LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 182 users in the forums

NO KILLER INSTINCT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't know if you complainers noticed but this is the pros not the little leagues. You don't go out and try to grind every opponent into the ground just because your up 17-0... Once it's a three possession game your try to grind it out to a four possession game and then you take what the defense gives you. Trying to run up points and get all cute is what lets a team back into the game. Just chill out we have proven we can win close games, grind em out, blow outs. We can win with defense, passing, or run game. We are the most diverse team in the NFL and I think it will show during the playoffs. Damn I swear I have never seen a fan base be so negative about a 12-4 team... smh.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
I respectfully disagree.

The Arizona Cardinals are a SOLID team with a top-ranked defense. If you play wild and overly aggressive against that type of team, things can get ugly -- these type of games are won by field-position, time of position, and and turnover free football.

Just look at what happened after Jay Feely's second missed field goal. We were up 17-10. On the first play, we tried to play aggressive by calling a play-action pass; it was defended well and Kaepernick got sacked for a loss of 12 yards -- we then went 3-and-out.

Each game is its own entity, and we did what was necessary to win THIS STYLE of football game.

wildly aggressive?

just don't shut the offense down and become vanilla. that doesn't mean you have to play action pass and throw bombs every down. it does mean keep the offense in rhythm. continue to run screens to the wr's who were destroying the cardinal db's it does mean string together some 1st downs it does mean don't run the same exact play on every single 3rd/4th short yardage situation to put the defense BACK on the field for snaps they shouldn't be taking

the defense shouldn't have to NOT give up any points in for us to win we should put up 31 and have them play looser than they do.

and we didn't do what was necessary
we did the opposite of what was necessary
we played to protect the lead not put them away.
we play to put them away mccoy is taking snaps in the 4th instead of us having to have a drive for a win with less than a minute left

Incorrect logic, my friend. If we did the opposite of what was necessary then we would have lost.

We won, therefore, we did what was necessary.

Was it perfect? Of course not, the parity in football is unparalleled; I disliked how we ran out of obvious running formations (Single WR, I-formation sets), but I wouldn't take those play-calling mistakes and selective conservatism and say "we lack a killer instinct" -- the central premise to this thread.

I truly think you are underestimating our opponent who has the #6 Total Defense. (only two spots below our very own 49ers)
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
The following also made me chuckle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWsW2fHBQ_Y
Incorrect logic, my friend. If we did the opposite of what was necessary then we would have lost.

Was it perfect? Of course not, the parity in football is unparalleled; I disliked how we ran out of obvious running formations (Single WR, I-formation sets), but I wouldn't take those play-calling mistakes and selective conservatism and say "we lack a killer instinct" -- the central premise to this thread.

I truly think you are underestimating our opponent who has the #6 Total Defense. (only two spots below our very own 49ers)

correct logic.

the title of this thread is killer instinct.

doing just what's necessary will have you sitting home watching.

if we weren't capable of more i wouldn't expect more.

but when you leave 20 points on the field every game. that's not good and its never been good.

we convert the 2 times we should have... at the end of the half and on the turnover the game is 31-7

we don't need a last second field goal

that's what im saying.
lol at the Harbaugh/Mariucci comparison.

correct logic.

but when you leave 20 points on the field every game. that's not good and its never been good.

we convert the 2 times we should have... at the end of the half and on the turnover the game is 31-7

that's what im saying.

#3 scoring defense and lead the league in pts off turnovers NOT worried
we lost 4 games all year (and got robbed in that NO "loss") calm the f**k down
I totally agree when they first came out they had the killer instinct they were being creative some beautiful reverses to Boldin and Patton and even some no huddle then with a lead we start to run the ball up the middle OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER even if it wasn't working. What happened to the creative plays that were making the Cardinals looks silly? why do Roman and Harbaugh relax to the point our D gets tired and worn out and we almost lose.????????
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we always let teams linger around, then they end up almost beating us.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we always let teams linger around, then they end up almost beating us.

But then they dont, because good teams find a way to win.

Originally posted by gold49digger:
The ravens never had that killer instinct on offense. They just got hot at the right time.
Like today???

correct logic.

that's what im saying.

Please point out how our team left 20 points on the field every game.

How did you quantify that?
Killer instinct-I think 12-4 and an average of 12 wins since being hired shows they have the instinct to kill and win the game. Great teams are not always great they are only great when they have to be. I think some want a high scoring team- we all want that. However the offensive philosophy is not that. I do admit it gives gray hairs at times, but its better than what we had during the Nolan and Singletary years.

Plus lest you forget, one of the super bowl wins with Montana, came when we were 10-6. No killer instinct there you would think until the playoffs. Same can be said of when the Giants and Ravens when they won the SB. First thing first, get to the playoffs. Hopefully then they will unleash the beast like all good teams do that win SB.

Maybe and hopefully the niners will unveil some new wrinkle like they did with Kaep in last years playoff game. Still if you don't need to unveil all your secrets then don't, save some as you progress deeper into the playoffs.
Umm this is is a joke right? Your trolling correct? Or gone come out and say "JUST KIDDING " I dont care how they won, but they won! Lets enjoy it. Playoff time!

correct logic.

that's what im saying.

Please point out how our team left 20 points on the field every game.

How did you quantify that?
I think it could be said of all teams. The cards could claim that today also, when they got into the red zone and either turned the ball over or only managed a field goal. I understand their frustration and point, but thing is we find a way to win, I think in a sense this builds character, like last weeks game against Atlanta offense couldn't get going in the first half, but got untracked. Has to give team confidnce that only blow outs can't give you when you encounter a tight game or a game like last week.
Share 49ersWebzone