LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

49ers future retired numbers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This is so true, they need to STOP retiring numbers and start using every number again. I never liked the idea of numbers being retired. If they want to honor a past legend player, they should have them be honorary captains at the coin flip and the sidelines but let all numbers be worn. enough is enough. pretty soon no numbers will be available. Ridiculous actually.

leave the retired numbers retired and just stop retiring anymore. 12 of 99 are already retired. probably 4-5 more will bet retired after this generation is over. then they should stop.

Just start using numbers in the 100s

Or symbols
Current players that deserve to have their number retired (regardless if they still do it in the future) is Gore and Willis. These guys have been the heart and soul of their respective side of the ball through the good times and bad.
they do need to find a system to have a number retired, but after a period of time it becomes available again..
Originally posted by ubaisore:
they do need to find a system to have a number retired, but after a period of time it becomes available again..

Originally posted by tmpluff:
what would 94 have to do to get to this status? and how much longer would he have to play for us?

That's actually a great question. At what point are players who are acquired via free agency considered "our own".

Justin Smith, in my opinion, has reached a similar level respect as a Bryant Young (i.e., work ethic, production, veteran leadership, and humility), difference being one was drafted by the 49ers, the other acquired.
[ Edited by Imfasterthanur on Dec 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by susweel:
This is so true, they need to STOP retiring numbers and start using every number again. I never liked the idea of numbers being retired. If they want to honor a past legend player, they should have them be honorary captains at the coin flip and the sidelines but let all numbers be worn. enough is enough. pretty soon no numbers will be available. Ridiculous actually.

leave the retired numbers retired and just stop retiring anymore. 12 of 99 are already retired. probably 4-5 more will bet retired after this generation is over. then they should stop.

Just start using numbers in the 100s

Or symbols

or maybe letters and numbers kind of like license plates.
Originally posted by dugo:
B.Y. 97…
Gore 21..
Craig 32..

Yes Craig #32

see I disagree here, a great sign of respect for truly great players, 12 of 99 isn't a lot, that still leaves 87 #'s for 53 players meaning another 34 could be retired b4 we have any problems at all. As long as they retire the #'s of the right players I don't see a problem. Imagine another player wearing 16, 80, 42 etc. just wouldn't feel or look right at all to me.

as for the op questions, I think 64 should already be retired, of the current players, 21, 52 are locks IMO, 85 is close behind and if he keeps playing like he's playing right now 53, best case scenario for our franchise is that guy wearing #7 blows the eff up and his # gets retired.
Originally posted by English:
21 and 52 only, at present.

Yep. Justin Smith isn't quite there.
i think they stop retiring numbers after this generation of players and just start putting them in the ring of honor...it's going to get to the point that we'll run outta numbers.

NOBODY should ever wear 16, 80, 8, or 42 again. Other than that, they can stop retiring numbers.

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by dugo:
B.Y. 97…
Gore 21..
Craig 32..

Yes Craig #32

And 15 Montana. 79 Rice should be retired as well.
Originally posted by LEN-RHODE9er:
DaveWilcox is right....#64 should be retired.....A Hall of Famer.....abso-fu kin-lutely !!!

Not quite sure how it's possible to be in the HOF and not have your number retired.
He was the best at his position for about an 8 year period. Ditka said that Wilcox was the best Strong Side LB he ever played against. Forget about running outside on him, Wilcox wrote the book on setting the edge. He was an absolute beast.
My favorite player as a very young kid watching games in black and white. How can Krueger and Brodie's number be retired and not 64??
Originally posted by Empire49:
NOBODY should ever wear 16, 80, 8, or 42 again. Other than that, they can stop retiring numbers.

And 21. Don't forget 21!
#21 should be retired the second Gore steps down. No one else deserves that honor as much as him.
Of the current group no one deserves it more than Gore. He went from a 3rd round pick to being the 49ers all time leading rusher. Hes also 29th on the all time NFL rushing list only Adrian Peterson and Steven Jackson on current players is ahead of him. Frank was and is the heart of this team. He played hard and was basically our whole offense back in the Alex Smith Mike Nolan era. He deserves it and should get it.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone