LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Analysis from the Atlanta Falcons game coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Many thanks to Jonnydel and thl408 and others for your great insights and picture/Gif breakdowns.

I have a question about a play that I think was the second 9er offensive play of the 4th quarter. The play looks like a regular pistol play where Kap is choosing to hand off to Dixon on an inside dive or taking off with the ball himself running to the outside. He decided to keep the ball. What made the play look different to me is that Hunter was lined up behind Dixon at the start of the play and he runs to the right with Kap and then as the play develops it sure looks like it turns into an "option-to-the-trailing back" play (I'm not sure what that is properly called). If I remember correctly, it seems like the Falcons might have had an extra cornerback or a safety spying on Kap but who ended up being drawn outside of Kap's running lane by Kap faking a pitch out to Hunter. Kap gained a few yards on the play. Is this a new wrinkle to the pistol - having an option to a trailing back? (Sorry if a I mucked up some of the terminology.)

It's very similar to the dreaded Ginn option fumbled play against the Rams last year. It's a read option pitch play. One of the reasons I think Atlanta blitzed so much off the edges in the first half was to contain the read option - because it destroyed them the year before, and also to confuse Kaep in the passing game. When we ran the read option in the first half we tried to spread the field with 3 receivers, but Kassim Osgood had a terrible block on the DB who made the play. In the 2nd half, we ran the read option with Dixon, the DE shot down on the dive, and then Kaep took off right, this time, with Hunter as a pitch option. Kaep was outrunning the LB with the CB closing in from the outside. The idea with the pitch play is the it puts the outside defender in a touch spot; if he takes the QB, you pitch, if he takes the pitch man the QB keeps it. To stop the pitch play you have to have a lot of speed from the LB or DE position. The CB took a "half way" approach with trying to get in position to stop both the QB or the pitch. When this happened Kaep faked a pitch, which caused the DB to hesitate just slightly, allowing for Kaep to break through. That's how we got the positive yards.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
This has been my complaint all year. Look at how astoundingly simple these pass combinations are! Defenses can cover this no problem.

1. Look how many straight routes are run with BENDS at the top - not sharp cuts.
2. You do the 49ers a favor by showing the cuts angles, when in fact our receivers often run arching, bending routes - again, easy to cover.

Just about the only receiver asked to run sharp cuts and double moves is Crabs - why? Why aren't the other receivers required to run sharp routes to get separation. Sharp cuts are the only way to play a timing pass scheme - maybe CK isn't ready for that yet??

Regardless, the sophistication of our pass game is sorely lacking.

A lot of it has to do with the defense that ATL was running/what we thought they would be running. Because ATL ran a lot of underneath zone coverage, we were trying to stretch the zones vertically. It opened up some passing lanes while at the same time forces the LB's to play back a step or two opening up the run.
Originally posted by tondiman:
Hey Jonnydel, thanks for all the input, but i have a request! Since you've been looking at past games, and since we are locked in the playoffs, have you thought about doing the same thing but instead of analyzing past games you make a game plan for one of the playoff games? I know we don't know who we'll play yet, but when we do, maybe you could pull out some tactics and plays that you think would work for that game (hint hint Seattle) ;)

Just an idea.. thanks again!

Good point. I think from here on out I'll include some breakdowns in my scouting reports, kind of like "NFL Playbook" does to show what I'm talking about.
Here's an example of how teams make the mistake of thinking you should spread out the Card's defense.

You see Seattle tries to spread AZ out by running an empty back set. In counter, AZ runs a cover -0 while planning man up on all the receivers.

AZ's corners aren't the most physical guys, but they're very quick, they play a "bump" look, but don't try and press the receivers. Instead they play close and use their speed and quickness to jump on routes.

Wilson tries to hit the outside receiver, but the window to the sideilne is pretty small. It falls incomplete.

Here's what I meant when I said they love to bring Washington and Dansby in the "A" gaps. They put a lot of pressure on the O-line because they have 4 guys on 3 O-lineman. Also what I meant when I said they "overload" the middle. They do this a LOT.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by tondiman:
Hey Jonnydel, thanks for all the input, but i have a request! Since you've been looking at past games, and since we are locked in the playoffs, have you thought about doing the same thing but instead of analyzing past games you make a game plan for one of the playoff games? I know we don't know who we'll play yet, but when we do, maybe you could pull out some tactics and plays that you think would work for that game (hint hint Seattle) ;)

Just an idea.. thanks again!

Good point. I think from here on out I'll include some breakdowns in my scouting reports, kind of like "NFL Playbook" does to show what I'm talking about.

Cool! It would be interesting to see how you think we could get by seattle's defense, and stop their offense.. looking forward to it!
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Many thanks to Jonnydel and thl408 and others for your great insights and picture/Gif breakdowns.

I have a question about a play that I think was the second 9er offensive play of the 4th quarter. The play looks like a regular pistol play where Kap is choosing to hand off to Dixon on an inside dive or taking off with the ball himself running to the outside. He decided to keep the ball. What made the play look different to me is that Hunter was lined up behind Dixon at the start of the play and he runs to the right with Kap and then as the play develops it sure looks like it turns into an "option-to-the-trailing back" play (I'm not sure what that is properly called). If I remember correctly, it seems like the Falcons might have had an extra cornerback or a safety spying on Kap but who ended up being drawn outside of Kap's running lane by Kap faking a pitch out to Hunter. Kap gained a few yards on the play. Is this a new wrinkle to the pistol - having an option to a trailing back? (Sorry if a I mucked up some of the terminology.)

I remember that play...and that little fake pitch back helped Kaep get a extra yardage...but man those are dangerous plays.

anyway we did something similar with Kaep's very first regular season play time against the Jets.

Here's what I meant about "Peterson Island"

Against Seattle, they run an 8 man box with single high coverage. But, you see the way AZ runs it most of the time they have the high safety shaded away from Peterson's side. Peterson is on the wide side of the field and the safety is playing on the short side half. This leaves a LOT of room for the WR to work against Peterson. But, Peterson is that good, he covers his man the whole way. This is what they mean when they say a corner is left "on an island" because they're all alone in a sea of grass/turf.

The very next play, they do the same thing. Peterson is left on an island.

and again....

Against us....
Here's an example of AZ's front.

You see how AZ runs with 3 DT's and 2 DE's. Notice how they have guys in position on both outside gaps. The only place to run is between the guards, into the LB's. This is why I see us trying to run some traps up inside.

You see how AZ runs with 3 DT's and 2 DE's. Notice how they have guys in position on both outside gaps. The only place to run is between the guards, into the LB's. This is why I see us trying to run some traps up inside.

you're smarter than roman. His analysis would be: "we won and they lost."

Against Seattle, they run an 8 man box with single high coverage. But, you see the way AZ runs it most of the time they have the high safety shaded away from Peterson's side. Peterson is on the wide side of the field and the safety is playing on the short side half. This leaves a LOT of room for the WR to work against Peterson. But, Peterson is that good, he covers his man the whole way. This is what they mean when they say a corner is left "on an island" because they're all alone in a sea of grass/turf.

and again....

Against us....

And that's why Vernon Davis burned them for 8 grabs for 180yds and 2 TDs. I expect we get them out of that single high safety look(cover 1) a lot more in this matchup. Because if they don't make some adjustments Vernon is going to have another monster game.

Originally posted by 49erTravis:

and again....

Against us....

And that's why Vernon Davis burned them for 8 grabs for 180yds and 2 TDs. I expect we get them out of that single high safety look(cover 1) a lot more in this matchup. Because if they don't make some adjustments Vernon is going to have another monster game.
Exactly, that's why I said in my scouting report that we'll probably line whoever Peterson is shadowing up away from Vernon to try and isolate Vernon on a LB or S across the field, that's how we got him open last time. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see Peterson on Davis if we go 3 wide, also why I say we will probably run a lot of "21" personnel.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Though Frank Gore did run for over 100 yards last time, and AZ is the #1 ranked run D in the league. So he did something right....
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Though Frank Gore did run for over 100 yards last time, and AZ is the #1 ranked run D in the league. So he did something right....

The difference is that 49ers use many formations in the 1st game and confused the AZ defense which I expect the same to happen. With Crabtree back I don't see us losing on top of the 49ers lead the league in pts off turnovers which Seattle seem to lack
I see us running a play like this:

If Peterson shades Boldin like he did last game, I see Boldin over in the "Z"(He's on the "Y" side). With VD being the 2nd TE and MC being the "X" or noted as "ZE".

Because the safety essentially plays deep half away from Peterson this would give in out/in read for Kaep on the safety and corner. Note how he instructs the "x" to go under first. This will cause the Corner to dip in on the "X" route and open up the corner for VD. This, essentially, puts VD 1-1 with the safety towards a corner route. If they run "man" he's 1-1 with a LB to the corner with the deep middle safety being pulled away on the post. If it's man and the safety jumps the corner, Crab should be open over the middle. If both are taken away Kaep has Gore as a checkdown.
This is a little bit of a side note. But, since I'm here. I have to say I prefer SFO to the Oakland airport. I'm on a layover in Oakland right now. Having been in SFO for a couple layovers and for the last Cards game, I much prefer SFO...... just sayin'
Share 49ersWebzone