LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Originally posted by sfout:
So what does everyone else think about Stanford DC Derek Mason going to Vanderbilt? Could we see a reverse pipeline to college from our defense? Say maybe LB coach Jim Leavitt going to Stanford?

Probably inside promotion.
Time for Roman to go to Cleveland!
Originally posted by robniner:

What did Cleveland ever do to you? LOL!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by robniner:

What did Cleveland ever do to you? LOL!

It exists......

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot

As of Tuesday night, the #Browns hadn't asked for permission to interview 49ers OC Greg Roman (John Carroll grad) or 49ers DC Vic Fangio.
It's pretty telling when even Cleveland doesn't want to talk to Roman.
Originally posted by lamontb:
It's pretty telling when even Cleveland doesn't want to talk to Roman.

Man, nobody in the NFL even wants an interview with these guys.
Originally posted by NCommand:

That pretty much says it all right there. Ravens o coordinator gets a job. Seattle and Denver coordinators both got jobs last year. Folks still looking into Josh McDaniels and OBrien got Texans job. And Cleveland just got shut down from Denver's o coordinator and are now still looking at Seattle's d coordinator. Seattle could have 2 d coordinators get head cocaching jobs 2 years in a row. Niners have no hires. I can't ever recall a team being this good for 3 years in a row and nobody getting a shot elsewhere. I mean Vanderbilt didn't even waste time gvivng Roman another look and went with the guy from Stanford.
Originally posted by NCommand:

That pretty much says it all right there. Ravens o coordinator gets a job. Seattle and Denver coordinators both got jobs last year. Folks still looking into Josh McDaniels and OBrien got Texans job. And Cleveland just got shut down from Denver's o coordinator and are now still looking at Seattle's d coordinator. Seattle could have 2 d coordinators get head cocaching jobs 2 years in a row. Niners have no hires. I can't ever recall a team being this good for 3 years in a row and nobody getting a shot elsewhere. I mean Vanderbilt didn't even waste time gvivng Roman another look and went with the guy from Stanford.

Yeah, not even at the college level where Roman himself, would be more ideal with his playbook and experience. I wonder what GM's are thinking. Honestly...
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Looks like another year of Roman as the OC.

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami Eric Mangini, team offensive consultant this season, likely will move to a position-coach role w/49ers in 2014. Not clear which position.

On Donatell... RT @CamInman His contract was to expire at season's end. He told me planned on staying. No DCs jobs open right now
Originally posted by Jcool:
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot

As of Tuesday night, the #Browns hadn't asked for permission to interview 49ers OC Greg Roman (John Carroll grad) or 49ers DC Vic Fangio.

Even better no Tomsula
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami Eric Mangini, team offensive consultant this season, likely will move to a position-coach role w/49ers in 2014. Not clear which position.

On Donatell... RT @CamInman His contract was to expire at season's end. He told me planned on staying. No DCs jobs open right now

Donatell better stay. All our corners and safeties have performed well under his tutelage.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM ]
  • kem99
  • Veteran
A lot of what you are attributing to a lack of interest in Roman and/or 49ers assistants is for different reasons.

The Texans didn't have to wait to talk to O'Brien. Seattle and Denver's coordinators were available to be hired after the division round of the playoffs.

Vanderbilt didn't want to wait for Roman (or any other NFL coach) to be available with recruiting class in limbo.

Beyond that, while success as a coordinator will put a coach on someone's radar, it is not necessarily the determining factor...Recall how the 49ers under Nolan kept lost McCarthy despite ranking at the bottom of the league in offense and lost Turner while still averaging less than 200 yards per game passing.

Given that all of the HC jobs except the Browns were filled before the Championship games, it is pretty clear that in today's NFL, teams do not want to wait too long for other teams' assistant coaches to become available. Even as to Quinn, the Browns were the only team possibly willing to wait for the coordinator of the #1 ranked defense in the league this season.

Seems pretty clear that Harbaugh has managed to keep his coaching staff mostly intact over 3 years largely because every year the 49ers have gone deep into the playoffs.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Hello? Who is this? Greg Roman? Yeeeaaahhh.... how did you get this number? Jed? That was thoughtful. We'll call you maybe next week or so if we feel there's an appropriate opening. Thanks. Bye.

LOL!!!
Share 49ersWebzone