LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

49ers future retired numbers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Considering Gore is now considered the greatest RB in franchise history, Patrick Willis is the greatest LB in 49ers history, and Vernon Davis has to now be considered the best TE in 49ers history, they all deserve it for sure. Plus all 3 are career long Niners.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Considering Gore is now considered the greatest RB in franchise history, Patrick Willis is the greatest LB in 49ers history, and Vernon Davis has to now be considered the best TE in 49ers history, they all deserve it for sure. Plus all 3 are career long Niners.

yea but we could only retire so many numbers. I don't think Davis will be retired since we already have 80 and 87 retired. Patrick Willis may have a case and Gore may have one also.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

yea but we could only retire so many numbers. I don't think Davis will be retired since we already have 80 and 87 retired. Patrick Willis may have a case and Gore may have one also.

Recievers can wear 10-19 now, so retiring 85 isnt a problem. The only players who can wear numbers in the 80's are WR and TE, and we would still have a pool of 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 81, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88, 89 left.

Colin Kaepernick
Start decimals? 80.1? Or fractions? 80 1/2?

Or bite the bullet and have guys playing with 153? Or just have the HoF?

Eventually.
Originally posted by English:

Eventually.

They will just end up opening up numbers to different positions. Pretty much only OL are able to wear 60-79 (with a few exceptions), yet theres nowhere near that kind of need for that many. They can just open up restrictions before they have to go over 100. Up until about 10 years ago, WR HAD to wear 80's, and now the majority of the leagues WR wear teen numbers since they expanded it.

You only need 53 numbers to field a full team, and there are 87 un-retired numbers. Technically we could retire another 34 numbers before we ran out.
As far as I'm concerned it's the player that needs to be memorialized not the number that they wore. I think we should return all the numbers to the players pool and have a statue of each player around Levis Stadium that gets into the 49ers HOF. For me it's the player not the # and that's this humble fans opinion.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
#10.

Kyle Williams.
21 and 52 only, at present.

Correct. If 33 isn't retired, then 85 won't be either. At least for now.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by tmpluff:
what would 94 have to do to get to this status? and how much longer would he have to play for us?

That's actually a great question. At what point are players who are acquired via free agency considered "our own".

Justin Smith, in my opinion, has reached a similar level respect as a Bryant Young (i.e., work ethic, production, veteran leadership, and humility), difference being one was drafted by the 49ers, the other acquired.

If 2 previous 94s weren't retired (Stubblefield, Haley) neither will Justin.

Eventually.

Lol. That would be interesting. Probably the best thing to do would be to un-retire numbers after a period of time. It would still be an honor to have your number retired for a couple decades. Or give players the freedom to choose any number regardless of position, though I like the current format.
  • dj43

I love Gore but old timers that saw Joe Perry will put up a very good argument for Perry. Same goes for Dave Wilcox.

I am for Ring of Honor. Put up the name of the players around the stadium and in a special display area as well.
Originally posted by dj43:

I love Gore but old timers that saw Joe Perry will put up a very good argument for Perry. Same goes for Dave Wilcox.

I am for Ring of Honor. Put up the name of the players around the stadium and in a special display area as well.

IMO allowing any other 49er to wear number 80, 16, 42, or 8 is disrespectful. Imagine Colt McCoy wearing number 16.

Gore has passed Perry at this point. I think old timers get too caught up in "the good ol days", and over glorify the players. We dont have a ton of film or scouting on the legends of the past, so theyre remembered more on reputation than anything, and that can be extremely skewed. Not saying Perry is overrated, but what Gore has done in the modern game certainly qualifies him as the top 49er RB imo.
Originally posted by Wartroll:
As far as I'm concerned it's the player that needs to be memorialized not the number that they wore. I think we should return all the numbers to the players pool and have a statue of each player around Levis Stadium that gets into the 49ers HOF. For me it's the player not the # and that's this humble fans opinion.

i kind of agree but stepping into 16, 80, 8 or 42 shouldnt be allowed. these guys are legends and 80 should be retired league wide, Jerry was that good. they should do statues tho just like the SF giants did at their park.
#85 , he's broken some NFL records a couple of times and has played amazing in the postseason
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone