There are 229 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Originally posted by ninerjok:
Yes, the Lions also. Their offensive talent is too good to suck that much. Consider Wash. another suitor and BTW Texans are eliminated from HC search. O'Brien from Penn St.

Lions would be perfect for him. Plenty of run packages that can be designed for Bush and Bell, plus there's no need to look at throwing the ball to anyone else besides Megatron.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,530
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Yes, the Lions also. Their offensive talent is too good to suck that much. Consider Wash. another suitor and BTW Texans are eliminated from HC search. O'Brien from Penn St.

Lions would be perfect for him. Plenty of run packages that can be designed for Bush and Bell, plus there's no need to look at throwing the ball to anyone else besides Megatron.

It is still early, but it seems that Greg Roman's name is not coming up much in the reports that are out there.
ESPN reported this morning that Greg Roman would be a good fit in Detroit. But heard it once only.
Football Scoop:

South Florida: Sources tell us Willie Taggart
is in advanced discussions with 49ers
senior offensive assistant (and former
Washington State head coach) Paul Wulff to
join his staff as offensive coordinator.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,310
Louisville job expected to open up with Strong going to Texas. Maybe an opportunity for Roman to go to the college ranks?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Without Rodgers, we'd all still be laughing. I've never bought into the hype about him being some master coaching guru. He's certainly a good coach, but having the top QB in the NFL doesn't hurt at all.


I somewhat disagree-AR would have done better than AS here in SF, but he would not be what he is with Nolan. You need a coach that will make the most of his talents and MM has done that. He also did the right thing in letting AR develope, then when the time was right, cutting loose BF and moving on. It was not a popular move at first, but GB fans are happy now I bet.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Without Rodgers, we'd all still be laughing. I've never bought into the hype about him being some master coaching guru. He's certainly a good coach, but having the top QB in the NFL doesn't hurt at all.


I somewhat disagree-AR would have done better than AS here in SF, but he would not be what he is with Nolan. You need a coach that will make the most of his talents and MM has done that. He also did the right thing in letting AR develope, then when the time was right, cutting loose BF and moving on. It was not a popular move at first, but GB fans are happy now I bet.

Wasn't Mike McCarthy on board for taking Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers?
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,530
Unless something drastic happens internally, I think both Roman and Fangio will be back next year.

By the way, I think Fangio rotated players more this year than he did in the previous two years.
I also think that he ran more blitzes.
The niners make it to the Super Bowl and win...only a few openings will be left unfilled...and usually on bad teams. If the niners lose this weekend, Roman may be attractive to some. I just don't see his personality and bearing as HC quality. That may sound unfair but he just doesn't seem to be a guy who would inspire a team. On the other hand, he seems like an ideal type for long term assistant...very stable and loyal.

Fangio has had chances and I really don't know that he wants to be the head guy again. He has a nice, quiet spot with the niners, who will give him a couple more pieces this coming draft. hard to give up a successful spot! Would you want to go somewhere like Detroit or Miami over SF?
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,996
For those that Roman gone, it comes down to availability. The longer the 49ers are in the playoffs, no interviews. I've read that a lot of teams are high on Greg, but his lack of head coaching experience is a negative.
Tomsula is safe for now as O'Brien as opt for Crennel to be his DC.
Originally posted by buck:
Unless something drastic happens internally, I think both Roman and Fangio will be back next year.

By the way, I think Fangio rotated players more this year than he did in the previous two years.
I also think that he ran more blitzes.


Yes he did. He read this blog over the summer.
Originally posted by longg67:
I've never been super impressed with the job John Morton has done with the wideouts. Wouldn't mind seeing him leave. George Stewart is now available after the purge in Minnesota.

WR Coach Larry Kirksey is also available now off the Texan staff
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
ESPN reported this morning that Greg Roman would be a good fit in Detroit. But heard it once only.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10246337/ken-whisenhunt-san-diego-chargers-offensive-coordinator-top-candidate-detroit-lions-head-coaching-position

pasodoc - I with this wasn't true ....
Missing the playoffs and a loss in the divisional round opens those teams up to getting the cupboard raided by the teams needing coaches. This is one of the reason the niners always had their coaches raided during the dark days and why we have been barely touched since Harbaugh started taking us to the NFC Championship games.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Jan 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM ]