There are 234 users in the forums

2013 - Week 17: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Kap: I love the guy, but sometimes he's maddening. LOL. There were times yesterday that he looked fantastic. There were others where I was wondering what the hell he was looking at. Two wide open receivers and he forces the ball into a covered Boldin. He is steadily getting better though and that's really all we can ask for.

While I was frustrated at times, he did have the second best statistical day of the season. He did drive them down the field TWICE at the end of the game to kick a possible game winner. While many still love to be critical of him, his QB ratings over the last 6 games have been 134.6, 111.5, 67.5, 108.8, 108.6, and 111.2. In that span, he's thrown 10 TDs and 1 INT. Its not like its been against bad defenses either. Seahawks (tho that was the 67.5 rating), Cards, Rams, and Bucs are all some of the better defenses in the NFL.

In fact...Kap throwing the ball wasn't really my frustration at all in watching this game.

2) Roman: I've defended Roman quite a bit this year. He actually did make some really good calls yesterday particularly early in the game....but there were times that I wanted to throw something at the TV. What the hell is going through his head on 3rd and 1? Best Run D in the NFL is stuffing you over and over and you run WIDE with your biggest, slowest RB? I understand sticking with the running game because you might pop one late and you need to force them to respect it for play action to work, but over and over on 3rd and 1? They would pass the ball to great success and then just kill drives by running it on back to back downs.

3) Boldin: Please resign this guy. Stat. Ozzie Newsome? You are a moron. A big reason why the 49ers are playing in January and the Ravens are not is that trade. Anquan eclipsed his best season in Baltimore by 258 yards. In fact, to find a season comparable in his career you have to go all the way back to 2006, his 4th year in the league. The guy still has a lot in the tank. Bring him back.

4) Patton: REALLY nice to see someone other than Boldin, Vernon, or Crab contribute. Seems kinda tentative out there to me, but that's to be expected. He delivered when it counted and he made a huge block on the long Boldin reception. Way to go kid.

5) Pass Rush: Dunno what's happened over the last few weeks, but its slowed to a crawl. Guys are healthy so I'm pretty sure it will return...just not sure what the issue is. I can say that any attack on Aldon is unfounded as I watched him in particular and while he did seem to tire, he was also double and triple teamed most of the time. He still got some hits on the QB despite all the attention.

6) Pass D: Honestly, I think at some point in games, the pass D just kinda shuts down. They get a big lead and they think they have it won and just kinda shut down. Then, once the team starts making a run, they have trouble starting it back up again. I'd expect Rodgers to put up his numbers as he always does, but the 49ers have been able to pull off wins despite Rodgers being Rodgers. Stopping the Run is my concern.

7) Bowman: What more can I say? Damn glad to have him.

8) Crab: I like Crab a lot and I want him to resign...but I really need him to stop with all of the frustrated gestures when he doesn't get the ball. I'm not saying he shouldn't be frustrated. I just think it doesn't help anyone for him to constantly throw his arms in the air and pout every time he thinks he's open. It's getting kinda old.

9) NFC West: 42-22. Wow. NFC West ain't no joke. The 4 teams in the NFC West AVERAGED 10.5 wins. Crazy.

10) Here we are again: Sigh. Green Bay. Again. I know we've beaten Aaron Rodgers 3 times in a row now, but at some point this guy is going to put the S on his chest and beat us. I just hope it won't be this week. Green Bay is the team I least wanted to face in the Wild Card Round. At least we won't see Clay Matthews.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM ]
I don't know what to think about our 3rd and short game... either the Cardinals are one of the best running defenses we've faced in recent history or we took a step back. Kaep played pretty well again, but still has areas for improvement.

At this point, we will either win the 'ship or not with Kaep as his is now. He'll miss some reads and make some great throws and runs. Maybe during the offseason (with another OC), he can get further thru his progressions.
Nice write up Marvin. I'd have to say I agree with virtually all of that. It is a little maddening to see Kap miss some easy throws, but I guess it is part of the maturity process. We've all seen that he can do it all, now he just needs to start putting it all together for a full 60 minutes. I really did like to see him throwing balls to "covered" receivers and letting them make a play. Almost every above average QB does it and it is something the Niners don't do a whole lot of. A QB needs to have a lot of trust in his receiver to make that throw as well.

I'm fully with you on the Boldin acquisition. It is very likely the best move of the offseason of any team. I also think the Dorsey acquisition was another hugely underrated move. He's been a great fit for this team and has filled in nicely at nose tackle, a spot that otherwise could have been a huge weakness.

Last think I'd like to mention is on point 9. How ridiculous is the NFC West? Things change so quickly in the NFL. I think the Niners have the talent and depth to stay competitive for quite a while. Here is to keeping that up!
The 3rd/4th & short run failures is more a failure of knowing how to exploit an opponent than anything else. Against Green Bay half of those plays probably net first downs because GB's run defense isn't one of the best in the league. The Cards are amazing at run defense, and you keep challenging them there instead of where they are weaker (through the air)? Terrible situational play calling.
Can't hate on the playcalling too much... the Cards have an amazing D. The entire NFC West does actually. Kinda scary to think that, had the Cards won, 11-5 wouldn't have made the playoffs. We really need to have a strong draft this offseason and maybe a nice trade or two (Josh Gordon preferred).
Originally posted by captveg:
The 3rd/4th & short run failures is more a failure of knowing how to exploit an opponent than anything else. Against Green Bay half of those plays probably net first downs because GB's run defense isn't one of the best in the league. The Cards are amazing at run defense, and you keep challenging them there instead of where they are weaker (through the air)? Terrible situational play calling.

I am getting really tired of reading this over and over again.

If we would have went to the air and not gotten it everyone here would be saying "Why the hell would Roman go to the air. We are one of the worst passing teams in the league. We are a power running team we need to run the ball on these short yardage situations."

I get it you all hate Roman and which every way he decides to go you are against it. Lets all get over it and move on.

Personally I would have rather us ran the ball because that is what we do, and do well. Doing it did not work out this time, so be it.

Time to get in the playoffs and do what we do. Run the ball down peoples throat and open up the passing game for some big plays while controlling the ball and playing great D.

Go niners.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Correct me if I am wrong but have they ever run a QB sneak with Kaep?
I'm so pissed that the NFC north couldn't seal the division with Rogers out. This was their best shot and now we ahve to travel to a 8 win team's house. How pathetic.

I'm glad Jim Shortz got fire at least.
8) Crab: I like Crab a lot and I want him to resign...but I really need him to stop with all of the frustrated gestures when he doesn't get the ball. I'm not saying he shouldn't be frustrated. I just think it doesn't help anyone for him to constantly throw his arms in the air and pout every time he thinks he's open. It's getting kinda old.

Whats getting kinda old is seeing him and Vernon streaking across the open field without a snowballs chance in hell of getting the ball
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Correct me if I am wrong but have they ever run a QB sneak with Kaep?

This! Almost all of these are really 3rd and 4th and INCHES! Why these LONG SLOW DEVELOPING running plays that give the defense plenty of time to shed blockers and knife in through gaps for a standrad 4 yard loss is perplexing.

Every WR throws their hands up when they think they should have gotten the ball lol
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Nice write up Marvin. I'd have to say I agree with virtually all of that. It is a little maddening to see Kap miss some easy throws, but I guess it is part of the maturity process. We've all seen that he can do it all, now he just needs to start putting it all together for a full 60 minutes. I really did like to see him throwing balls to "covered" receivers and letting them make a play. Almost every above average QB does it and it is something the Niners don't do a whole lot of. A QB needs to have a lot of trust in his receiver to make that throw as well.

I'm fully with you on the Boldin acquisition. It is very likely the best move of the offseason of any team. I also think the Dorsey acquisition was another hugely underrated move. He's been a great fit for this team and has filled in nicely at nose tackle, a spot that otherwise could have been a huge weakness.

Last think I'd like to mention is on point 9. How ridiculous is the NFC West? Things change so quickly in the NFL. I think the Niners have the talent and depth to stay competitive for quite a while. Here is to keeping that up!

Alex Smith > Boldin IMO.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Every WR throws their hands up when they think they should have gotten the ball lol

Yeah, but not like Crab has been doing lately. I get his frustration...I see him open on some of those plays. He just needs to chill a bit.
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:

Alex Smith > Boldin IMO.

Debatable.

Can you imagine the Niners passing game WITHOUT Boldin this year? Yikes. You also have to look at what was given up. The Chiefs gave up 2 second round picks. Niners gave up a single 6.
Pass rush and pass d gotta come around ASAP. They go hand and hand. And both units seem to be struggling right now.. Need to be much more aggressive. Defense seems overly passive.

Hopefully they use Patton more to stretch the defense. Put him in the slot and let him go deep donw the middle of the field. Give the opposing safeties something else to be concerned about.

I do have to give Roman some credit. Seems as if he's installed some quick passes when CK and the WR notice off coverage.

I think Crabs is adjusting to not being the main man anymore. But he does need to cut the antics or keep them on the sideline. Dam near cost them big time vs TB. Nothing worng with bieng frustrated though so I don't think it's a major deal.
Share 49ersWebzone