There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from the Atlanta Falcons game coaches film

We are lucky as hell to have someone as knowledgeable as you Jonnydel to shine the light of truth on what actually goes down on the field. The broadcast views are terrible for breaking down plays, thanks man.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Hey johnnydel, I was wondering if you can see on film if Patton was able to get separation from the defender last Monday on the snaps he had on offense. Even though Kap didn't look his way, just wondering if he's quick and good enough to get some separation and should be looked at by Kap as another weapon.

Patton was in on 12 passing plays. 3-4 he was running deep routes into a zone(2 streaks and a couple deep curls) Both, the zone coverage was over him. He ran a rub route to get Boldin open on Boldin's big over the shoulder catch early in the game. A couple times he got a little seperation, a couple times he got zero seperation.

Not much to go off of to analyze how he did without knowing exactly how they want him to run the routes and how he's coached. Sorry I can't give much more insight.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We are lucky as hell to have someone as knowledgeable as you Jonnydel to shine the light of truth on what actually goes down on the field. The broadcast views are terrible for breaking down plays, thanks man.

Thanks
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Hey johnnydel, I was wondering if you can see on film if Patton was able to get separation from the defender last Monday on the snaps he had on offense. Even though Kap didn't look his way, just wondering if he's quick and good enough to get some separation and should be looked at by Kap as another weapon.

Patton was in on 12 passing plays. 3-4 he was running deep routes into a zone(2 streaks and a couple deep curls) Both, the zone coverage was over him. He ran a rub route to get Boldin open on Boldin's big over the shoulder catch early in the game. A couple times he got a little seperation, a couple times he got zero seperation.

Not much to go off of to analyze how he did without knowing exactly how they want him to run the routes and how he's coached. Sorry I can't give much more insight.

That's good enough analysis for me for a limited amount of snaps Patton had in the game. Thx for the response, much appreciate it and keep up the good work. Go Niners!
The smash is a route combination the 49ers use often when trying to bust zone coverage. Against SEA, they used it at least 5 times. Against TB, that went majority man coverage, the 49ers used it twice. Against ATL, who mixed their coverage around, the 49ers used it on plays: 6, 10, 12, 17 (thumbnails post #13 of this thread). Only 21 pass attempts were accounted for. If a defense plays zone against the 49ers, they will need to defend this route combination. I thought ATL did a good job of mixing man and zone so the smash had mixed results.

Outside WR can run a hitch/curl/in route. Inside WR runs a corner route to vertically stretch the sideline CB.


#6 Below: 49ers use a mesh(rub) on one side and a smash concept on the other.


Below: ATL rushes 6. Kap identifies the blitz (man coverage) and looks to the mesh as his first read (man coverage buster).


The play: Kap sees the numbers of the CB so he stands tall and puts it up for a back shoulder throw, a perfect one. The smash concept was properly not looked to by Kap.



#10 Below: This play broken down by jonnydel in post #27. I originally thought the playcall was bad against the defense, but it was not as they ran this against a tampa2 (Cover3, 4 zone underneath). In theory, this playcall will bust the zone coverage.


Below: I'm going to be a bit more critical of Kap as I thought this was the window to throw to and he actually pump fakes (thought about it). The CB squatted on Crabs' hitch. This should open an area for Vance to run into behind the CB, and for Kap to throw to. The deep safety breaks on the ball and would have made it a catch with a quick hit for contact, a bang bang play. Kap didn't take the risk, and got 6 yards on a checkdown.


The play: Perhaps if Kap looked to his left first (instead of his right), he would have seen the CB tight on Crabs. Instead, once he looks to his left, he then hesitates a bit and the window is closed by the safety identifying the corner route and closing in. Good pass protection to allow a 5th read.



#12 Below: This is the play Kap under threw VD, or VD can't catch a low pass - depends how we look at it. It's a good playcall here as ATL goes zone coverage.


Below: Not sure what the DB (arrow) is looking at as he allows VD to get behind him.


The play: I think this is zone coverage as the ATL defenders don't follow on the criss cross, and also by that CB that was peeking into the backfield. The 49ers greatly exaggerate the hitch to pull the CB in close to allow the corner routes room to work. (Patton is running the corner route at the bottom of the screen). So the playcall got a guy open. Just didn't execute on the throw and catch.


#17 Below: 49ers add a wrinkle to the smash and adds Gore's swing route to further stretch the sideline defender.


Below: The LB (at midfield) takes a false step towards Vance on the corner route. The LB (on the 46 yard line) is giving room to Gore to stay near Boldin. Because Kap has rolled to his right, the throw to Boldin is short. Coupled with Kap's arm, only the slightest separation is necessary.


The play: 49ers love to smash zone coverage.
[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM ]
Here are Kap's dropbacks that did not result in a pass attempt (sacks and scrambles). When watching the game live, there were plays where I thought he had time to make a throw, but didn't.

1st Quarter
Below: Flood the left side


The play: It's zone coverage and Hunter is open in the shallow flat due to the smash + flood, but an 8 yard scramble is just as good.




Below: This is a quick hitter throw due to down and distance.


The play: Check out the 2 ATL defenders circled in blue as the perfectly defend the rub combination. Kap looks to Boldin but it's a tight throw. Goodwin thought the play was over. Kap sacked for -2.



2nd Quarter
Below: Here's the play where Kilgore was running a route. It's an all out sell on the run to get VD isolated. I think jonnydel mentioned that Tuku + Gore blew a pass block and never allowed Kap to pull the trigger.


The play: The idea wasn't horrible. It's the play action for a big gain some of us want. One busted block blows up any chance for a big play.



Below: 49ers use a bunch and that's where Kap will look to first.


The play: ATL did a great job at sorting out the bunch and defending it properly. I think there was some pattern matching as they man up on whoever enters their zone. The CB blitz (bottom of screen) finally reaches Kap and he scrambles for 6 yards.



3rd Quarter
Below: 49ers fake the smash on each side of the field and go to a skinny post instead, hoping to catch ATL jumping the corner route.


The play: It's man coverage so there are no zone defenders to trick. The only smash is on Kap.


Below: This is Kap's big 22 yard scramble. He will first look to his left at the short out to VD. ATL will rush 5.


Below: Kap thinks about the short out as he starts his windup.


Below: Kap pulls back on his release as he sees a DT get by Iupati. The CB is seen reacting to what essentially is a pump fake. This frees up the deep route (Boldin), but Kap is pressured and sees a running lane.


The play: Good blocks in the middle of the field gets Kaps some extra yards.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by natrone06:
No, whitner started in the box. That was 100% Reid's responsibility.

Whitner's only 3 yards closer to the line than Reid. Look at the play as a whole, look at the spacing of the LB's in zone coverage, they're not playing a 5 underneath zone coverage, if they are, then why is Whitner turning and running full speed back? Whitner is playing so close to the LOS because, from his view, the closest receiver to threatening his zone is a TE on the LOS.

You may have missed it but do you have any theories how Whitner always ends up on the dynamic TE's and bigger slot WR's (like Boldin) in the RZ/EZ? And why it's not Reid or even someone like Bowman/Willis contesting them at the LOS? Is it something in the design and assignments or things the offense is doing to isolate him? Either way, it's an automatic mismatch every time and WELL documented history over the past 3 or 4 years now. Fangio?

I'm not sure if it's so much Fangio's design, as it is the offense attacking him. Many of us remember Boldin's TD on him in the super bowl, although, I don't really blame that on him, we were running a cover 2 and they stole a good play design from GB to beat us on that play. This time, because we've given that up, we ran a cover 1 lurk with the LB, this mean Whitner would be 1-1 with the TE. Fangio has run a variety of different schemes in the endzone, just the way the play has turned out a couple times.

Cool and thanks for the reply; was wondering if you happen to see anything that stood out to you...a pattern.

Not really, I think it's also a result of being strong in other areas as well. We don't give up a lot of fade routes, so the offense really has to try and beat us over the middle.

Agreed and inside that RZ, the quickest, easiest pass is right down that seam to the TE or big WR from the slot. With 13 TD's last year given up according to PFF and a few more in the playoffs (esp. the Superbowl), you'd think by now, there would be a better scheme by now...like you said, teams were targeting Whitner...perhaps Fangio can match up Reid instead? Or at least have Bowman/Willis contest the TE's or WR's at the LOS as they typically have underneath coverage as well to support Whitner and help him out. Hmmm
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Hey johnnydel, I was wondering if you can see on film if Patton was able to get separation from the defender last Monday on the snaps he had on offense. Even though Kap didn't look his way, just wondering if he's quick and good enough to get some separation and should be looked at by Kap as another weapon.

Patton did seem to get a little separation but his best play was the AR2 pick on Boldin's DB for the 20 yard gain. He was not targeted once though...mostly decoy routes.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Hey johnnydel, I was wondering if you can see on film if Patton was able to get separation from the defender last Monday on the snaps he had on offense. Even though Kap didn't look his way, just wondering if he's quick and good enough to get some separation and should be looked at by Kap as another weapon.

Patton was in on 12 passing plays. 3-4 he was running deep routes into a zone(2 streaks and a couple deep curls) Both, the zone coverage was over him. He ran a rub route to get Boldin open on Boldin's big over the shoulder catch early in the game. A couple times he got a little seperation, a couple times he got zero seperation.

Not much to go off of to analyze how he did without knowing exactly how they want him to run the routes and how he's coached. Sorry I can't give much more insight.

LOL...s/h read this first! Spot on...
Originally posted by thl408:
Here are Kap's dropbacks that did not result in a pass attempt (sacks and scrambles). When watching the game live, there were plays where I thought he had time to make a throw, but didn't.

1st Quarter
Below: Flood the left side


The play: It's zone coverage and Hunter is open in the shallow flat due to the smash + flood, but an 8 yard scramble is just as good.




Below: This is a quick hitter throw due to down and distance.


The play: Check out the 2 ATL defenders circled in blue as the perfectly defend the rub combination. Kap looks to Boldin but it's a tight throw. Goodwin thought the play was over. Kap sacked for -2.



2nd Quarter
Below: Here's the play where Kilgore was running a route. It's an all out sell on the run to get VD isolated. I think jonnydel mentioned that Tuku + Gore blew a pass block and never allowed Kap to pull the trigger.


The play: The idea wasn't horrible. It's the play action for a big gain some of us want. One busted block blows up any chance for a big play.



Below: 49ers use a bunch and that's where Kap will look to first.


The play: ATL did a great job at sorting out the bunch and defending it properly. I think there was some pattern matching as they man up on whoever enters their zone. The CB blitz (bottom of screen) finally reaches Kap and he scrambles for 6 yards.



3rd Quarter
Below: 49ers fake the smash on each side of the field and go to a skinny post instead, hoping to catch ATL jumping the corner route.


The play: It's man coverage so there are no zone defenders to trick. The only smash is on Kap.


Below: This is Kap's big 22 yard scramble. He will first look to his left at the short out to VD. ATL will rush 5.


Below: Kap thinks about the short out as he starts his windup.


Below: Kap pulls back on his release as he sees a DT get by Iupati. The CB is seen reacting to what essentially is a pump fake. This frees up the deep route (Boldin), but Kap is pressured and sees a running lane.


The play: Good blocks in the middle of the field gets Kaps some extra yards.

LOVE this set here. It really shows too how much more we went to 4 receivers+ (PS - Spread) in the second half and opened it up...put more onus on CK. CK is still hesitating on many of these plays and I'm not sure why. Despite the fact that he had a clear window to hit McDonald and instead, checked down to Gore, was a very positive sign that perhaps, with more PS plays integrated where the onus is on him in-play, he is now at least considering these short, check-down or flare-out options. Some of these will end up being positive yards on first down (huge issue for us) and others will end up being big-hitters esp. with Hunter out there.
Is anyone else a little surprised at the number of times Kap gets tripped up or turns into pressure in the pocket? I would think that someone who can run a 4.5 40 would have an easier time escaping.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Is anyone else a little surprised at the number of times Kap gets tripped up or turns into pressure in the pocket? I would think that someone who can run a 4.5 40 would have an easier time escaping.

I would say not really, because he is long legged . Obviously he's no slouch, but shiftiness is more important in the pocket than straight away speed. Compare with WIlson, he's a terror in the pocket.
Originally posted by thl408:
Yellow routes are completions. Orange are incompletions. Only the 21 passes that count on the stat sheet are shown (no scramble, no penalties).

1st Quarter



2nd Quarter



3rd Quarter



4th Quarter

This has been my complaint all year. Look at how astoundingly simple these pass combinations are! Defenses can cover this no problem.

1. Look how many straight routes are run with BENDS at the top - not sharp cuts.
2. You do the 49ers a favor by showing the cuts angles, when in fact our receivers often run arching, bending routes - again, easy to cover.

Just about the only receiver asked to run sharp cuts and double moves is Crabs - why? Why aren't the other receivers required to run sharp routes to get separation. Sharp cuts are the only way to play a timing pass scheme - maybe CK isn't ready for that yet??

Regardless, the sophistication of our pass game is sorely lacking.
Many thanks to Jonnydel and thl408 and others for your great insights and picture/Gif breakdowns.

I have a question about a play that I think was the second 9er offensive play of the 4th quarter. The play looks like a regular pistol play where Kap is choosing to hand off to Dixon on an inside dive or taking off with the ball himself running to the outside. He decided to keep the ball. What made the play look different to me is that Hunter was lined up behind Dixon at the start of the play and he runs to the right with Kap and then as the play develops it sure looks like it turns into an "option-to-the-trailing back" play (I'm not sure what that is properly called). If I remember correctly, it seems like the Falcons might have had an extra cornerback or a safety spying on Kap but who ended up being drawn outside of Kap's running lane by Kap faking a pitch out to Hunter. Kap gained a few yards on the play. Is this a new wrinkle to the pistol - having an option to a trailing back? (Sorry if a I mucked up some of the terminology.)
Seriously? 15 of the 21 passes are to Kaps right. 4 of the 6 passes to the left were routes < 5 yards from los. Explain?