There are 235 users in the forums

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
....sigh...Are we going to turn into the Buffalo Bills of the 21 century?....sigh....

losing a close Super Bowl or championship game hurts less than spending entire seasons mired in s**tty mediocrity between 6-10 and 8-8 IMO
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I really want us to bring in Scott Linehan as an Offensive Consultant/Assistant Head Coach. He's done some pretty impressive stuff since entering the league IMO.
Revived the Minnesota Vikings offense, resurrected the career of Ricky Williams for a short while. Used WR Chris Chambers better than anyone else was able to..Got the most out of Sage Rosenfels and Marc Bulger. His offenses have always ranked in or near the Top 10. For the Lions the past 4 seasons, they've ranked #4 in total offense including excellent Red Zone efficiency AND third down efficiency that was progressing each year.
Originally posted by SaksV:
I really want us to bring in Scott Linehan as an Offensive Consultant/Assistant Head Coach. He's done some pretty impressive stuff since entering the league IMO.
Revived the Minnesota Vikings offense, resurrected the career of Ricky Williams for a short while. Used WR Chris Chambers better than anyone else was able to..Got the most out of Sage Rosenfels and Marc Bulger. His offenses have always ranked in or near the Top 10. For the Lions the past 4 seasons, they've ranked #4 in total offense including excellent Red Zone efficiency AND third down efficiency that was progressing each year.

the lions have stafford force feeding megatron and tons of other playmakers. i think we still need a few guys to get the most out of this offense.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for SaksV.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
the lions have stafford force feeding megatron and tons of other playmakers. i think we still need a few guys to get the most out of this offense.

I understand that Megatron is getting a ridiculous amount of targets, but that doesn't erase what he was able to do as OC/HC for the Vikings, Dolphins and Rams.
He's a coach who understands that if you have playmakers, you make plays for them. He did it for Randy Moss, Chris Chambers, Marty Booker, Torry Holt, and Calvin Johnson. He can do the same with our guys.

Who are the "tons" of other Lions playmakers? lol Reggie Bush just got there. Linehan's been there since '09.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

I understand that Megatron is getting a ridiculous amount of targets, but that doesn't erase what he was able to do as OC/HC for the Vikings, Dolphins and Rams.
He's a coach who understands that if you have playmakers, you make plays for them. He did it for Randy Moss, Chris Chambers, Marty Booker, Torry Holt, and Calvin Johnson. He can do the same with our guys.

Who are the "tons" of other Lions playmakers? lol Reggie Bush just got there. Linehan's been there since '09.

For all we know Roman is following Harbs plan. Adding a new coach might not matter if he can't call what he wants when he wants.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
For all we know Roman is following Harbs plan. Adding a new coach might not matter if he can't call what he wants when he wants.

Absolutely. You may be 100% right on with that haha. This is why The Zone exists though...so we can put our ideas out there..
Originally posted by swayze:
second-place schedule should be easier, not harder...

We lucked out getting scheduled against the afc south. Why do you say it should be easier? We went to the super bowl last year. How does that affect scheduling?

Well, that sounds like a targeted, superstar offense? That is the mentality that we have, without the superstars. I prefer what McDaniels does, what Norv does, and get production out of everyone, including no names. The Robin Hood offense because it distributes to everybody.
Well, that sounds like a targeted, superstar offense? That is the mentality that we have, without the superstars. I prefer what McDaniels does, what Norv does, and get production out of everyone, including no names. The Robin Hood offense because it distributes to everybody.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran

A Targeted Superstar Offense? Is that an actual system or did you just make that up? Doesn't that contradict the above claim that the Lions have tons of weapons?

What I meant was that Linehan does a great job of recognizing the talent he has to work with, and designs multiple ways to suit their strengths. His Situational prowess is top-notch (Red Zone%, 3rd Down%, Yards Per Play, Time Of Possession....areas we have lacked)

Norv does a good job and so does McDaniels, but I would prefer Linehan because:
A) His system isn't digit-based (ours isn't either..not trying to stunt Kap's growth like Alex), Norv's is.
B) McDaniels has personality issues that I don't think will work well here.
C) Linehan has been the most consistent of the above mentioned coaches
[ Edited by SaksV on Jan 25, 2014 at 5:34 AM ]

Originally posted by swayze:
second-place schedule should be easier, not harder...

We lucked out getting scheduled against the afc south. Why do you say it should be easier? We went to the super bowl last year. How does that affect scheduling?

doesn't. division placement does. 1st in division=play all NFC division champs. 2nd in division=play all NFC division 2nd place.
A Targeted Superstar Offense? Is that an actual system or did you just make that up? Doesn't that contradict the above claim that the Lions have tons of weapons?

What I meant was that Linehan does a great job of recognizing the talent he has to work with, and designs multiple ways to suit their strengths. His Situational prowess is top-notch (Red Zone%, 3rd Down%, Yards Per Play, Time Of Possession....areas we have lacked)

Norv does a good job and so does McDaniels, but I would prefer Linehan because:
A) His system isn't digit-based (ours isn't either..not trying to stunt Kap's growth like Alex), Norv's is.
B) McDaniels has personality issues that I don't think will work well here.
C) Linehan has been the most consistent of the above mentioned coaches

I just made it up. I mean that staff only calls plays for very few skill players and doesn't really work the depth chart. That kind of predictablility hurt us and hurt the development of many players, not just rookies. So, an OC that will do the same thing is not really going to change the fundamentals IMO.

What is a digit offense?
  • dj43
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by dj43:
Yes, coaching had a great deal to do with the success. By just not screwing anything up like Singletary did, the talent on the team was able to play. Harbaugh did bring some tricks that helped them win that first year but by year two those no longer worked. The offense became mired in the same old stew and remains there now. Harbaugh was great compared to Singletary but still has the same game and time management issues, still ultra conservative offense, etc.

Second, Harbaugh benefitted by the timing of his arrival. Vernon Davis had matured due to Singletary's handling and was ready to break out. Patrick Willis had become a star. Other key players had a reached a maturity level as well. He did little to develop much of the core of the team.

In short, all he had to do was not screw up the talent that was already here. He has done that, but the team continues to struggle on the same hurdle it did the first year he was here. It is hard to say this team has gotten better since that first year, particularly on offense. Holding serve is not a great achievement.
This is extremely cynical and completely unfair.

The 49ers came within one play of winning the Superbowl last year, and came within one play in two other years from reaching the Super Bowl. I don't care how talented a team is, there's no way you maintain that level of success without having great coaching at the top. There is an immense amount of gameplanning and preparation that takes place. It's more than just the players. To try to assert that Harbaugh as a coach is the equivalent of the cliche "game manager" quarterback is just ridiculous!

There is a reason that the success of this team skyrocketed once Harbaugh got here. We went from a losing, mediocre team to an absolute juggernaut. To try to discredit Harbaugh for that is completely unreasonable.

If the coaching was so inept, we wouldn't be fretting over bad calls at the end of the game. We'd be upset that our team was absolutely decimated and didn't stand a chance from the second the game started. Even in these title games we've lost, we've been highly competitive. That is indicative of good coaching, because deep into the playoffs you should be completely out-classed by the coaches you're facing if you don't know what you're doing.

It is critical but it is not unfair.

As has been said in various places here, Harbaugh inherited a loaded roster that many picked to win 10-11 games and win the NFC West under Singletary. Harbaugh eliminated the ineptness of Singletary and in so doing reached a bit above the level experts predicted. However, since that time, the offense stays the same and the team struggles for the same reasons it has since he arrived.

As I said above, Harbaugh is a GOOD coach but he is not a great coach. There are 8-10 other coaches in the league that could have done with this roster what Harbaugh has done.

With that I am going to bow out for a while. Been a long and frustrating season.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
It is critical but it is not unfair.

As has been said in various places here, Harbaugh inherited a loaded roster that many picked to win 10-11 games and win the NFC West under Singletary. Harbaugh eliminated the ineptness of Singletary and in so doing reached a bit above the level experts predicted. However, since that time, the offense stays the same and the team struggles for the same reasons it has since he arrived.

As I said above, Harbaugh is a GOOD coach but he is not a great coach. There are 8-10 other coaches in the league that could have done with this roster what Harbaugh has done.

With that I am going to bow out for a while. Been a long and frustrating season.

With what you just said that is probably a smart idea.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

Hearing #49ers ass't OLB coach Peter Hansen, seen here winging passes, is heading back to #Stanford. http://youtu.be/spCgp-8_TLc via @youtube
Share 49ersWebzone