There are 202 users in the forums

Analysis from the Arizona Cardinals game coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Nice summary jonnydel. Glad to hear about your pops.

I re-watched the game as well and I did not notice the rotation of the front 4(7), glad you picked up on that. I thought Brock had a tough game as they were picking on him quite often. He gave up a big 44 yard catch to Floyd in the 3rd quarter and I think it really messed him up for the rest of the game as he was cautious not to get beat deep again. i agree Rogers played fine and is a big loss versus GB (Randall Cobb). Many times when he was in the slot, it was against Fitz and that is a nightmare matchup for many CBs. Fitz used his big frame to basically initiate contact then push off. On the big 49 yard gain, Fitz put on a double move (post-corner) and Palmer dropped in a dime just as Aldon made contact. Just have to tip your hat to that as it happened 2-3 times. Once a few big gains were had by ARI, they started working the underneath as the 49ers were scared to give up the big play, while protecting their lead.

Lining up a TE on Aldon's side seems to be the norm now to widen his rush and help the LT. I think this is why Fangio will sometimes line Aldon up over RT, although I did not notice it much in this game (may have missed it). The 49ers did come with blitzes, mainly on 3rd downs. I thought Palmer made some very nice throws, on rhythm and sometimes getting rocked just as he released the ball. He stood tall and delivered after a horrible INT to Bowman in the 1st quarter. Most of ARI's chunk plays passing wise came on plays over the middle as Brock (a few times) and the ILBs were victimized.

Regarding the offensive passing game, ARI went predominantly man coverage and the 49ers opened the game taking full advantage. Quick hitch throws when there was a cushion, back shoulder throws when it was press coverage. The whole first drive was like this. Then ARI began to mix their pre-snap look (press versus cushion) on the subsequent drives. I can count on one hand how many times ARI went zone coverage underneath. ARI going majority man coverage is what allowed the Staley catch. Since no one expects for Staley to go out for a route, no one was assigned to him. Had it been zone coverage, I highly doubt Staley would find the soft spot in the zone. I thought ARI did a good job sorting out their man coverage assignments when the 49ers used bunch formations and rub routes. ARI rarely followed the 49er they lined up across from when the 49ers criss crossed. ARI would instead switch assignments to nullify the mesh (rub) concept.

Many, including myself, were very frustrated by the 3rd and short failed conversions, but lining up in jumbo did help sell the play action on the TD pass to VD. Teams know the 49ers are willing to run into a brick wall and ARI bit on the play fake leaving VD wide open. I think I would rather have had the 49ers in a 3rd and 3 situation than a 3rd and 1 in this game. Perhaps then they would have passed the ball instead of testing the strong DL of ARI. 49ers just played to their strength (OL run blocking straight ahead) and they were not up to the task going back to what you mentioned about the ARI DL coming to play.

Love all the points you make and agree whole heartedly!

Arizona did make some outstanding plays in the game. I did notice that after the first couple drives we had on them and scored, they started incorporating some more zone blitzes as well. They blitzed a lot in the game, I think their strategy was, instead of using a spy on CK, blitz the spy and try and penetrate the pocket.
Patton was wide open too. He will earn plenty of reps when the coaches see effort like this.
Originally posted by kronik:
jonnydel, can u analyze what happened on that play where Snyder gave up a long sack. Why was he in the game?

Snyder was actually in as a 2nd TE, it was a form of a "jumbo" package, he was the "U" back. We were trying to take a shot down the field. It was a play action fake on a 7 step drop depth. We had a "max" protect off the run action to get Crabtree on a double move down the seam but ARI covered it well(you would think with how aggressive they were against the run and and being shown a heavy formation they would bite on the run fake. We had 3 receivers go out, but, 1 was a delayed release after a chip, and the other was Boldin coming all the way across the field on a DIG(deep in) route. Boldin may have been open, but Snyder letting his man through blew up the play.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
jonnydel, can u analyze what happened on that play where Snyder gave up a long sack. Why was he in the game?

Snyder was actually in as a 2nd TE, it was a form of a "jumbo" package, he was the "U" back. We were trying to take a shot down the field. It was a play action fake on a 7 step drop depth. We had a "max" protect off the run action to get Crabtree on a double move down the seam but ARI covered it well(you would think with how aggressive they were against the run and and being shown a heavy formation they would bite on the run fake. We had 3 receivers go out, but, 1 was a delayed release after a chip, and the other was Boldin coming all the way across the field on a DIG(deep in) route. Boldin may have been open, but Snyder letting his man through blew up the play.

Here's a breakdown of the play, excuse me, Snyder was the 1st TE and Kilgore was the "U" back...

We show the jumbo package and are going to try and hit Crabtree on a double move on Peterson

I think they're trying to get the safety to jump on Boldin's DIG with the double move Crabs is giving is first going on a mid out. But, the safety plays disciplined doesn't bit on either the run fake or the DIG.

You see Boldin was open, but CK is getting sacked before he can get the ball to him.

We're going to give a hard "96" power fake to try and open up the deep pass. All the O-lineman will "z" down and Iupati will pull to kick out the DE.

You see the line shift down and Iupati coming around to kick out the DE. Snyder, really, doesn't have to block anyone, the scheme has worked well, he just needs to keep his alert and his head on a swivel. #92 Williams ends up stunting around and Snyder, too busy looking in, see's his stunt late.

You see how CK has moved to his 2nd read(Boldin), but, he can't step into the throw because of the massive 320 pnd lineman coming right at him, he tries to get away but gets sacked. This is really inexcusable by Snyder. He wasn't the only one of the O-lineman to get beat like this in the game. Everyone on the O-line got beat like this at some point in the game. What I mean by us not coming to play.

Here's a breakdown of the play, excuse me, Snyder was the 1st TE and Kilgore was the "U" back...

We show the jumbo package and are going to try and hit Crabtree on a double move on Peterson

I think they're trying to get the safety to jump on Boldin's DIG with the double move Crabs is giving is first going on a mid out. But, the safety plays disciplined doesn't bit on either the run fake or the DIG.

You see Boldin was open, but CK is getting sacked before he can get the ball to him.

We're going to give a hard "96" power fake to try and open up the deep pass. All the O-lineman will "z" down and Iupati will pull to kick out the DE.

You see the line shift down and Iupati coming around to kick out the DE. Snyder, really, doesn't have to block anyone, the scheme has worked well, he just needs to keep his alert and his head on a swivel. #92 Williams ends up stunting around and Snyder, too busy looking in, see's his stunt late.

You see how CK has moved to his 2nd read(Boldin), but, he can't step into the throw because of the massive 320 pnd lineman coming right at him, he tries to get away but gets sacked. This is really inexcusable by Snyder. He wasn't the only one of the O-lineman to get beat like this in the game. Everyone on the O-line got beat like this at some point in the game. What I mean by us not coming to play.

Much appreciated. Wonderful insight. Thank you. Snyder truly is a drive killer. I wince when I see him in the game.
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM ]
think your dead on with us bringing our A game to the packers... we should get win that game hands down..
  • GORO
  • Veteran

Really do not understand why Looney is not getting more reps than Snyder?
Thanks and all the best to you & your family.

This really clears up a lot of questions.
Please keep up the fine work.
Great analysis as always johnnydel! With Rogers pretty much out for this game, who has the best chance on covering R.Cobb at the slot position? I would think it would be Brown and then E.Wright will be on the outside receivers. Not sure tho.. What you think?
thanks for the good read and glad your dad is doing better.

Originally posted by Furlow:
My brain just grew.

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Patton was wide open too. He will earn plenty of reps when the coaches see effort like this.

Patton and Crabtree were open alot. They both were getting separation but the OL was getting raped regularly, it was pretty bad, I remember being frustrated at how quickly the Cardinals were busting through the line. Overall Kaepernick did well enough, he did miss some wide open receivers though but it was progress, the upside is that this game was good practice for Seattle and Carolina.
  • thl408
On the 49er drive right before the 1st half ended, the 49ers preyed on ARI's predictability when it came to man coverage on the outside. When a defense repeatedly comes with the same coverage, offenses should take advantage.

Below: Mesh concept mirrored on each side of the formation. This should work versus man coverage.

Below: Crabs knows that with the LB in that area, the slant is a no go. So he 'gives up' on his route. However, Crabs will continue to work.

Below: He knows Petersen will follow him, but he also knows he has Dixon going to the flat and the flat defender is that LB. So Crabs works to become and obstacle for that LB, preventing the LB to defend the flat (Dixon).

The play: Very heads up by Crabs. What he did was very deliberate because he identified who the flat defender was and worked to shield that defender off from the play, freeing up Dixon for a 19 yard catch and run.

The very next play, the 49ers again use ARI's predictability to scheme a "WR" open.
Below: This is the Staley catch. Since everyone is manned up, this will be a simple decoy clearing route (VD) to allow Staley room to work his route (lol).

Below: Because the 49ers knew it would be man coverage, they know VD will be able to clear the area. No one is going to think about covering a LT.

The play: This is sort of slap in the face to ARI. "We know what you're doing and we will shove it in your face with a throw to the LT".

The drive ends on a bad note as the 49ers fail to score a TD, and eventually miss the FG. Here is what I thought was the 49ers best chance to score in the goal to go situation.
Below: 49ers will roll Kap out to the right and have Crabs on a out breaking route. This will require an anticipation throw just as Crabs breaks on his route.

Below: One, or both, of Dixon and ADavis has whiffed on their block. This causes Kap to get pressured.

Below: Crabs exits his break on the out route, but Kap is in no position to throw with pressure in his face.

The play: Kap has to throw the ball away. After the play, Crabs jumps around in frustration. I hope it was properly directed at Dixon/ADavis.
On the 49er drive right before the 1st half ended, the 49ers preyed on ARI's predictability when it came to man coverage on the outside. When a defense repeatedly comes with the same coverage, offenses should take advantage.

Below: Mesh concept mirrored on each side of the formation. This should work versus man coverage.

Below: Crabs knows that with the LB in that area, the slant is a no go. So he 'gives up' on his route. However, Crabs will continue to work.

Below: He knows Petersen will follow him, but he also knows he has Dixon going to the flat and the flat defender is that LB. So Crabs works to become and obstacle for that LB, preventing the LB to defend the flat (Dixon).

The play: Very heads up by Crabs. What he did was very deliberate because he identified who the flat defender was and worked to shield that defender off from the play, freeing up Dixon for a 19 yard catch and run.

The very next play, the 49ers again use ARI's predictability to scheme a "WR" open.
Below: This is the Staley catch. Since everyone is manned up, this will be a simple decoy clearing route (VD) to allow Staley room to work his route (lol).

Below: Because the 49ers knew it would be man coverage, they know VD will be able to clear the area. No one is going to think about covering a LT.

The play: This is sort of slap in the face to ARI. "We know what you're doing and we will shove it in your face with a throw to the LT".

The drive ends on a bad note as the 49ers fail to score a TD, and eventually miss the FG. Here is what I thought was the 49ers best chance to score in the goal to go situation.
Below: 49ers will roll Kap out to the right and have Crabs on a out breaking route. This will require an anticipation throw just as Crabs breaks on his route.

Below: One, or both, of Dixon and ADavis has whiffed on their block. This causes Kap to get pressured.

Below: Crabs exits his break on the out route, but Kap is in no position to throw with pressure in his face.

The play: Kap has to throw the ball away. After the play, Crabs jumps around in frustration. I hope it was properly directed at Dixon/ADavis.

remains true.
give him time.
i don't think people appreciate just how many sacks ck saves the offensive line from during the course of a game

Nice post. It looks like Anthony Davis screwed up and let his man go right by without touching him. That pressure caused the quick throw away unfortunately. OL did play awful. Earlier in the season, we would lose these types of games. With Crab back and Kaep progressing, we are winning these games now. Pretty impressive to overcome an off game by the OL.
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone