There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The bright side of not winning the NFC West this year....

Well, as much as I would have liked to have been NFC West champs for a third year in a row, the simple fact is SEA was just a little bit better than us. The good news is that we are on a roll right now, and if recent results say anything, it is fear the Wildcards who enter the postseason on a roll!

What is even better about coming in 2nd this year, regardless how the playoffs go, we will be playing the NFC East and CHI, DAL and NO (instead of GB, PHI, and CAR). Also have to play the AFC west. All in all, a decent schedule.
We play greenbay
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
We play greenbay

Uh huh. And I noted how we won't play them next year. Point being that they scare me more than any other team in the NFC year to year. Yes, we do play them next week, but they are not the same team right now that we have beaten 3 times in a row. I'm more confident in getting Rodgers right now than I would be when he is fresh next season.
I would rather win the #1 seed which would have happened if not for some questionable officiating in the NO game, but whats done is done. The odds are better when you are the #1 or two seed. It is harder to win from the wild card spot, but not impossible.

The only good thing is Seattle has a lot of young talent and they will need to pay up to get them back. Not to mention some players who have had signed on with one year deals. Winning the West will make it harder for them, they will also have to face what the niners have faced, teams raiding your practice squad of players.
Originally posted by WildBill:
I would rather win the #1 seed which would have happened if not for some questionable officiating in the NO game, but whats done is done. The odds are better when you are the #1 or two seed. It is harder to win from the wild card spot, but not impossible.

The only good thing is Seattle has a lot of young talent and they will need to pay up to get them back. Not to mention some players who have had signed on with one year deals. Winning the West will make it harder for them, they will also have to face what the niners have faced, teams raiding your practice squad of players.

Yes.

2 seed yes, but 1 seed?

1 seed hasnt won s**t in years and has often been one and done in the playoffs.
Originally posted by biggiep:

2 seed yes, but 1 seed?

I would still much rather have it than any other seed. Why would you want to be lower? There has been time periods where the #1 and #2 seeds have been dominant too. It's just Flacco and Eli Manning in recent years have convinced everybody that the wild card is the way to go. IMO that is still more the exception than the rule if you look at it historically over long periods of time. You can get a statistical anomaly over short periods of time. And I think that is what is happening the last few years.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM ]

2 seed yes, but 1 seed?

Much better odds than wild card though, less games played and a chance to rest.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

2 seed yes, but 1 seed?

I would still much rather have it than any other seed. Why would you want to be lower? There has been time periods where the #1 and #2 seeds have been dominant too. It's just Flacco and Eli Manning in recent years have convinced everybody that the wild card is the way to go. IMO that is still more the exception than the rule if you look at it historically over long periods of time. You can get a statistical anomaly over short periods of time. And I think that is what is happening the last few years.

Don't forget Rodgers and Roethlisberger either. I'd rather have the #1 seed too, but this trend has been going on for a while.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM ]

2 seed yes, but 1 seed?

Much better odds than wild card though, less games played and a chance to rest.

That's one of the biggest benefits IMO. You can't lose if you don't play. LOL. You just need to win 3 games to win the Super Bowl. 4 games if you are the wild card. All against good teams and a lot on the road. That's harder IMO. Plus resting your guys after a long year of everybody banged up is a big deal.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

2 seed yes, but 1 seed?

The only thing one would argue is, in the niners case we are all healthy and peaking at the right time, sometimes a week off can take a little edge off a team, some teams are hurting so it is good for them, the niners though are on a roll. Still destiny awaits and we will see.
Originally posted by VANiner:
Well, as much as I would have liked to have been NFC West champs for a third year in a row, the simple fact is SEA was just a little bit better than us. The good news is that we are on a roll right now, and if recent results say anything, it is fear the Wildcards who enter the postseason on a roll!

What is even better about coming in 2nd this year, regardless how the playoffs go, we will be playing the NFC East and CHI, DAL and NO (instead of GB, PHI, and CAR). Also have to play the AFC west. All in all, a decent schedule.

SEA was just a little bit better because of this??

1 and dun. sorry guys. pack it up.

How is there a bright side for not winning the division? We have to play an extra game, and will probably have to be on the road the entire postseason. We were going to enter the postseason hot either way...
Originally posted by kap2crab:

SEA was just a little bit better because of this??

STL, HOU, and TB gifted Seattle 3 wins. They werent at all better than us.