There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

If Ed Donatell does get a defensive coordinator job, the 49ers should look at bringing Leslie Frazier to coach our DBs.
FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop7m
At USC, sources tell us 49ers offensive line coach Tim Drevno will be the new OL coach at USC following 49ers season http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop ;
Greg Roman is an awesome OC but I just can't see him as a head coach. He doesn't seem to have that type of personality. I'm sure Roman will get some attention, maybe interview. But I just don't think he will get a HC job. One reason is 49ers coordinator is his first NFL coordinator job and has never proven he can get it done without Harbaugh. If I was an owner I would think Roman needs more seasoning before being a HC.

On the other hand Vic Fangio I see as likely gone to be a HC. He has tons of experience and been the DC for several NFL teams. I think Fangio is prime to become a HC.
This year doesnt seem a like a year coordinators without prior HC experience will get their chance.

all openings are in win now mode with exception to Cleavland and yet thry probably consider it a team ready to take a step into contention opposed to rebuild mode.

Lions - playoff potential roster cant afford to Expirament on a coordinator

Vikes- QB away

Bucs- QB away

Wash- Need Oc minded Coach and solid DC ala wade phillips.

Browns- need a lot. Dont think they would hire a coordinator after previous 2 hires were inexperienced at the HC levels.
It's all about experience, availability and numbers. There are six vacancies as we know of today and who knows how many more are going to be fired in the next couple of months.

Most of those teams looking for a new HC will first be looking at current NFL coaches who have experience with the NFL ... before ... moving on to the college ranks. It just makes sense. And I'm willing to bet that Mike Shanahan gets a job right away. He's a proven winner although he faltered with the Redskins organization.

After him, it's a toss up as to who gets hired next because what's left either have attitude problems i.e. Swartz, Shiano. and the rest are just not very good.

I'm also willing to bet that assistant coaches from the teams in the playoffs will get a good look, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them goes on to become HC's, and that includes Roman.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Greg Roman is an awesome OC but I just can't see him as a head coach. He doesn't seem to have that type of personality. I'm sure Roman will get some attention, maybe interview. But I just don't think he will get a HC job. One reason is 49ers coordinator is his first NFL coordinator job and has never proven he can get it done without Harbaugh. If I was an owner I would think Roman needs more seasoning before being a HC.

On the other hand Vic Fangio I see as likely gone to be a HC. He has tons of experience and been the DC for several NFL teams. I think Fangio is prime to become a HC.

What makes you think Fangio is "prime" to be a HC?

I think Tomsula is more likely to be given a head coaching opportunity than Fangio. Fangio is far too withdrawn, reclusive. This also isn't his first go-around in the NFL, he's never drawn serious interest at any point. He's been a defensive coordinator for 10+ years, has coached in the NFL for over 20 years. He's done a damn good job for much of that time, yet, no real interest in him being a head coach. He'd be the last guy I'd expect to catch head coaching interest. Jim Johnson was a phenomenal defensive coordinator but never really drew much interest, I think the 49ers showed some interest in him and Kiffin before they hired Erickson but they were in a nightmare scenario. Those are the only types of teams I'd expect to show Fangio attention, teams stuck at the bottom of the barrel, desperate for anyone basically. Guys like Kiffin, Jim Johnson, Fritz Shurmur, never became head coaches in the NFL and did fine as long term defensive coordinators. I'd say Fangio fits into that mold, he's a smart defensive coordinator but not the kind of guy you expect to lead a team and handle all the additional BS that goes along with being a head coach.

The whole experience excuse also doesn't hold water, not when guys like Adam Gase(is he old enough to drink yet?) are getting attention as head coaching candidates and when Dennis Allen was hired by the Raiders to be a HC after a short stint as DC. Teams seem to be focusing on bringing offensive-minded coaches in, Roman fits that mold perfectly.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
This year doesnt seem a like a year coordinators without prior HC experience will get their chance.

all openings are in win now mode with exception to Cleavland and yet thry probably consider it a team ready to take a step into contention opposed to rebuild mode.

Lions - playoff potential roster cant afford to Expirament on a coordinator

Vikes- QB away

Bucs- QB away

Wash- Need Oc minded Coach and solid DC ala wade phillips.

Browns- need a lot. Dont think they would hire a coordinator after previous 2 hires were inexperienced at the HC levels.

I disagree. With the possible exception of Tampa Bay, who Lovie Smith is being linked to, I think some of these teams are going to be willing to give a promising first-timer a shot over a retread. There's a lot of outstanding coordinators who deserve the opportunity to be head coaches and have some nice resume's to back them up. Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Bill O'Brien(kind of meh on him but whatever). If I'm a team with a young QB, I look at what a guy like Gruden has done in Cincy, might even look at how Roman fared with Alex Smith early on, and then I take a look at what first time head coaches such as Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Mike McCoy, Ron Rivera...etc have been able to accomplish.

I think Tampa is the most likely to go the retread route and if its Lovie Smith, that makes a hell of a lot of sense for them. Beyond that, there's a lot of first-timers that should get interest. Zimmer right now is one of my favorites, he has done a stellar job as DC of the Bengals and from everything I've seen is a very warm, soft-spoken guy with an easy-going demeanor.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Vic don't play that shiznit... other teams can't afford to feed Roman.

So, no, they both stick.
Originally posted by LVJay:

So, no, they both stick.

Pretty sure the Vikings owner has a bunch of shopping malls, that's a lot of Sbarro he can work out some sort of discount for.
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Roman needs a run game with adequate linemen...I don't see an opening that fits

Minnesota

Roman in Minnesota with Manziel at QB would be a perfect fit. That team is just a new offense and QB away from being the 2011 49ers or 2013 Chiefs. Maybe even better due to AP being a freak of nature. DT Floyd and WR/KR/PR Patterson are beasts too.

I could see the Vikings going for a defensive minded HC. They were actually pretty decent on offense this year and terrible on defense. Offense was #13 in YPG and #14 in PPG, defense was #31 in YPG and #32 in PPG. Defense was pretty banged up throughout the year, but who knows maybe they'll give Mike Nolan another shot.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Has any team asked to interview one of our coaches?

As far as I can tell, there aren't even any rumors about teams asking to interview Roman or Fangio.

I am going to wait and see what happens.
Originally posted by crabman82:
FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop7m
At USC, sources tell us 49ers offensive line coach Tim Drevno will be the new OL coach at USC following 49ers season http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop ;

Adios amigo
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LVJay:

So, no, they both stick.

Pretty sure the Vikings owner has a bunch of shopping malls, that's a lot of Sbarro he can work out some sort of discount for.

The Yorks spoil him with all the snacks he wants
  • buck
  • Veteran
A league source said some teams (there are currently six teams without a head coach) are beginning to do background work on defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. He could emerge as a candidate in the next week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/3922/source-jim-tomsula-could-get-head-coach-looks

Well, I guess that is something.
Originally posted by buck:
A league source said some teams (there are currently six teams without a head coach) are beginning to do background work on defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. He could emerge as a candidate in the next week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/3922/source-jim-tomsula-could-get-head-coach-looks

Well, I guess that is something.

There's also a report that he may be offered the DC job at Houston if the O'Brien deal is done.