Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Kap: I love the guy, but sometimes he's maddening. LOL. There were times yesterday that he looked fantastic. There were others where I was wondering what the hell he was looking at. Two wide open receivers and he forces the ball into a covered Boldin. He is steadily getting better though and that's really all we can ask for.
While I was frustrated at times, he did have the second best statistical day of the season. He did drive them down the field TWICE at the end of the game to kick a possible game winner. While many still love to be critical of him, his QB ratings over the last 6 games have been 134.6, 111.5, 67.5, 108.8, 108.6, and 111.2. In that span, he's thrown 10 TDs and 1 INT. Its not like its been against bad defenses either. Seahawks (tho that was the 67.5 rating), Cards, Rams, and Bucs are all some of the better defenses in the NFL.
In fact...Kap throwing the ball wasn't really my frustration at all in watching this game.
2) Roman: I've defended Roman quite a bit this year. He actually did make some really good calls yesterday particularly early in the game....but there were times that I wanted to throw something at the TV. What the hell is going through his head on 3rd and 1? Best Run D in the NFL is stuffing you over and over and you run WIDE with your biggest, slowest RB? I understand sticking with the running game because you might pop one late and you need to force them to respect it for play action to work, but over and over on 3rd and 1? They would pass the ball to great success and then just kill drives by running it on back to back downs.
3) Boldin: Please resign this guy. Stat. Ozzie Newsome? You are a moron. A big reason why the 49ers are playing in January and the Ravens are not is that trade. Anquan eclipsed his best season in Baltimore by 258 yards. In fact, to find a season comparable in his career you have to go all the way back to 2006, his 4th year in the league. The guy still has a lot in the tank. Bring him back.
4) Patton: REALLY nice to see someone other than Boldin, Vernon, or Crab contribute. Seems kinda tentative out there to me, but that's to be expected. He delivered when it counted and he made a huge block on the long Boldin reception. Way to go kid.
5) Pass Rush: Dunno what's happened over the last few weeks, but its slowed to a crawl. Guys are healthy so I'm pretty sure it will return...just not sure what the issue is. I can say that any attack on Aldon is unfounded as I watched him in particular and while he did seem to tire, he was also double and triple teamed most of the time. He still got some hits on the QB despite all the attention.
6) Pass D: Honestly, I think at some point in games, the pass D just kinda shuts down. They get a big lead and they think they have it won and just kinda shut down. Then, once the team starts making a run, they have trouble starting it back up again. I'd expect Rodgers to put up his numbers as he always does, but the 49ers have been able to pull off wins despite Rodgers being Rodgers. Stopping the Run is my concern.
7) Bowman: What more can I say? Damn glad to have him.
8) Crab: I like Crab a lot and I want him to resign...but I really need him to stop with all of the frustrated gestures when he doesn't get the ball. I'm not saying he shouldn't be frustrated. I just think it doesn't help anyone for him to constantly throw his arms in the air and pout every time he thinks he's open. It's getting kinda old.
9) NFC West: 42-22. Wow. NFC West ain't no joke. The 4 teams in the NFC West AVERAGED 10.5 wins. Crazy.
10) Here we are again: Sigh. Green Bay. Again. I know we've beaten Aaron Rodgers 3 times in a row now, but at some point this guy is going to put the S on his chest and beat us. I just hope it won't be this week. Green Bay is the team I least wanted to face in the Wild Card Round. At least we won't see Clay Matthews.
1. He will make some nice reads and some nice throws and then lock on and throw into coverage a play later. The kid strikes me as an over-thinker sometimes.
2. I have complained about this guy's play calling so much I'm getting sick of it. I hope he gets a HC offer somewhere and leaves. With that I said something nice about him. With that in mind there is a quote I'd like to state. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Whether its short yardage of 2nd and long he consistently makes the wrong/bad call. I just don't get his train of thought. Yes, he has some nice gimmick plays and his blocking schemes are quality but I just don't get his mental block when it comes to trying something different as compared to what he has that didn't work already.
3. Y-E-S! DO IT!
4. Quinton Patton...I'm falling in love. In a manly way.
5. I think the pass rush issue is a matter of Fangio dialing it back. You see this dialing back on both side of the ball quite regularly. Is it that or a failure to adjust?
6. I think this is a matter of scheme as well. I saw the pass defense go conservative which in the NFL means you start to give up chunks and end of giving up real nice statistical days. In their defense the two teams they gave these yards up to have passing offenses with good players who can have nice days very quickly.
7. Is he better than Willis? One could debate this for hours. they perform similar but different functions and I would say their is a strong argument that they are the best ILB tandem....as Clay Matthews would say, "like ever...of all time".
8. For Crabs this is an area where he should act more like Quan and less like Randy.
9. The NFC West: from laughing stock to Holy $hit I'm glad we play them every four years.They became what the NFC North used to be. Tough grinders with brutal defenses.
10. I can understand why you feel this way about Green Bay and I agree that facing them is getting real old. To me this Green bay team is that scary character that just won't die. Well, the movie is about to end. I see Green Bay and hear about them alot since most of my family and friends are Wisconsinites and even they have finally admitted that their defense is very, very bad. No pass rush, bad backers and a secondary that would make Ray Charles flinch. They get gashed by the run and leak like a broken faucet. They can have Super Rodgers all they want but defense wins in the playoffs. Always has been that way and this is no exception. If we play our game (even with the sputters on O) we win this game. The weather is what it is. Both team deal with it. The Packer players are from different parts of the country too and will be leaving next week for warmer climates as well. The "tundra" doesn't really freeze because it has miles of pipe and millions of gallons of water running underneath it to keep in that way. So just show up and play like we have the past couple weeks. Veni, Vidi, Vici!