There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from the Atlanta Falcons game coaches film

What was the audible when Alex mimicked shooting a bow/arrow?
Originally posted by SoCold:
Vernon still can't remember where to line up

I can understand though why it would be difficult. He's playing 3 different positions with 3 different route tree's with different places to line up based off of what position he's checked in to.
Originally posted by kray28:
What was the audible when Alex mimicked shooting a bow/arrow?

each playbook has different hand signals. Peyton changes his almost week to week so that no defense can clue in to his hand signals. If you ever watch the NFL film on the 1998 wild card game, the game with the "catch 2". Favre, because he was running a WCO and the 9ers were running the same WCO used a "dummy" hand signal to make a corner jump on a double move. He used a hand signal for a curl route, which the corner, knowing the same system, knew it was the hand signal for a curl and tried to jump it. But, Favre had told his receiver that he would "dummy" the call. I'm sure they've changed their hand signals since then.
Great post jonnydel! I would like to add besides Ryan playing a great game by his reads and getting the ball out very fast that Atlanta was playing with their stars on offense healthy for the first time in a while. Roddy White was playing with a bum leg most of the year, he's healthy now and it shows how he helps Atlanta's offense open up.
[ Edited by fister30 on Dec 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM ]
Originally posted by fister30:
Great post jonnydel! I would like to add besides Ryan playing a great game by his reads and getting the ball out very fast that Atlanta was playing with their stars on offense healthy for the first time in a while. Roddy White was playing with a bum leg most of the year, he's healthy now and it shows how he helps Atlanta's offense open up.

very true, and it showed
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Kaep needs to get better at looking through his progressions instead of locking onto one wr. this s**t is going to hurt us in the playoffs

Are you even reading this thread?

Why read the thread when your intention is to just hate on Kap?

Reading only ruins things.
Originally posted by thl408:
Running double moves is difficult, but if done well, it can kill man coverage. I wanted to highlight Crabs and how he used some precise route running to create separation. Coupled with anticipation throws from Kap, this combination is unstoppable in single man coverage.

Below: This is play #13 in the thumbnails, but what I drew for Crabs in that thumbnail doesn't do the route justice, so I had to draw it again. Crabs runs a double move, corner to out, pattern. The 49ers had been running a few smash route combinations (more on smash later) earlier in the game and this route that Crabs runs is using the smash concept (corner route ) as a setup.

Below: Crabs will first sell the corner route as he drives directly towards the outside hip of the CB. Kap is seen already pulling the trigger.

Below: Once the CB has his hips turned downfield, the final cut in Crab's route takes him to the out pattern and separation is created. More separation is actually created, not shown on this pic.

The play: Double move + anticipation throws kills man coverage.

On the very next pass play, a triple move(!) as Gruden called it a 'Dino' pattern on the telecast and calls it out as a post-corner-post, mentioning how hard of a route it is to execute. Jonnydel breaks this play down in post #34. I wanted to concentrate just on Crab's route as I don't think jonnydel's drawing of the route did it justice .
Below: Crab's actual pattern.

The play:

Boldin, for all his savvy and smarts, is not the route runner Crabs is. It's all about not losing speed coming in and out of the cut(s). As Crabs starts to beat man coverage consistently, I can see the 22 personnel get very effective as either Crabs or VD will be in single coverage going against a single high safety.

This is awesome.

The few people saying we should let Crabtree walk and just keep Boldin need to sit down and read/look/watch this closely. We need to keep this man!
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's what happened on the White TD, I'm not 100% sure on the defense we were running, but I'm making my best guess based off of what all of the defenders are doing.

Here the Falcons take a page from our playbook. They go 22 personnel. I think we're going to run a cover 4 quarters defense. We end up dropping 8 into coverage because they had been running so many short, quick passes against us. This is what I mean when I say D-coord. will usually play coverage against short, quick passing.

ATL runs play action keeping 8 in to block in a "max" protect. Reid came down on the fun fake just slightly, but, I think Whitner jumped worse. You can see Whitner turn and sprint to try and get back to his zone. I think it's cover 4 because the 2 corners are playing deep quarter, Reid never really goes to a single high and we have 4 LB's playing zone underneath. I'm pretty sure Whitner blew his zone.

You see Whitner's really running towards a zone, not Gonzales, Reid thinks he's in position but I don't think he expected White to have the over the top speed, he just gets beat. But, in reality, I think we should've had Whitner deep in that area too. Here's how they beat us deep.

So, it looks like Whitner is starting to fall back into his same pass defense fails as last season? He had been playing pretty good it seemed, but this play and a couple plays from the TB game (Wright TD especially) are sticking out.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
So, it looks like Whitner is starting to fall back into his same pass defense fails as last season? He had been playing pretty good it seemed, but this play and a couple plays from the TB game (Wright TD especially) are sticking out.

Yeah, Whitner is an aggressive safety, he hits hard and does a good job of recognition most of the time. But, like any DB he's going to get burned from time to time. He's asked to do a lot of things in our defense and he does most of them very well.
Now jonnydel is adding wco playbook pages!!!!! This keeps getting better!!! Poster of the year!!!! To echo many here thank you for your contributions. Go niners!
[ Edited by domesik on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM ]
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Here's what happened on the White TD, I'm not 100% sure on the defense we were running, but I'm making my best guess based off of what all of the defenders are doing.

Here the Falcons take a page from our playbook. They go 22 personnel. I think we're going to run a cover 4 quarters defense. We end up dropping 8 into coverage because they had been running so many short, quick passes against us. This is what I mean when I say D-coord. will usually play coverage against short, quick passing.

ATL runs play action keeping 8 in to block in a "max" protect. Reid came down on the fun fake just slightly, but, I think Whitner jumped worse. You can see Whitner turn and sprint to try and get back to his zone. I think it's cover 4 because the 2 corners are playing deep quarter, Reid never really goes to a single high and we have 4 LB's playing zone underneath. I'm pretty sure Whitner blew his zone.

You see Whitner's really running towards a zone, not Gonzales, Reid thinks he's in position but I don't think he expected White to have the over the top speed, he just gets beat. But, in reality, I think we should've had Whitner deep in that area too. Here's how they beat us deep.

No, whitner started in the box. That was 100% Reid's responsibility.
Originally posted by xela510:
I didnt go through the whole thread but I did have a question. I know he was in for a few plays and didnt get any catches or targets but how did Patton look out there? Did he ever beat his man and get open?

Well, all I can say is, I didn't even notice him when he was on the field..... I noticed they were running a 3 receiver set, but, he didn't stand out at all......
Originally posted by natrone06:
No, whitner started in the box. That was 100% Reid's responsibility.

Whitner's only 3 yards closer to the line than Reid. Look at the play as a whole, look at the spacing of the LB's in zone coverage, they're not playing a 5 underneath zone coverage, if they are, then why is Whitner turning and running full speed back? Whitner is playing so close to the LOS because, from his view, the closest receiver to threatening his zone is a TE on the LOS.
Whitner's only 3 yards closer to the line than Reid. Look at the play as a whole, look at the spacing of the LB's in zone coverage, they're not playing a 5 underneath zone coverage, if they are, then why is Whitner turning and running full speed back? Whitner is playing so close to the LOS because, from his view, the closest receiver to threatening his zone is a TE on the LOS.

Seems like a serious breakdown on Whitner's part.

1. Biting that hard on a play fake. Seems he should have had some clue that it wasn't a run as Gonzalez was blowing by him?

2. Thinking he could recover that amount of ground in such a a small amount of time and get back into his zone. It seems by the time he turns around to retreat, he'd have been better off just blitzing Ryan.
The way I disagree though is that your assumption on an AR play by Kaep's body position when he drops back doesn't take into account pre-snap reads. Also, just because he looks one way on a route doesn't mean the other side wasn't available, or even that there weren't 2nd and 3rd options on that side of the field.

A LOT of the WCO passing game are half field reads. What I mean, is that the QB is told to "pick a side' with a progression for whichever side he chooses, 1-3. This is the type of play where I said Kaep had a 1-2, 1-2 side progression.

Here's why I disagree on the amount of "AR plays we run:

This is from Jon Gruden's playbook:

Now, if this play hits the Z on the slant you would call this an AR1 play. However, if you look at the playbook, you see there are 5 eligible receivers, note the qb is told to "pick a side" with his 1-2 progression and the HB being the outlet. It's a half field read. The WCO is full of plays like this that are half field, pick a side, reads. What I was saying about the Boldin curl play, is that, like this play, the primary and secondary reads are to the slant and quick out, but, because of the pre-snap read, he moves to his 3rd option to Boldin on the curl. It looks like he goes straight to Boldin by play design, however, to me, it looks like he made a pre-snap adjustment.

To a degree, yes, the body position and head angle can often times telegraph the design...but I also highlighted that the routes run by the non-AR's also give it away at times, as well as the AR's "passion" coming off the LOS (knowing he's the AR). I think your focus is on defensive alignments, pre snap alignments and what we "should" be doing with the assumption the mass majority of the plays are PS with progression reads (WCO mostly, right?). My assertion is that in an AR passing game, it doesn't matter WHAT the defensive alignment is, execution is the key...I watch the entire play as a "whole..." the entire "design" before I make my best judgement. Gruden himself said we mostly run 4 different offenses here...some WCO, some Pistol, some jumbo formations and PA's off these same jumbo formations. Tirico also went on to justify how Roman has "manufactured" ways to get Boldin and VD the ball. This is mostly in line with a team AR passing concept not a progression read PS (WCO or Spread) passing offense.

That said, neither you or I know if we are truly running a WCO or AR passing game the majority of the time (and perhaps it doesn't matter as much with a full arsenal now). It appears CK is given freedom to read the defensive alignments (when there is more than 5 seconds on the clock - another AR tip) pre snap and either stay with the play or audible out to the next. What we don't know if both plays are AR's, PS's or a combo or from pass to run or vice versa.

I already conceded in the post above that what I would probably see as an AR1, it may very well be an PS play (and vice versa) and that first read was the best option (no need to look to the next progression). I also conceded that since Crabtree returned, it appears we're running more PS plays and this game in particular, CK seemed to be coming to the line much quicker with much more time on the clock! THAT is a sign to me that we're slowly moving from the manufactured passing game to a more pro-style passing game where the onus falls more and more on CK. And I'm hoping that's a good thing! It wasn't in the first half but certainly was in the second.