LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 187 users in the forums

The bright side of not winning the NFC West this year....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
Have you ever heard of logic? Your statement made NO sense. You didnt even know who we were playing.

If you want to be positive, say "We own Green Bay". Looking on the bright side wouldve been "Hey, at least were in the playoffs.", not saying "You know it might actually be better that we have to play an extra game, and will be on the road the entire postseason."

OTOH recent history suggests a road warrior team will win it all
Originally posted by swayze:
Have you ever heard of logic? Your statement made NO sense. You didnt even know who we were playing.

If you want to be positive, say "We own Green Bay". Looking on the bright side wouldve been "Hey, at least were in the playoffs.", not saying "You know it might actually be better that we have to play an extra game, and will be on the road the entire postseason."

OTOH recent history suggests a road warrior team will win it all

That doesnt make having to play an extra round and never getting home field advantage a positive thing though. Clearly the difference of playing the Seahawks at home vs. on the road is significant.
That doesnt make having to play an extra round and never getting home field advantage a positive thing though. Clearly the difference of playing the Seahawks at home vs. on the road is significant.

Yeah I'm not thrilled with the prospect either. It's obviously not scientific, and totally counterintuitive, but teams playing through the wildcard round and on the road just seem to do better...we can pull a 2011 giants...we are getting hot at just the right time.
The bright side is we're going into the playoffs with a 6 game winning streak. We managed to go 12-4 in the toughest division in football. The schedule was brutal. 7 out of 16 games were against a Top 7 defense. We are battle tested to the extreme. We've been playing playoff games all year.
Originally posted by VANiner:
Well, as much as I would have liked to have been NFC West champs for a third year in a row, the simple fact is SEA was just a little bit better than us. The good news is that we are on a roll right now, and if recent results say anything, it is fear the Wildcards who enter the postseason on a roll!

What is even better about coming in 2nd this year, regardless how the playoffs go, we will be playing the NFC East and CHI, DAL and NO (instead of GB, PHI, and CAR). Also have to play the AFC west. All in all, a decent schedule.

How is there a bright side for not winning the division? We have to play an extra game, and will probably have to be on the road the entire postseason. We were going to enter the postseason hot either way...
Um, have you never heard the term "look at the bright side"? It indicates looking at the positive aspect of a negative outcome. Welcome to an English speaking country, it is good to have you.

Where did you come to the conclusion that I don't know who we are playing? Good grief, the only thing I was referring to in the "bright side" narrative is that NEXT year, we will play CHi, DAL, and NO as opposed to GB, PHI and CAR. To me, that is a better slate to have to contend with, hence the "bright side" of coming in 2nd. Jeez, panties in a bunch much?
I think we play better when we keep playing.

We'll be sharper playing every week.

I could be wrong but it seems when we come back after a bye we play flat - like this year.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Well, as much as I would have liked to have been NFC West champs for a third year in a row, the simple fact is SEA was just a little bit better than us. The good news is that we are on a roll right now, and if recent results say anything, it is fear the Wildcards who enter the postseason on a roll!

What is even better about coming in 2nd this year, regardless how the playoffs go, we will be playing the NFC East and CHI, DAL and NO (instead of GB, PHI, and CAR). Also have to play the AFC west. All in all, a decent schedule.

SEA was just a little bit better because of this??

We have to deal with this BS again next year. Seriously, playing at New Orleans 3 years in a row? f**k that. Otherwise, the schedule looks like about 13–3 next season.
the bright side is we're in the playoffs, other than that there is no bright side to not winning the division
Originally posted by crabman82:
the bright side is we're in the playoffs, other than that there is no bright side to not winning the division

I disagree. With us not getting all of our weapons on the field until late in the year I think that every game Kap, Crabs, QPat and AB get together is huge.
Originally posted by WashDCNinerFan:

I disagree. With us not getting all of our weapons on the field until late in the year I think that every game Kap, Crabs, QPat and AB get together is huge.

i understand the chemistry angle you are making, but i would trade one fewer playoff game to have 2 at home then 3 on the road. i just disagree with the notion that theres a silver lining in not winning the division. the only one i see is that we're still alive, other than that i'd take other option in a heart beat.

Originally posted by WashDCNinerFan:

i understand the chemistry angle you are making, but i would trade one fewer playoff game to have 2 at home then 3 on the road. i just disagree with the notion that theres a silver lining in not winning the division. the only one i see is that we're still alive, other than that i'd take other option in a heart beat.

Good point. Would be better overall to be home for 2. I guess at this point it is what it is and the team just has to focus on the positives.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The 49ers have proven that they can win anywhere, except in Seattle-with Russell Wilson and that defense.
Originally posted by FL9er:
The 49ers have proven that they can win anywhere, except in Seattle-with Russell Wilson and that defense.

No time like the present.
Originally posted by FL9er:

The greater the challenge the greater the glory...
It me it's a toss up. There's something about playing at home that makes Kaepernick a better QB than him playing in Seattle. The 49er's have already beaten the Seahawks in Candlestick and so the confidence level would be higher playing at the stick.

We've all seen Kaepernicks performance against the Seahawks and that hostile crowd! He's NOT the same (as when playing at home), often looking intimidated, confused, rattled and frustrated.

Hopefully someone else would beat Seattle, because I personally feel that the 49er's would fare better against all other teams, even if they have to play them at their homes. Seattle just posses a different kind of challenge that Kaep has NOT adjusted to. Hopefully in time that will change.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone