There are 173 users in the forums

Is the big hit worth the risk of the flag?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is the big hit worth the risk of the flag?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Big hits just come natural, they've been doing it all their lives and all of a sudden some dumb ass NFL Commissioner wants them to tone it down. Don't hit high, don't hit low, no helmet to helmet but alter the way you make a correct tackle and now put the defender in greater risk of serious injury.
It's ridiculous to suggest that Whitner should stop making legal plays, in favor of making weaker-looking legal plays. If the referees are going to throw a flag for legal plays, there's no guarantee what we change them to will pass muster, either.
I'll take a flag over a big hit any day of the week! f**k the commish!
It's all about context:

On a crucial drive, on 3rd and long, in the 4th quarter: No
In the beginning of the game, on an early down, to set the tone: Maybe
knock em out
The way they call the hits you might as well go head hunting and make sure the dude doesn't get up if your going to get flagged for it anyway.
I don't think you can coach a big hitter not to hit. What I've noticed is that most big hits are called in space. The same contact can happen with a ball carrier hitting the line of scrimmage and nothing is called. Watch Patrick or Whitner plugging the hole in the 49ers-Falcons game and delivering a huge hit and nothing is called. The injuries and resulting lawsuits from big hits has changed the game. As soon as the owners profits are affected the results become rules changing.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

next play:

When I read the thread title, these plays immediately came to mind.

"Sometimes you have to take the 15."

-Ronnie Lott
I've posted this before, but it's still relevant:

New "NFL's Most Textbook Tackles and Softest Hits" DVD Selling Poorly
DJ Gallo

One week after the NFL released its "Most Textbook Tackles and Softest Hits" DVD, 60 minutes of gentle football action set to the music of Enya, sales have yet to crack the one dozen mark.

"It's not what we probably hoped for as far as sales go," said commissioner Roger Goodell. "But I don't see this so much as a profit-maker, but as an educational tool to inform football fans of where we intend to take the game."

The defenses of the Buccaneers, Bills and Vikings are featured prominently in the footage, as they attempt to tackle opponents around their shoes, softly push them towards the sidelines or politely request they fall to the ground. Dolphins running back Reggie Bush is also seen frequently throughout the DVD running out of bounds. No Steelers, Ravens or 49ers players appear.

"Most Textbook Tackles and Softest Hits" is the league's attempt to pick up where its popular former VHS series — featuring titles such as "NFL's Greatest Hits" and "NFL's Hardest Hits: The Best of Thunder and Destruction" — left off, but without glorifying violence or contact or speed or toughness or strength or any of the other things that make football popular.

Despite the poor sales for "NFL's Most Textbook Tackles and Softest Hits," the league has no plans to delay its upcoming DVD releases: "Roger Goodell's Greatest Fines and Suspensions" and "Hey! Flag Football is Fun, Don't You Think?".

http://www.sportspickle.com/2012/05/new-nfls-most-textbook-tackles-and-softest-hits-dvd-selling-poorly
[ Edited by swayze on Dec 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM ]

I miss Goldson!

You miss tackles when you are concered bout where to hit'em Witner and Ried are THEE CLEANEST safetys
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I miss Goldson!

I don't!
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I miss Goldson!

I don't!

Yea, Reid is already better than Goldson, even though he had his worst game Monday night.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

next play:

When I read the thread title, these plays immediately came to mind.

"Sometimes you have to take the 15."

-Ronnie Lott

Yep. Thats right.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
depends on the situation, but yes, a big hit can demoralize a player and even the entire offense. Well worth the penalty at times.
Share 49ersWebzone