There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NO KILLER INSTINCT

Killer instinct-I think 12-4 and an average of 12 wins since being hired shows they have the instinct to kill and win the game. Great teams are not always great they are only great when they have to be. I think some want a high scoring team- we all want that. However the offensive philosophy is not that. I do admit it gives gray hairs at times, but its better than what we had during the Nolan and Singletary years.

Plus lest you forget, one of the super bowl wins with Montana, came when we were 10-6. No killer instinct there you would think until the playoffs. Same can be said of when the Giants and Ravens when they won the SB. First thing first, get to the playoffs. Hopefully then they will unleash the beast like all good teams do that win SB.

Maybe and hopefully the niners will unveil some new wrinkle like they did with Kaep in last years playoff game. Still if you don't need to unveil all your secrets then don't, save some as you progress deeper into the playoffs.
Umm this is is a joke right? Your trolling correct? Or gone come out and say "JUST KIDDING " I dont care how they won, but they won! Lets enjoy it. Playoff time!
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Incorrect logic, my friend. If we did the opposite of what was necessary then we would have lost.

We won, therefore, we did what was necessary.

Was it perfect? Of course not, the parity in football is unparalleled; I disliked how we ran out of obvious running formations (Single WR, I-formation sets), but I wouldn't take those play-calling mistakes and selective conservatism and say "we lack a killer instinct" -- the central premise to this thread.

I truly think you are underestimating our opponent who has the #6 Total Defense. (only two spots below our very own 49ers)

correct logic.

the title of this thread is killer instinct.

doing just what's necessary will have you sitting home watching.

if we weren't capable of more i wouldn't expect more.

but when you leave 20 points on the field every game. that's not good and its never been good.

we convert the 2 times we should have... at the end of the half and on the turnover the game is 31-7

we don't need a last second field goal

that's what im saying.

Please point out how our team left 20 points on the field every game.

How did you quantify that?
I think it could be said of all teams. The cards could claim that today also, when they got into the red zone and either turned the ball over or only managed a field goal. I understand their frustration and point, but thing is we find a way to win, I think in a sense this builds character, like last weeks game against Atlanta offense couldn't get going in the first half, but got untracked. Has to give team confidnce that only blow outs can't give you when you encounter a tight game or a game like last week.
so OP is basically complaining that every game isnt a blowout.
I don't think what we saw was a lack of killer instinct. I think AZ just played damn good run defense.

They were trying like hell to make us abandon the run, and to our credit, we did not. That would have played right into their hands.

It's very easy to say we should have just thrown it since the run wasn't working, but that would have made us predictable and AZ is excellent at getting pressure on the QB. Kap and the receivers still were able to make clutch plays despite no running game and poor o-line play.
We have a suicidal instinct.

We rushed three on that long touchdown pass. Rushing three is the single most destructive thing a defensive coach can do to his football team. Fangio does it from time to time because he has a brain tumor.

Any team that rushes three deserves to get scored upon, and we got what we deserved. I can only pray the tumor doesn't act up during the playoffs.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

We rushed three on that long touchdown pass. Rushing three is the single most destructive thing a defensive coach can do to his football team. Fangio does it from time to time because he has a brain tumor.

Any team that rushes three deserves to get scored upon, and we got what we deserved. I can only pray the tumor doesn't act up during the playoffs.

The sad part is the logic behind it: Rush 3 so 8 can drop back in coverage to nullify anything deep -- but we still gave up a basic streak route for a TD lol. Awful.

The sad part is the logic behind it: Rush 3 so 8 can drop back in coverage to nullify anything deep -- but we still gave up a basic streak route for a TD lol. Awful.

That ONE extra defender doesn't allow you to flood the entire field with an impenetrable wall, it only slightly improves your coverage, but it DRAMATICALLY hurts your pass rush. It's simply dumb. There is no evidence that demonstrates it is effective at all.

It consistently results in negative plays and the fact that it is used is one of the greatest football oddities around.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Killer instinct-I think 12-4 and an average of 12 wins since being hired shows they have the instinct to kill and win the game. Great teams are not always great they are only great when they have to be. I think some want a high scoring team- we all want that. However the offensive philosophy is not that. I do admit it gives gray hairs at times, but its better than what we had during the Nolan and Singletary years.

Plus lest you forget, one of the super bowl wins with Montana, came when we were 10-6. No killer instinct there you would think until the playoffs. Same can be said of when the Giants and Ravens when they won the SB. First thing first, get to the playoffs. Hopefully then they will unleash the beast like all good teams do that win SB.

Maybe and hopefully the niners will unveil some new wrinkle like they did with Kaep in last years playoff game. Still if you don't need to unveil all your secrets then don't, save some as you progress deeper into the playoffs.

I remember that season when the niners were in a dogfight with the Bengals and Ronnie Lott told his teammates at Halftime "we are in a battle with a team that is like us trying to win" they were complaining why they were not blowing this team out...so yes there are gonna be games were you have to GRIND OUT wins,But I have seen far too many games were the OC and HC JUST did not put teams away when they should have they ALLOWED them to stick around FAR to often,for instance the TITANS game aqnd the JAGS game sure they scored 30 plus points BUT look at how they scored them our defense scored points to make the scores look better then what they were, what Im trying to say is the OFFENSE has not produced the Points that it us capable of ,I hope I,m making a clear point.

I remember that season when the niners were in a dogfight with the Bengals and Ronnie Lott told his teammates at Halftime "we are in a battle with a team that is like us trying to win" they were complaining why they were not blowing this team out...so yes there are gonna be games were you have to GRIND OUT wins,But I have seen far too many games were the OC and HC JUST did not put teams away when they should have they ALLOWED them to stick around FAR to often,for instance the TITANS game aqnd the JAGS game sure they scored 30 plus points BUT look at how they scored them our defense scored points to make the scores look better then what they were, what Im trying to say is the OFFENSE has not produced the Points that it us capable of ,I hope I,m making a clear point.

very point.

That ONE extra defender doesn't allow you to flood the entire field with an impenetrable wall, it only slightly improves your coverage, but it DRAMATICALLY hurts your pass rush. It's simply dumb. There is no evidence that demonstrates it is effective at all.

It consistently results in negative plays and the fact that it is used is one of the greatest football oddities around.

Agreed.

very point.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
so OP is basically complaining that every game isnt a blowout.
No,I'm saying that there were games this season where the final scores SHOULD not have been that close,not every game are you going to win by blowouts,but if you keep playing the way the offense has played,then sooner or later you are going to get burned look at the COLTS game and the Panthers game all you can score is what13 points? at home! yeah thats complaining and I guess fans like you are satisfied with that.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

very point.
No,I'm saying that there were games this season where the final scores SHOULD not have been that close,not every game are you going to win by blowouts,but if you keep playing the way the offense has played,then sooner or later you are going to get burned look at the COLTS game and the Panthers game all you can score is what13 points? at home! yeah thats complaining and I guess fans like you are satisfied with that.

In some of those games also the D collapsed some, but I know what you are saying, still I think it is not a matter of passing more, Ithink it is a matter some of the schemes in getting the wr open is more in question, I also think coaches coach, but in the end players gotta make the plays, for me, better pass protection and numero uno, followed by schemes in confusing the opponents is second, we are better at it than when singletary wanted to just ram it down your throat, but we are still just ram it down your throat. I would like to see running plays where Gore is in there and either Patton. Hunter or LMJ is also in there then either run it on a give to gore or pitch it to whoever like they did with Patton, or even Kaep keeping it on an option to pass. Like I said thought the players (OL) gotta execute a little more.

Maybe let Kaep roll out and cause the D to panick and cause they secondary to panick and break off.
12-4
Six game win streak... fan base still unsatisfied...