There are 180 users in the forums

Did Patrick Willis save the NaVorro Bowman touchdown?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Ether
  • Veteran
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000303631/WK-16-Can-t-Miss-Play-Lighting-up-Candlestick

This is an honest observation and question. Watch the video of the Bowman return @ 0:12-0:13. #19 Drew Davis is chasing after Bowman with Willis in front and Ahmad Brooks closing in on him from the back. Ahmad Brooks comes from behind and pretty clearly pushes Drew Davis in the back. With the momentum Davis was carrying, if Brooks shoves him and Davis, without Willis there to inadvertently prop him up, falls over... would that have been a block in the back, and penalty on the return?
[ Edited by Ether on Dec 25, 2013 at 1:33 AM ]
patrick willis is f**kin awesome
Yep!! He did, I saw exactly the same thing and I was saying the same thing to my wife. Boneheaded play by Brooks but luckly P.Willis was there to save the play. But we would've won anyway, the offense would probably punched it in or just run out the clock.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Yep!! He did, I saw exactly the same thing and I was saying the same thing to my wife. Boneheaded play by Brooks but luckly P.Willis was there to save the play. But we would've won anyway, the offense would probably punched it in or just run out the clock.

Definitely would have more than likely punched it in. ATL, similar to the NFC Championship game last year, had no answer for our offense in the 2nd half. We did what we wanted, when we wanted and that pick demoralized them and pumped us up. So had they threw the flag there, I have no doubt in my mind that our offense still would of just ran the rest of the clock out and/or scored.
no
Meh it was a swipe in the back. The Bow was going to score anyway.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:

Definitely would have more than likely punched it in. ATL, similar to the NFC Championship game last year, had no answer for our offense in the 2nd half. We did what we wanted, when we wanted and that pick demoralized them and pumped us up. So had they threw the flag there, I have no doubt in my mind that our offense still would of just ran the rest of the clock out and/or scored.

But that would have robbed the fans and the 49ers of an iconic play to send off Candlestick. I wasn't trying to suggest that Willis saved the game, but just that he preserved that sickening 10/10 play.

That train's never late. Mike Nolan's defenses are known for two things: (a) "exotic" DB blitzes and (b) melting in the second half of football games.
[ Edited by Imfasterthanur on Dec 25, 2013 at 2:25 AM ]
lol no. Nobody was going to catch Bowman, regardless of a small shove.
Originally posted by Ether:

But that would have robbed the fans and the 49ers of an iconic play to send off Candlestick. I wasn't trying to suggest that Willis saved the game, but just that he preserved that sickening 10/10 play.

True but it was moot anyways. Brooks didn't even shove him that hard and the refs simply can't call that right there. He was still about 3-5 steps behind Bowman with another two 49ers (Whitner and Willis) in front of him. Davis was irrelevant that close to the endzone

Originally posted by Ether:

True but it was moot anyways. Brooks didn't even shove him that hard and the refs simply can't call that right there. He was still about 3-5 steps behind Bowman with another two 49ers (Whitner and Willis) in front of him. Davis was irrelevant that close to the endzone

agreed
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

That train's never late. Mike Nolan's defenses are known for two things: (a) "exotic" DB blitzes and (b) melting in the second half of football games.

Bend but don't break
No, Davis would still not have caught up in time. If he did, Bowman's momentum would have carried him in.
Illegal block in the back, #55 defense, TD nullified...1st & goal Atlanta
free thread!!!
Share 49ersWebzone