LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

Analysis from the Arizona Cardinals game coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Great analysis as always johnnydel! With Rogers pretty much out for this game, who has the best chance on covering R.Cobb at the slot position? I would think it would be Brown and then E.Wright will be on the outside receivers. Not sure tho.. What you think?

I actually see Wright playing more as the Nickel. When Rogers went down, we went with Wright at the Nickel position. Brown's strength is his physicality and breaking speed. Brown does a good job of breaking on the ball and playing the ball in the air. He has better straight away speed than acceleration. He's also shown a little tightness in the hips and has a harder time make the quick changes of direction to stay on the receiver in and out of breaks. He's better suited for the outside - more like Chris Culliver.

Wright is a guy who's quicker than fast and will probably do a better job of being able to get in good leverage.

The slot corner is a tough position to play, not only because the receivers have so many route options, but also because, no matter the defense, you're basically playing man-man in the slot. I think Brown's a better zone play than a man-man kind of guy.
-Dansby played really well and it was quite obvious they he was not fooled by many of the run calls.
-Snyder was bad
-Kilgore was getting manhandled
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Hey Jonny, good news on your dad and I'm glad to hear it.

Any chance you can look specifically at the Oline and our pass protection struggles. It seems to me that both Carolina and Arizona got lots of pressure down the middle and that causes real trouble on passing plays. I can't tell if it's missed assignments or just guys getting beat. Specifically, Iupati and Goodwin are worrying me in pass protection, it seems so easy for opposing teams to get straight down the middle into Kap's face within a second or two.

I actually think we should now let Iupati walk and look to get a guard and centre that are good in both pass and run blocking, I think the line is too unbalanced towards running plays. The other option might be getting Iupati to lose a little weight and get a bit quicker on his feet as well as work his technique.
I loved the little Desean Jackson style play they put in for James, there needs to be more of those.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by Furlow:
My brain just grew.

I think that is called "a concussion."
Originally posted by GORO:
Really do not understand why Looney is not getting more reps than Snyder?

He's not active on game day. Coaches value Snyder's versatility (he can suck from any position on the line)
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Said it all game....Roman can only do so much, the players need to execute. If the play doesn't work it doesn't automatically mean the call was "stupid"

There has been a lot of drops and missed blocks on the line, that break our rhythm ...majority of the time that Rhythm break has been McDonald and Vernon
I dont disagree. I just think its become too common to blame Roman every time something doesn't work.

That's why I want him to stay forever
Thats what I've been saying. it's great to have a scape goat like Roman that takes the brunt of all the blame while actually doing a great job. It's a nice luxury to have a scape goat while your winning, it sucks to have one while your loosing.

Unfortunately the webzone is a pile on with the populist social setting and Roman is enemy number one.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Said it all game....Roman can only do so much, the players need to execute. If the play doesn't work it doesn't automatically mean the call was "stupid"

There has been a lot of drops and missed blocks on the line, that break our rhythm ...majority of the time that Rhythm break has been McDonald and Vernon
I dont disagree. I just think its become too common to blame Roman every time something doesn't work.

That's why I want him to stay forever
Thats what I've been saying. it's great to have a scape goat like Roman that takes the brunt of all the blame while actually doing a great job. It's a nice luxury to have a scape goat while your winning, it sucks to have one while your loosing.

Unfortunately the webzone is a pile on with the populist social setting and Roman is enemy number one.

Groupthink is the death of critical thinking. It's so much easier to blindly agree with what's being said, than to form an opinion with a strong enough argument to support it.
There seem to be many inadequacies which have resulted in uneven in-game performance throughout the course of the year. Everyone owns a piece of it, including the coaching staff. I would hope that no one is above reproach when it comes to analysis. I am really overjoyed we finished the season 12-4 with two last minute miracles to close out our season. I can't really ask for anything more from this team.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
There seem to be many inadequacies which have resulted in uneven in-game performance throughout the course of the year. Everyone owns a piece of it, including the coaching staff. I would hope that no one is above reproach when it comes to analysis. I am really overjoyed we finished the season 12-4 with two last minute miracles to close out our season. I can't really ask for anything more from this team.

We had a tough schedule and we generally played teams when they were getting their strongest (except jags). Atlanta almost pushed the panthers to the 6th seed and they were even more fired up playing us. Arizona was the hottest team in the league, thats what you want as a football team. You want to be playing teams at their best and you want to be playing the best teams, this is how you become the best. Bring on the Packers and their QB, bring on Carolina or Seattle, bring on the best cause we don't want any doubters out there.

By doubters, you mean analyzers?
Thanks again Jonnydel and glad to hear your dad is doing well! Really enjoy reading your analysis and other's (th) comments as well!
Originally posted by Buchy:
Hey Jonny, good news on your dad and I'm glad to hear it.

Any chance you can look specifically at the Oline and our pass protection struggles. It seems to me that both Carolina and Arizona got lots of pressure down the middle and that causes real trouble on passing plays. I can't tell if it's missed assignments or just guys getting beat. Specifically, Iupati and Goodwin are worrying me in pass protection, it seems so easy for opposing teams to get straight down the middle into Kap's face within a second or two.

I actually think we should now let Iupati walk and look to get a guard and centre that are good in both pass and run blocking, I think the line is too unbalanced towards running plays. The other option might be getting Iupati to lose a little weight and get a bit quicker on his feet as well as work his technique.
yeah, you're definitely not wrong on giving up a lot of pressure up the middle. Where we really struggle in pass pro is against the big, aggressive defensive tackles. Although, it wasn't all on Iupati. When Iupati gives up pressures it's more to a lapse in technique than his body size.

Here's a few of the pressures we gave up - these are just some examples we had quite a few in the game. Most were mental errors or technique errors.

Here we have Snyder in as a TE, we're going to max protect with the TE pass blocking. Arizona had shown a lot of 5-6 man pressures in the first drive of the game, so, we bring in Snyder to help protect - he's probably a better matchup on the edge in pass blocking than VD or VM

Notice Staley's good technique on the right. He keeps a good knee bend "squatting" into his set, he also keeps his shoulders square towards the opponent. On the other side, Snyder needs to have more knee bend and he doesn't keep his shoulders square.

Because of the poor technique he gets beat by a simple hand swat and speed rush. Staley didn't....

That's the shot just as CK threw the ball, I didn't go any further because it'll make you cringe seeing your QB get rocked like that. Snyder gave up that pressure/hit

Here Arizona has their DT lined up on Iupati's outside shade(they do this on almost every play. The lapse here is that Iupati thinks Gore is going to give help to his outside shoulder, so his first step is wrong.

Instead of stepping out like Boone did, he steps back with his outside foot, he's immediately given up leverage, space and an angle against the defender. He should know Gore is going to give help to his right so he can take an outward step.

You see Gore is stepping up into the inside hole to help but Iupati's already beat to the outside, CK hasn't even hit his last drop step yet.

Gore tries to help but it's too late. This wasn't as much Iupati not have the right body type, he's athletic enough to do these things, he just makes a mental error there I think.

Here Arizona shows a cover 0 look. They bring 7 guys up to the LOS to show pressure.

They end up coming with only 4 rushers on this play as they drop 3 of the guys who showed. This means the line has to rapidly adjust to what it see's and shift to the right where Ari is trying to overload.

You see how Iupati has to make it over to the backside DT to make the shift work and for us to be able to block everyone. The unfortunate thing is the all out blitz looked forced us to keep VD in pass pro, so we only have 3 receivers against 7 defenders out in the pattern.

Iupati does a nice job of sliding over, but Boone, like Iupati on the play before, takes a false step, instead of stepping up and out with his outside leg he steps back, giving up leverage.

You see how the defender has won, this is just as CK was setting up on his back foot. Because of the coverage on the backend on our 3 receivers, CK has to try and escape.

Ck does a good job of escaping and makes a 4 yard gain out of the play.

These kind of things happened throughout the game. It wasn't any 1 O-lineman. They all gave up something like this at some point. Arizona and Carolina have the fiercest fronts we've seen, against guys like that you have to play with perfect technique because these guys are so big and strong if you're off on your technique you're not going to be able to muscle them around regardless, one bad step and you're beat - as you've just seen.
This is spot on Jonny...haven't had time to review the game yet but IIRC, it appeared the Cards were stacking the boxes with numbers and moving guys all around to create confusion and exploiting gaps and keeping our OL on our heels/skates. Aside from the quick outs and WR screens, did you see anything we tried to do to attack the middle of the field or the areas vacated by the many blitzes (including those by the DB's)?
Jonnydel, thank you for this informative post. I enjoy reading your 49er all-22 analysis along with the other film study contributing members. (The first postgame analysis thread I discovered was the Tampa Bay game and I've been enjoying each subsequent thread.) I did want to ask you a complicated question. I listen to Greg Cosell of NFL films a lot on KNBR and I respect his knowledge very much. Over this entire season, I noticed that while he has consistently praised Colin as a quarterback prospect and thinks he'll be a high level QB, in nearly every radio interview after every game, he has implied and outright warned that Colin has made very little progress as a progression reader and passer. He says Colin is capable of making dynamic throws or runs at individual points in the game but has not mastered the subtle nuances of using the pocket and reading the field. In one interview, he agreed with the famous Trent Dilfer "remedial passer after first read is covered."

I have posted an example podcast from KNBR to illustrate my point (12-31-13 interview with Brian Murphy).
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=851&c=4801&f=2259653

I get a different feel from your analysis and I wanted to know your analysis of Cosell and Dilfer's analysis of Colin's present capabilities as a progression reader and Colin's progress in the nuances of being a high level pocket QB over the course of the 2013 season. If you agree with them, why? If you disagree with them, what are you seeing differently that they're not seeing?

To my eye, Colin appears to make reads, but it is not always consistent and he sometimes will drop his eyes to the pass rush quicker instead of shuffling, resetting, and trying to find a different read. However, it does not seem to be as bad as Cosell and Dilfer make it sound and it appears to me that Colin has improved in pocket usage, progression readings, and pass vs. scramble selection over the 6 game winning streak.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Share 49ersWebzone