There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from the Atlanta Falcons game coaches film

Kaep needs to get better at looking through his progressions instead of locking onto one wr. this s**t is going to hurt us in the playoffs
Here's what I mean about a bad call:

we're locked up in man-man coverage with a single high safety and a lurk to protect the middle of the field(where ATL loves to go in the endzone). You see Gonzales is throwing Whitner to the ground here.

You see how he's thrown Whitner to the ground leaving himself open in the endzone as the rush is closing in on Ryan.

the endzone doesn't give a great view, but you can see Gonzales positioning his hip to shove Whitner

The endzone angle didn't capture gonzales, but you can see he's lurched back throwing Whitner to the ground. If Gonzales doesn't throw Whitner down, he gets sacked.

How this wasn't offensive PI I don't know.....
Originally posted by wailers15:
Kaep needs to get better at looking through his progressions instead of locking onto one wr. this s**t is going to hurt us in the playoffs

can you give me an example??? I didn't see any of that from the coaches film.
Here's what happened on the White TD, I'm not 100% sure on the defense we were running, but I'm making my best guess based off of what all of the defenders are doing.

Here the Falcons take a page from our playbook. They go 22 personnel. I think we're going to run a cover 4 quarters defense. We end up dropping 8 into coverage because they had been running so many short, quick passes against us. This is what I mean when I say D-coord. will usually play coverage against short, quick passing.

ATL runs play action keeping 8 in to block in a "max" protect. Reid came down on the fun fake just slightly, but, I think Whitner jumped worse. You can see Whitner turn and sprint to try and get back to his zone. I think it's cover 4 because the 2 corners are playing deep quarter, Reid never really goes to a single high and we have 4 LB's playing zone underneath. I'm pretty sure Whitner blew his zone.

You see Whitner's really running towards a zone, not Gonzales, Reid thinks he's in position but I don't think he expected White to have the over the top speed, he just gets beat. But, in reality, I think we should've had Whitner deep in that area too. Here's how they beat us deep.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Cant remember when this play was, but I took this shot of my TV. Was hoping you could break it down for me or at least provide better film. Pretty sure it was the beginning of the third or something. I believe he threw to VD in the middle of the field into double coverage and luckily they called a horrible PI. Even Rice said it was a horrible call. I thought he had these guys 1 on 1 and should of went there instead of to the middle of the field. But I could be wrong

The play looked like we were in better position than we were from the broadcast.

Here the defensive look ATL gave at the snap of the ball. They disguise this play really well. They give the 2 deep safety look over a cover 2 zone, which is exactly the coverage we are looking for with this play. It's an in/out read on the 2 receiver side with VD and Boldin with Gore being the outlet. But, ATL comes with a crazy double corner zone blitz. In reality, they are playing cover 3 zone, the MLB becomes the free safety and the safeties move to the CB deep 3rd. The DT's drop into LB middle coverage with the OLB's dropping into outside coverage. It looks like an all-out blitz, but really, it's a 4 man rush.

We run a play action fake in case they are running a tampa 2 coverage. But, this causes Kaep to turn his back to the defense. This is what keeps him from being able to see the blitz from the defense right away.

You see how all the defenders are in position on the receivers for their streaks. They have separation but the defenders are able to keep their eyes on Kaep from their zones to jump any routes. If he tries to force the ball into one of those guys, it's gonna get picked.

Kaep has to escape the pocket from the blitzing CB and Gore has to stay in pass pro instead of his checkdown because of the other corner.

You see what Kaep saw the moment he turned back around from the play fake. He see's a corner running full speed at him and the DB's in position. He does escape the pocket and almost makes an incredible play to Davis, Boone is called for a penalty cause he tried to chase the DT into coverage thinking he was supposed to be blocking the guy.

Fantastic job! Much appreciated. I envy your skills.

You see Whitner's really running towards a zone, not Gonzales, Reid thinks he's in position but I don't think he expected White to have the over the top speed, he just gets beat. But, in reality, I think we should've had Whitner deep in that area too. Here's how they beat us deep.

I felt he was in good/decent position, Ryan just put the ball right where it needed to be. He threw to a spot that only White could get too, a "little" to the middle of the field. Reminded me of what Manning often does so well, throws to a spot and lets his receivers adjust..
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Dec 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

I felt he was in good/decent position, Ryan just put the ball right where it needed to be. He threw to a spot that only White could get too, a "little" to the middle of the field. Reminded me of what Manning often does so well, throws to a spot and lets his receivers adjust..

excellent point as well. Kinda what I meant in the OP about Ryan playing a really good game.

Are you even reading this thread?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Here's then how our successful passing out of our heavy sets set-up the biggest offensive play of the game.

You see the "22" personnel, with Boldin being the only WR on the field. But, because we had passed so effectively out of this formation/personnel on the previous 2 possessions ATL runs a 2 deep safety defense.

Because they have 2 deep safeties, it's only a 7 man box against 8 possible blockers. That's a win for the offense any day.

We're going to run a power off the TE. Gruden would call this "96 power" Iupati is going to pull and kick out the end man on the LOS, Dixon leads up into the hole on the LB

The O-line walls off the D-line, while Goodwin and Staley get to the 2nd level on the LB's. Iupati destroys the little corner trying to come up in run support and Dixon gets a good block on the LB

Hunter gets through the hole and ends up 1-1 with the safety. This was a great play design and execution after setting the defense up for this look.

Hunter only has to make one man miss and he's off for a 45 yard gain.

This is how Roman stayed one step ahead of the defense during the 2nd half.

Showed replay of this play to my daughter and son and they were laughing how the corner ducks when he sees Iupati pulling to block him. I thought the corner was blitzing but Roman had called a run play and caught the defense off guard?
awesome job buddy! love reading these threads.
Good Job breaking down film. Nice job man, pretty accurate and informative.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
excellent point as well. Kinda what I meant in the OP about Ryan playing a really good game.

I agree and White knew where the ball would be thrown and he pushed off on Reid just enough to get separation.

Did you even read the thread?
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran

can you give me an example??? I didn't see any of that from the coaches film.

Lol! Ignore the parrots jonnydel! Great analysis!
Here's what I mean about a bad call:

we're locked up in man-man coverage with a single high safety and a lurk to protect the middle of the field(where ATL loves to go in the endzone). You see Gonzales is throwing Whitner to the ground here.

You see how he's thrown Whitner to the ground leaving himself open in the endzone as the rush is closing in on Ryan.

the endzone doesn't give a great view, but you can see Gonzales positioning his hip to shove Whitner

The endzone angle didn't capture gonzales, but you can see he's lurched back throwing Whitner to the ground. If Gonzales doesn't throw Whitner down, he gets sacked.

How this wasn't offensive PI I don't know.....

It is called the star treatment...we haven't seen it here in many years...you are forgiven for forgetting...lol