There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from the Atlanta Falcons game coaches film

I feel the need to post something about the off coverage. It seems there is a majority that hate that we play off coverage so much and want to blame the off coverage for all the passing yards given up. To clarify, most of ATL's yards came in the 2nd half, mostly, in the 4th quarter. We played exclusively with off coverage the entire first half. The 2nd half is when we started integrating more press coverage.

The biggest difference was that Roddy White became a beast in the 2nd half and it didn't matter what we did to him, he still caught balls.

bear with all the pictures, but, I have to show a lot of different plays:

Here we're playing a cover 3 zone, with Whitner responsible for the 2 receiver side flat route. It looks like Whitner took the inside receiver. Rogers has to play off coverage because he has to take the deepest man in his 3rd, that could be White, it could be the inside receiver, he has to play off to cover both.

I don't think we're supposed to have 3 defenders on 2 guys in that part of the field, I think Whitner should've taken the flat responsibility, either him or Brooks blew their coverage which gave White the catch.

We play off Roddy again, this time they run a play action fake and throw it on a deep post.

The off coverage allows Brock to stay tight on the deep route

Ryan makes a good throw and White makes a good catch, didn't matter what defense we ran, they executed perfectly

We play off coverage again. This time White runs a curl route.

We're running cover 3 again, this time I think it's Willis who is held out of the flat because of the 2 inside receivers. Brock does jump the route aggressively(what I was talking about earlier, he wasn't the only one).

You see how close Brock was to jumping on the route, but, White does an excellent job of shielding the defender from the ball.

Here we play press coverage, White again runs a curl route.

Brock tries to get a jam but White dismisses his jam

in the end, Brock is pretty much in the same position as off coverage, and White does a good job of shielding from the defender again.

This was the critical 4th and 2 that ATL converted, we're playing press coverage on White again.

White makes a move on the defender and is able to create seperation

White again shield the defender from the ball.

And then the pick at the stick the off coverage allows Brock to jump on the route.

It was a lot more than simply, "pressing" the receivers to keep them from catching those short passes. I think a lot of us think we should just do what Seattle does and press every play, but that's not the style of defense we run. We're still in the top 3 in the league in points allowed - it's obviously working.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by natrone06:
No, whitner started in the box. That was 100% Reid's responsibility.

Whitner's only 3 yards closer to the line than Reid. Look at the play as a whole, look at the spacing of the LB's in zone coverage, they're not playing a 5 underneath zone coverage, if they are, then why is Whitner turning and running full speed back? Whitner is playing so close to the LOS because, from his view, the closest receiver to threatening his zone is a TE on the LOS.

You may have missed it but do you have any theories how Whitner always ends up on the dynamic TE's and bigger slot WR's (like Boldin) in the RZ/EZ? And why it's not Reid or even someone like Bowman/Willis contesting them at the LOS? Is it something in the design and assignments or things the offense is doing to isolate him? Either way, it's an automatic mismatch every time and WELL documented history over the past 3 or 4 years now. Fangio?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by natrone06:
No, whitner started in the box. That was 100% Reid's responsibility.

Whitner's only 3 yards closer to the line than Reid. Look at the play as a whole, look at the spacing of the LB's in zone coverage, they're not playing a 5 underneath zone coverage, if they are, then why is Whitner turning and running full speed back? Whitner is playing so close to the LOS because, from his view, the closest receiver to threatening his zone is a TE on the LOS.

You may have missed it but do you have any theories how Whitner always ends up on the dynamic TE's and bigger slot WR's (like Boldin) in the RZ/EZ? And why it's not Reid or even someone like Bowman/Willis contesting them at the LOS? Is it something in the design and assignments or things the offense is doing to isolate him? Either way, it's an automatic mismatch every time and WELL documented history over the past 3 or 4 years now. Fangio?

I'm not sure if it's so much Fangio's design, as it is the offense attacking him. Many of us remember Boldin's TD on him in the super bowl, although, I don't really blame that on him, we were running a cover 2 and they stole a good play design from GB to beat us on that play. This time, because we've given that up, we ran a cover 1 lurk with the LB, this mean Whitner would be 1-1 with the TE. Fangio has run a variety of different schemes in the endzone, just the way the play has turned out a couple times.
Hey how did Dixon do as FB i didnt wastch the game...
Originally posted by Since07:

He actually wasn't so bad from what I saw. The rushing statistics were pretty high so his blocking on those kinds of plays more than likely wasn't too far behind Miller.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
He actually wasn't so bad from what I saw. The rushing statistics were pretty high so his blocking on those kinds of plays more than likely wasn't too far behind Miller.

did a good job, it's harder to evaluate a position like that without knowing his exact responsibilities - the FB position has a lot of responsibilities that change about 4 times during the play depending on what the defense does. I can't offer much more than the low hanging fruit.

He blocked well on Hunter's 45 yard gain. Didn't have any glaring mistakes.

He and Tukuafu split the time at FB

On running plays, Tukuafu was a devastating force. If that guy can grow into the other parts of the game, Pass blocking and catching, he'd be an all pro FB. He absolutely destroyed a couple guys in run blocking. I remember one play in particular where he absolutely pancaked a LB into another guy, taking out 2 defenders.
Jonny, wouldn't press coverage probably have failed on Bowman's historic pick? A slant seems like a great route to beat press and we would have ran the risk of a relatively easy TD unless Brock got a really great jam at the line... On the slant route the WR doesn't run vertical so it seems like a good route to beat press, and harder for the DB to jam the WR. Do you agree?

Also, I think Brock prefers to play a little off at times and jump routes. He has had a lot of success with this style of play
[ Edited by sacniner on Dec 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM ]

On running plays, Tukuafu was a devastating force. If that guy can grow into the other parts of the game, Pass blocking and catching, he'd be an all pro FB. He absolutely destroyed a couple guys in run blocking. I remember one play in particular where he absolutely pancaked a LB into another guy, taking out 2 defenders.

had to show this play, it's awesome!

I highlighted Tukuafu behind the broadcast camera, he slams the LB who's trying to fill the hole.

You see he throws the LB into the other LB that slipped Boone's block.

He then finishes the block by pancaking his defender.

This is freaking awesome!
Originally posted by sacniner:
Jonny, wouldn't press coverage probably have failed on Bowman's historic pick? A slant seems like a great route to beat press and we would have ran the risk of a relatively easy TD unless Brock got a really great jam at the line... On the slant route the WR doesn't run vertical so it seems like a good route to beat press, and harder for the DB to jam the WR. Do you agree?

Also, I think Brock prefers to play a little off at times and jump routes. He has had a lot of success with this style of play

In my opinion - yes. But, it depends. I think it is important to have a mix, but, personally, I'm much more of a scheme disguise type of guy. It's harder to disguise when you have press coverage all the time. You're really limited in the defenses you can run.
Jonnydel, Didn't see it until this view, but did Tuku take out a 2nd guy also?
Hell yea! give TUfu the ball on 4th and 1
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

look at the last picture, see the two guys on the ground behind Tukuafu...... one of those was the 2nd guy, he's on top of the guy he blocked in the pic.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

look at the last picture, see the two guys on the ground behind Tukuafu...... one of those was the 2nd guy, he's on top of the guy he blocked in the pic.

what's so impressive about this play, is that it's just a simple lead dive. An offense is really only hoping to get about 4 yards at the most from this kind of play, Tukuafu destroys his guy so much they get 10 yards.
Originally posted by Antix:
Please never leave us.