There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pass Defense

Either we'll get exposed or Fangio will change things up and sacks will appear.

I know I'm probably wrong BUT it seems like we TRY to do just enough to get by.

We are capable of more points and more sacks. BUT it seems like our guys are being held back from what they are capable of doing.
I think our pass defense suffers cause there on the field ALL GAME thanks to Roman's genius run the ball up the middle with Gore strategy even if it doesn't work then we go 3 and out on every drive and the tired defense is back on the field. People want the pass defense better then tell Roman to use his brain and actually be creative to sustain long drives to give the pass rushers a chance to rest which will help the secondary.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Raul98:
I think our pass defense suffers cause there on the field ALL GAME thanks to Roman's genius run the ball up the middle with Gore strategy even if it doesn't work then we go 3 and out on every drive and the tired defense is back on the field. People want the pass defense better then tell Roman to use his brain and actually be creative to sustain long drives to give the pass rushers a chance to rest which will help the secondary.

yes, romans 30 second drives just kill us on both sides of the ball. posters who have been trying to defend roman have been trotting out stats and whatever to try to make a case for him. but these 30 second drives are killers which never show up in the stats. in some cases the best defense is a good offense but that is something roman can not comprehend
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Let's not forget that it took Palmer 50 passes to get to 400 and we were up 17 and therefore the Cards had to pass more. Also, we only gave up 20 points and this is with our offense going to sleep the majority of the game.

To answer the question the issue is our pass rush. Our secondary is really really good but they can only be so dominant when QBs don't feel pressure. Luckily, our pressure historically is pretty hood against GB. Overall, I expect playoff intensity to make our pass rush much better.
so?

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by cciowa:

yes, romans 30 second drives just kill us on both sides of the ball. posters who have been trying to defend roman have been trotting out stats and whatever to try to make a case for him. but these 30 second drives are killers which never show up in the stats. in some cases the best defense is a good offense but that is something roman can not comprehend
Yesterday i was so happy the first few drives Roman was being a genius he got creative and used some beautiful plays to Boldin and the awesome 20+ yard reverse to Patton. I even saw some no huddle his great play calling had Arizona confused and we dominated then to a 17-0 lead. Then he went back to regular Roman and ran the ball up the middle to Gore even it was unsuccessful every time . That is when our defense started to wear out. If Roman called plays the whole game like he did to get us to the 17-0 the outcome of this game would have been different. Our offense needs to be as aggressive as our defense plain and simple.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM ]
the Packers will try to establish a run game with Lacy and continue to call quick 3 step throws to avoid having their brutal O-line get exposed too much. this means playing their WRs tight (press). I will not be happy if i see 5yd slants and other quick throws being completed easily out there.

That being said we have played well vs. Rodgers 3 or 4 times in a row now so we know this offense well.

I am worried about our own offense. We have everything on paper to score 30+ pts a game, yet we settle for FGs all the time.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Yesterday i was so happy the first few drives Roman was being a genius he got creative and used some beautiful plays to Boldin and the awesome 20+ yard reverse to Patton. I even saw some no huddle his great play calling had Arizona confused and we dominated then to a 17-0 lead. Then he went back to regular Roman and ran the ball up the middle to Gore even it was unsuccessful every time . That is when our defense started to wear out. If Roman called plays the whole game like he did to get us to the 17-0 the outcome of this game would have been different. Our offense needs to be as aggressive as our defense plain and simple.
98 said nothing wrong
Originally posted by boast:
so?

Any bets we won every game by 3 points or less? This is an awesome stat though...and like the previous poster said, it's probably more of a byproduct of getting up early and playing prevent defensE to chew up as much time as possible and squeak it out. But it sure does put a ton of pressure on the defense or offense or ST's late in games and this is one game we should have put to bed early and rested up going into 3 straight road games. In fact, we damn near almost went into OT which would have been even more ideal for GB (aka the luckiest team in history).
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM ]
we don't rush more than 4 and teams because of aldon usually have 6 people in to protect.

4 v6

when we rush 5 pressure gets there almost immediately..

also snap count.

i bet the cardinals probably had 30 more snaps than we did. when the snap count is even because the offense stays on the field and extends drives they're fresher at the end.

also carlos rogers.
if there is a big play to be made 90% of the time it's on him.

we need to play brock, wright and brown.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea secondary has got torched 2 weeks in a row. Last week it was White, and this week it was the whole AZ wr core. A big issue here is the pass rush. Panthers sacked Ryan 9 times yesterday. Niners barely touched the dude. D line flat out needs to play better. Palmer was comfortable in the pocket for the majority of the game. Corners play too far off wr's. Time to start off with some blitzes early instead for only trying them when the 4 man rush isn't working. Just need to mix it up a little bit. Every o line is expecting the stunt. Whenever Willis or Bow blitzed it was successful.

This has been my argument all along. IF the pass rush isn't getting it done (via straight-up vanilla-style or even by manufacturing one), THEN you play tigher up at the LOS and play press or at least tighter...come up close pre snap, back off, vice versa, etc. ESPECIALLY on 3rd downs. Make them at least EARN it. The tighter coverage and disruption will often times, at least make a QB hesitate and allow that extra 1/2 a second for the pass rush to get there. The two units work in tandem!

Mix it up a bit. And use your personnel better...stop matching Whitner up on TE's and bigger slot WR's in the RZ...use Reid. Put your best cover CB on a team's best WR. Get Rogers and his 1/2-ass-effort off the field and develop Morris or bring in Wright who was making strides before Brown was inserted back into the lineup.

Exactly. Pass rush not working then you need to play more up on wr and throw in some bump and run. Get them off their patterns and allow that extra time for the pass rush to get home. Not all game long and every single play but mix it up. And stop waiting til the 2nd half to mix it up. Can't say well they don't want to give up the big play b/c they giving up the big play regardless. It's like it's a team of aggressive players being coached to be passive. Attack. When they got aggressive vs ATL we all seen the results. They got 2 dynamic ILB'ers and they mostly leave them playing zone coverage in the middle of the field. They should be wrecking havoc on A gap blitzes. And i'm not for changing of philopshies per se, I just want these things sprinkled in more often. The starters on this team are studs, but they do need help of the scheme to make them successful. Can't just stay overly vanilla.
[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by boast:
so?

Which is why I take numbers with a grain of result -- numbers mean nothing without context and the above stat proves it.

I don't have stats to back this up, but I can safely assume that a big chunk of these passing yards happen in the second half when teams ditch their gameplan and go pass happy on us -- inflating their garbage time yards.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Any bets we won every game by 3 points or less? This is an awesome stat though...and like the previous poster said, it's probably more of a byproduct of getting up early and playing prevent defensE to chew up as much time as possible and squeak it out. But it sure does put a ton of pressure on the defense or offense or ST's late in games and this is one game we should have put to bed early and rested up going into 3 straight road games. In fact, we damn near almost went into OT which would have been even more ideal for GB (aka the luckiest team in history).

it's because we make teams 1 dimensional.
if you can't run on us then it's going to be damn near impossible to beat us.

and if you don't run with a fullback, then you probably won't be able to. and even if you do, if the back isn't huge then that's not good for that back that's going to take punishment.

i think the defense will stiffen up going forward in all phases. i still believe eric wright should be playing over rogers.

They show up in the stats ... in the form of a 2 to 1 TOP ratio.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Get Aldon to come out of retirement.

perhaps we can give Aldon a couple of shots of tequila before kickoff?