There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Pro Bowl selections 2013-2014

Originally posted by tchristo:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
They changed the format this year; they throw all of the players into one pot then they have 2 HOF players pick the teams. This year it's Jerry Rice and Dion Sanders. Pretty incredibly stupid format if you ask me. Come have Bow & Willis tackeling Gire, etc..Goodell thinks it will make the game attractive again, is this guy the classic clown or wot?!

Did I miss something? When did this happen? Horrible idea.

Yes they are hosting a draft January 21 or 22 as Rice & Deion are going to pick their players but might NOT matter when the 49ers are in the Super Bowl
[ Edited by Harbaalke on Dec 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM ]
This could be one of the dumbest moves ever (alternate teams). Can you see Bowman or Willis or Brooks taking a shot at Gore... not a chance...though I am guessing we wont see any Niners in the Pro Bowl .. though, on second thought, maybe Dick Sherman can either blow up Skittles or get trucked by him
I hope a lot of the players choose not to go because of the new stupid format, send Goodell a message to keep the old pro bowl format. I think more players won't play as hard, not wanting to hit their own teammates.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Selections will be announced tonight at 6 pm.

Looks like C.J. Spillman finished in 1st place among the fan voting, and Joe Staley finished 2nd at T.

Any predictions for who makes it?

edit: Eight 49ers make Pro Bowl:

RB- Frank Gore
(5th Pro Bowl)
TE- Vernon Davis
(2nd Pro Bowl)
T- Joe Staley
(3rd Pro Bowl)
G- Mike Iupati
(2nd Pro Bowl)
DT- Justin Smith
(5th Pro Bowl)
ILB- NaVorro Bowman
(2nd Pro Bowl)
ILB- Patrick Willis
(7th Pro Bowl)
OLB- Ahmad Brooks
(1st Pro Bowl)

Congrats to Patrick Willis on making his 7th Pro Bowl in 7 seasons in the NFL, Justin Smith for making his 5th consecutive Pro Bowl (all as a Niner), and Ahmad Brooks for his 1st career selection.

Now hopefully the only reference of these guys making this team will be on paper!

Has this ever been done before? He's got to be close to a record.
I think the Pro Bowl needs more rule changes than format changes. Make it the pass happy game the NFL wants:

- No kickoffs. Teams start at the 25
- 4 downs to score a TD. No punts
- if team fails to score, they start possession at their own 25

You would see a lot of downfield passing and/or play extending tactics (hook and lateral etc)
who cares. it's so damn stupid now. we could have our own players facing ea other??? just get rid of this crap
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
I hope a lot of the players choose not to go because of the new stupid format, send Goodell a message to keep the old pro bowl format. I think more players won't play as hard, not wanting to hit their own teammates.

NAILED IT!!!! Hopefully we're going to the bowl so they don't play. This is crap
Originally posted by wailers15:
who cares. it's so damn stupid now. we could have our own players facing ea other??? just get rid of this crap

I wouldn't mind seeing them turn it into an ESPY type of event. GIve them awards, show high light clips of their season and even have them mic'd up. Maybe they can even take a couple of pre screen questions from the fans. It would be more entertaining than the lame pro bowl game.
Originally posted by SFsFinest:

I wouldn't mind seeing them turn it into an ESPY type of event. GIve them awards, show high light clips of their season and even have them mic'd up. Maybe they can even take a couple of pre screen questions from the fans. It would be more entertaining than the lame pro bowl game.

"Pro Bowl" will soon turn into a Madden tournament, with "best" five players chosen from each team sent to Radio City/MSG/Staples to battle it out in a single-elimination couch-potato-off until the draft in April/May
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by SFsFinest:

"Pro Bowl" will soon turn into a Madden tournament, with "best" five players chosen from each team sent to Radio City/MSG/Staples to battle it out in a single-elimination couch-potato-off until the draft in April/May

Still might be more entertaining than the current version.

Lets face it. There is too much money on the line now-a-days. Its just not worth the risk for the players or owners. This isn't your grandpa i's leather helmet football.
  • buck
  • Veteran
whoops try again
[ Edited by buck on Dec 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM ]
The NHL has done this for the last few years. It doesn't change the actual game at all, but it is fun to have kind of a school yard draft to pick the teams.
baalke sucks
It doesn't matter because he can't play but Bruce Miller being voted the 8th highest fullback is absurd. There's not even 8 real fullbacks that play in the NFL.
I would rather just see a skills competition rather than an actual game