/unless the officials begin to call fouls. To sit and play passively while the other team plays aggressively and then complain because you lose, is just bad coaching, IMO. Don't blame the refs. By not making calls against Seattle they are telling you it is OK to play that way…so play that way.

All a player can ask is for consistency.
[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

just loved it.
Share 49ersWebzone