There are 291 users in the forums

49ers future retired numbers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Right now the 49ers have retired a total of 12 numbers.

8- Steve Young
12- John Brodie
16- Joe Montana
34- Joe Perry
37- Jimmy Johnson
39- Hugh McElhenny
42- Ronnie Lott
70- Charlie Krueger
73- Leo Nomellini
79- Bob St. Clair
80- Jerry Rice
87- Dwight Clark

When the careers of the current 49ers players are over, who do you think will be added to this list? Obviously you need enough eligible numbers to fill out a team, so we wont be able to retire everyone's number.

Right now, id say 21, 52, and 85 are locks. I also expect the next number retired will be 97, considering no one has been allowed to wear it since Young retired.

Obviously you want to hope 7, 35, 53, and 99 will gain that status someday based on potential, but its still way too early for that.

I think 81 wouldve been a lock had he left the team with any bit of class. 74 is also interesting, because I think Staley has a chance to be a HOF caliber T if he stays healthy, but that was Fred Dean's old number, whos already in the HOF.
64 should be retired.
21 and 52 only, at present.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
B.Y. 97…
Gore 21..
Craig 32..
My Bad I hit the wrong number for Craig..33
[ Edited by dugo on Dec 28, 2013 at 4:13 AM ]
i think they stop retiring numbers after this generation of players and just start putting them in the ring of honor...it's going to get to the point that we'll run outta numbers.
what would 94 have to do to get to this status? and how much longer would he have to play for us?
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
i think they stop retiring numbers after this generation of players and just start putting them in the ring of honor...it's going to get to the point that we'll run outta numbers.

This is so true, they need to STOP retiring numbers and start using every number again. I never liked the idea of numbers being retired. If they want to honor a past legend player, they should have them be honorary captains at the coin flip and the sidelines but let all numbers be worn. enough is enough. pretty soon no numbers will be available. Ridiculous actually.
21, 85, 52, 94, we are gonna run out of numbers!
DaveWilcox is right....#64 should be retired.....A Hall of Famer.....abso-fu kin-lutely !!!

I think you may see less numbers retired because teams have been far too liberal with retiring numbers. There are only so many numbers for teams to use. :)
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This is so true, they need to STOP retiring numbers and start using every number again. I never liked the idea of numbers being retired. If they want to honor a past legend player, they should have them be honorary captains at the coin flip and the sidelines but let all numbers be worn. enough is enough. pretty soon no numbers will be available. Ridiculous actually.

leave the retired numbers retired and just stop retiring anymore. 12 of 99 are already retired. probably 4-5 more will bet retired after this generation is over. then they should stop.
81 for Rashaun Woods.
4 -Lee
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

leave the retired numbers retired and just stop retiring anymore. 12 of 99 are already retired. probably 4-5 more will bet retired after this generation is over. then they should stop.

Just start using numbers in the 100s
Share 49ersWebzone